Calling all Lens Gurus...

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Baseball_Junkie, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Baseball_Junkie

Baseball_Junkie Fish Witcher

Ok, here is the deal. My wife is an avid photographer and would love a macro lens. I got her a Canon Rebel T2i fir Christmas last year. I don't know DICK about cameras except that I figured the better unit I bought her, the better pics of my fish she would take!!! So my question is can you guys give me some info and/or advice as to what I should get her? Can't spend a TON of $$$ or I won't have gas money to fish...:) so some help would be most appreciated. Her main macro subs are Mushrooms, Wild Flowers, insects and of course trout lips!!

Thanks all,
    Aaron

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I am not a "lens guru" by any stretch. I purchased a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro lens for my Nikon awhile back for macro work. Inexpensive, relatively speaking, and does a decent job for me. Switching from auto to manual focus is a little different on the Tamron lens and took me some time to get use to. The af is slow and a little noisy but other than that I have had nice results with it.

I'll try and post up some shots taken with the lens.

3. Wes Telyea

Wes Telyea Member

4. Baseball_Junkie

Baseball_Junkie Fish Witcher

Thanks. I'll check it out.

5. Wes Telyea

Wes Telyea Member

Another thing you can do to check for image quality is search a particular lens on flickr. The results will show you all the photo's with any lens you search.

6. reastiebeagle

reastiebeagle New Member

7. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

the cheapest solution is extension tubes, especially if you already have an 85 f1.8 or 50 f1.4

8. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Yes, it's true that this lens will take great photos....it'll take some of the most kick-ass, sharp close-ups your eyeballs will handle.

But, speaking from experience with this lens on a APS-C camera (my 40d has the same sensor size and field of view as your wife's Rebel)....I'd recommend you take a hard look at the newer, smaller, lighter, less expensive Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro. It has received stellar reviews and will be slightly wider angle than the 100mm....for bigger fish, I've found I need to back WAY up with my 100mm macro....unless I'm purposely trying to get a close-up of the eyes or something.

You can't go wrong with either lens. They're tack sharp, both of them. But I think the 60mm is a more versatile lens for all-around use on a 1.6x crop body. In fact, it was designed to function like the 100mm lens did on old film cameras.

Good luck! I wish my wife would be looking for lenses for me!