Califonia Neal

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by roh, Sep 1, 2008.

1. I am tying for a trip to Vancouver Island later this month, and one fellow I talked to out there last year swore by a pattern he called the California Neal. Does anyone know the dressing for this fly, or where I could find it? I've tried google, but no luck.

2. If you can take a look on page 10 of Art Lingren's book Contemporary Fly Patterns of British Columbia. There is a picture and receipe of the California Neil, AKA The Coho Bugger.

3. As mentioned above, Art Lingren's Contemporary Fly Patterns of British Columbia has the Coho Bugger (also known as "California Neil") a pattern from Frank Dalziel, roughly as follows:
    Hook size: 2 to 6
    Thread: 6/0 Fluorescent chartreuse
    Tail: Fluorescent chartreuse polar bear hair, 4 strands chartreuse Flashabou on top
    Body: Fluorescent chartreuse diamond braid
    Rib: Small green wire
    Hackle: Grizzly, palmered

As you know, patterns change rapidly, especially salmon patterns. Here's a version (and pictures) of the same fly that Les Johnson brought back from Vancouver Island last fall.

As above except:
    Body: Silver tinsel overwrapped with fluorescent chartreuse Edgebright (a translucent soft plastic sheet material) cut into thin strips

No rib required, the hackle stem slips down into the tiny gaps between the wraps of the plastic body material. The fluorescent orange head on one of the flies represents a very popular addition to many BC salmon patterns.

4. Thanks much guys. I'll get a few wrapped up before I go.

5. THe California Neal appears in Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon II as tied by Barry Stokes of Victoria BC. I fished it with Don McDermid and Art Limber last fall along one of Art's favorite Vancouver Island beaches. Art simply refers to it affectionately as, "The Neal". This little fly exemplifies the mystery of what "waiting period" salmon will snap at after they have stopped feeding but are still bright and feisty. It is small and unobtrusive, not unlike the Handlebar, Wizzard and other popular BC waiting period patterns -- that also work along our Washington beachs, by the way. I have a good supply tied for a trip to Vancouver Island coming up soon.
    Cheers,
    Les