Camera questions

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by SpeySpaz, Feb 20, 2009.

1. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    shopping for a digital point-n-shoot right now. I'm liking the Olympus cameras right now for price and features, but because I'm an essentially lazy dude I'd like to be able to pull the card from the camera and stick it right into my little laptop here to download.
    Is that how it's done? I have a card slot on this notebook but don't know if compatibility between camera and laptop will be an issue.
    thinking about the stylus tough 8000
    spaz
  2. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +430 / 2
    How big, in inches across, is the card slot? Does it have a list of letters under it? Something like "SD/CF/MMC" etc.
  3. Jim Allen "Fish-On" Custom Fly Rods

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    New Olympus 8000 I think. Water resistant to 30 feet of water and built to take a beating. Saw it listed for about $400. I have gone through two digitals thanks to the river:beathead:

Jim9514
  4. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    the card slot on your lapyop should handle most of the popular memory cards being used by the camera manufactures.
  5. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    If you think using a USB cable is tough than your are in fact incredibly lazy.

What I mean is, if your laptop's built in card reader can't handle the camera you want's card don't get a different camera, get the camera you want that has the features you want and use a USB cable. USB is as simple as interfacing gets in the computer world.
  6. jergensCsquad Joe's brother

ellensburg WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    check out the new panasonic waterproof. IMO they make the best p&s cameras. What makes them so good is that they use leica lenses and the lens is what really matters.
  7. I think it may be time for Olympus to become a site sponsor. Stylus oly is the model of choice for most people looking for H20 proof camera. Lets start a poll, Pentax or Olympus?

I vote Olympus.
  8. ReelFlyBro Team Short Bus

Montucky
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    iagree. I want one too. the big bonus is not worrying about getting it wet. The other half still rags on me for the 2 cams that I ruined in the river. Underwater shots would be nice, too
  9. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
  10. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Josh, slot is 1" by about 1/8", should handle most common cards.

Jason, I AM an incredibly lazy dude. The ideal would be to be able to pop the card out and slide it right into my laptop, but I won't cry like a LEETLE GURLIE if I find myself having to use an adapter....just think it would be cool not to have to screw with it.
    thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm not much of a technorati.
  11. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Nobody has used that camera yet so who knows how good of a camera it will be.
  12. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    It is called a USB cable. I have like 200 of them from work related crap. Nobody wants them and most have too many. If you want a free "adapter" let me know. I have a pile of them, a good size pile.

It is soooooooo easy to use them you won't even call them an "adapter" or an "interface" as long as you know where My Computer is in Windows.

Also, I would stick with Pentax and Olympus. They have been doing the waterproof camera thing for over 4 years now and Panasonic and Canon's similar cameras aren't even out yet.
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,412 / 0
    I have an Olympus Stylus 500. It is water resitant(sp) but not water proof. But it took a swim in the Yakima one year. I didn't know it fell out of my pocket until I was going to take a picture and it wasn't there. I searched in the river for it and found it under a rock under the water. I opened it up then and there and took the battery and the card out. I took it home and had it dry out for about three days. I then put everything back in and turned it on. Been using it for four years now. Works like a champ.

Like the Olympus cameras.

Jim
  14. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    I'd suggest you look at Josh's review of both the Olympus and the Pentax WP cameras.
  15. jergensCsquad Joe's brother

ellensburg WA
    I personally have not been impressed with either WP camera from Pentax or Olympus. The quality of camera that you are gonna get from Panasonic or Canon trumps the fact that Pentax and Olympus have been making waterproof cameras longer.
  16. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    I'm curious what facts you have to back that up. After all, Pentax and Olympus only have a combined 130 years of experience building cameras and lenses. Believe me, I look at a lot of cameras every year. All the big camera companies make just about the same quality camera. Price range is far more important than brand name as far as quality goes.
  17. Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Josh.

Nicely said, and thanks for the camera advice it really did make my choice easier.

BD.
    :thumb:
  18. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    In general I agree, the Pentax and Olympus cameras are great and nobody has seen Panasonic and Canon's (though I will see both at PMA in Vegas in two weeks). But to be fair to the onther companies (and Canon particularly), they aren't beginners in this world. Canon made waterproof point and shoot cameras back in the late 90's in both 35mm and APS film formats. Film may have given way to digital, but the mechanics of waterproofing remain much the same. And Panasonic has been making waterproof flash video cameras in recent years, which isn't going to be any different than making a waterproof camera as long as you can make a decent camera to begin with (and Panasonic's LX3 proves that they can do that).

Attached Files:

19. jergensCsquad Joe's brother

ellensburg WA
    I have used both Pentax and Olympus WP cameras and have not been impressed by the results. The build quality of the cameras IS probably equal across the board for the big name brands. The difference will be seen in the lens that is used. If you do not believe that Canon makes a better lens then Pentax or Olympus just take a look at the sidelines of a sporting event and notice how many white lenses you see. I can't imagine that all of those professional photographers choose Canon simply because of the name.

