California Neil

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Stonefish, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Since we will be encountering more staging coho, I thought others might want to tie up a few of these.
    I always finding it interesting how a pattern acquired it's name.
    Here the story of the California Neil and a step by step for tying it.
    I'll be putting some of these to use this weekend.
    SF

http://ospreyflyfishers.com/Patterns/California Neil.pdf
  2. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +262 / 3
    Thanks SF, I have always liked tying that pattern, but have never caught a fish on one!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  3. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +287 / 0
    You giving up on the salt Brian?
  4. flyfishmt Active Member

Laurel, MT
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    I just got back from two weeks on Vancouver Island fishing the mid-island beaches and rivers. The Neil was the go to fly in the salt, just as it always has been. However, this year, the smaller sizes (6 & 8) worked better than the larger flies. Clouser's in the smaller sizes also worked well.
    Stonefish likes this.
  5. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Matt,
    Not done yet. I'll be hitting the salt this weekend.
    I'm going to change a few things fly wise as things change the further we get into October.
    The California Neil and Croft's Spider will be part of the game plan.
    SF
    mtskibum16 likes this.
  6. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +287 / 0
    I was wondering. So do the later fish tend to stop actively feeding even in the usual saltwater travelling areas? I figured I was done after last weekend but after a dry week I'm thinking I'll probably hit it again.
  7. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Matt,
    I think some of the fish are still feeding. I caught a fish last weekend with loose scales and multiple herring in it.
    Another fish had set scale. a bit of color and a shrunken stomach. You know where I caught the fish so both are present in the same area.
    I just want to be have flies ready should I encounter both feeding and staging fish.

Based on reports I read, there were a good number of 6-9 lb silvers caught last weekend during the Sekiu derby. The winning coho was over 13 lbs.
    Sounds like there still more coming our way. This weather should keep them in the sound. You've got to love October salt coho!
    SF
  8. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,261 / 4
    I think it could still be worth it. The fish I cleaned on Monday had a stuffed stomach, including this really long baitfish looking thing that was a good six inches long.

Tying and fishing some of these smaller, more traditional patterns is something I really need to add to my game
  9. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Seriously? I might need to hit the beach another time or two...
  10. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +333 / 0
    For the body material I will often sub Lazer Wrap which is also called Edgebrite and instead of overlaying with mylar I will underlay with the mylar or tinsel to enhance the effect.