I realize that the new Panasonic and Canon WP cameras have just been released and have not been fully tested. These cameras are definitely worth checking out thought not just because of the name but because their reputation for making high quality cameras.

This is just my two cents and I am not professional photographer but am basing this off my own use of cameras.

A sight worth checking out would http://www.dpreview.com they do very in-depth testing and reviews of the majority of digital cameras.
  20. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Everyone is free to believe whatever they want. My opinion is worth exactly what anyone's is on the internet, nothing. But I promise you, I live this stuff every day. I've been a professional photographer for coming on 10 years now. I have been published in national and international magazines. I've worked for all sorts of clients from ESPN to EA Sports to bike companies to skateboard companies to shoe companies, newspapers, ski resorts, magazines, and so on. Today, I run the largest general photography education/community website in the world. In two weeks, I'll be at the PMA (photo manufacturers assoc) trade show and will have meetings with people from Canon/Nikon/Sony/Pentax/Kodak/Leica and a whole host of others.

There are many things in my life that I don't know shit about. Lots of those things have to do with fishing (and women). But one thing I do know, and know well, is photography.

Without getting into a large discussion of what you didn't like, I would guess that your opinion has more to do with the difficulties of building a waterproof camera than with the actually quality of the products that Oly or Pentax can produce. Waterproof P&S cameras are never as good as their dry land counterparts. If only for the fact that the lens is hidden behind a lawer of glass that a normal lens doesn't have to deal with. Every time you put something in between the sensor and the subject, you degrade the image. In an honest comparison, technological advances that have been made in-between product releases aside, I really don't think you would be able to say that the images from the forthcoming Canon/Panasonic cameras compared any better to their non-waterproof companions. Perhaps I will be wrong and Canon/Panasonic will blow everybody away. But I seriously doubt it.

For one thing, designing lenses for a tiny p&s sensor is a million times easier than designing them for a full frame DSLR sensor. Just because a company does one and not the other doesn't mean that they don't know what they are doing. Or, to say it differently, a company doesn't have to make lines and rods just to be able to make a good rod. there might be useful stuff to learn from making both, but it is hardly a requirement. For another thing, comparing DSLR's that cost thousands of dollars to point and shoot cameras that cost a few hundred is meaningless. Do you really think that is a $2000 Canon "L" glass lens in a $200 point and shoot camera? No, of course not. So why should what pros use be any consideration when choosing a point and shoot camera?

But since we're having the conversation, what pros use is based on a number of different reasons many of which have little to do with anything anyone on this forum cares about. Here's one example: all those white canon lenses you see at sporting events. Canon was far ahead of Nikon in both creating in-lens focus motors and in-lens image stabilization. This caused a number of professional sports photographers to switch in the mid 90's from Nikon to Canon. Those giant lenses are really hard to hold steady and the action is moving fast that they need to be focusing on. So, kudos to Canon. Nikon eventually caught up a few years later and now offer a full line of lenses in the same fashion. Note that it was never the optical quality of the lenses or the capabilities of the bodies that were in question, just the extra features of the lenses themselves. However, once having made the switch, pro's weren't likely to switch back after having investing somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-30,000 in a pile of those giant lenses. So, while there isn't any real quality difference at this point between Canon and Nikon, you are going to see more big white canon lenses at a sporting event. It's not because Canon is any better at this point, it's because working photographers don't have $10,000 for a new 800mm lens just so they can switch camera brands.

Then there is the fact that professional photographers don't use cameras from a company like Olympus because Olympus doesn't offer a pro series body these days. They have left that market to Canon and Nikon and decided to focus more on consumer cameras. That doesn't mean that Olympus knows any less about consumer cameras than Canon, it just means that they know less about pro bodies than Canon. And even that is just about the bodies themselves. Pentax and Olympus's optical knowledge would stack up well against any company in the world.

They absolutely will be worth checking out. Canon and Panasonic DO make great cameras. I have a Panasonic LX3 on the desk to the right of me and a Canon 5D to the left of me as I type this. However, "they are worth checking out" isn't what you previously said. You said, point blank, that the quality of a camera you were going to get from Canon or Panasonic was better than from Pentax or Olympus. That, in my opinion, simply isn't true. When dealing with any of the big camera companies, most of the time, cameras in a given price range will be overall equal in quality. Sure, there are a few gems and a few dogs, but 95% of the time my statement holds true.

DPreview is a fine site for technical comparisons. They do a very good job of comparing all the nitty gritty details. They don't get into what I think matters most, which is how the camera is to actually use and how it performs in the real world. After all, very few of us spend our time shooting lens resolution test charts with our camera bolted to a tripod in a controlled studio environment. But DPreview's information is useful as a part of your decision making process if you are the type who likes to do a lot of research. I just wouldn't use them as a 100% resource as they don't look at 100% of what matters about a camera. Also, don't forget that DPreview is owned by Amazon. Amazon has a vested interest in selling cameras and they sell millions of dollars worth of them. So make sure you read between the lines. In fact, that is good advice for any camera review. Or any review of anything really.

Again, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.