camera

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by toadthedry, Jan 19, 2004.

1. toadthedry

toadthedry Member

Any suggestions for a cheap water proof camera (or non water proof camera with some type of water proof camera bag) to take fishing.

Thanks
    mike

2. PeteM

PeteM Member

The disposables work well for this. I put one in a ziploc bag and carry it. They don't take super great pictures but I don't worry about breaking, loosing, or water logging them.

Pete

3. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
  4. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Heres my question, is there a waterproof DIGITAL camera out there for under 500.00? Or and waterproof case that would work for the Kodak higher line digital cams? Thansk!

Peter ><>

John 14:6

5. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here is some info on housings for Digital Cameras:
    http://www.gizmo-review.com/canon_powershot/underwater-housing-for-canon-powershot-g1.htm

In addition to the 35mm, I use a Canon G2 digital for a great deal of my photography. The G2 has come down significantly in price over the past 2-3 years and now there is the G3 out. Both are 4 Megapixel cameras. I believe that Canon is the leader in Digital photography.

If I'm looking at taking pictures underwater, I use my 35mm. If it's super rainy and wet, I use my 35mm. If it's relatively dry and I'm not going to submerge my camera, I shoot the digital. The housings on the waterproof camera can get a little bulky.

Steve Buckner
    www.northwestflyfisherman.com

6. boneman

boneman Guest

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I understand that Olympus has a water resistance camera out there. But not to sure of the price. Go on line and find out. It would be faster.

Jim

8. ZugBug

ZugBug Member

Media:
    I've had a Minolta Weathermatic Dual35 for about 10 years. Works great,takes alot of abuse and is waterproof to 16ft. Don't know if they are still made, but you can get them used for less than $50 or new for about $80 on eBay.

That Canon looks like a nice rig too.

Hopefully this pic shows up. It is the only one I have scanned. That's a 20" cutthroat being played to my buddy's float tube.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/dc/user_files/1051.jpg

9. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

I have the Olympus Stylus 400. It is a 4.0 meg camera that is very small and water resistant. I have found the pictures to be of excellent quality. A recent search on Ebay will show you bids starting in the $125-150 range. I do not know what the buying bids are, but they are retailing in the $400 range.
    Good luck.

10. ZugBug

ZugBug Member

Media:
  11. msteudel

msteudel Mark Steudel

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'd second the Olympus Stylus 400 ...

12. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Keep in mind that "water resistant" and "waterproof" are two different beasts. A water resistant camera is designed to resist splashes and rain, not underwater submersion. Good waterproof cameras are not cheap. I was looking at a waterproof case for underwater shooting with my Canon S50 and the housing alone was $240.

13. Brian

Brian New Member

My wife got me the Olympus Stylus 400 from Costco.com. for Christmas. $349.00 after rebate. My buddy has the 300 model and we put it through many rainy weather days on the OP with no problem. It takes excellent picture.
    Brian

14. Dblhaul

Dblhaul Member

Media:
    I just got the Pentax Optio 33WR, a water resistant digital. Very pleased with the pictures I took over the weekend, and the software that is provided is very easy to use. It retails for 350, but, you can find it in the 260 range online.

15. bugnuts

bugnuts Member

Ditto on the Pentax Optio 33WR...small, 3.2 megapixels, and it is rated water resistant to some standard called JIS-7 which includes immersion (not that I plan on taking it snorkeling anytime soon). I also bought a neoprene "glove" that's made for the camera...all the holes are in the right places with a clear plastic cover over the video monitor...cool stuff. With good batteries & charger, protective cover and upgraded card to 128 MB, I'm still in it under $400.

16. Osprey

Osprey New Member

I strongly recommend that you look at the Canon Elph Sport. While I am not keen on the APS film system, the camera takes great pictures, has 3 formats including a great panorama, is extremely small and light (thanks to the APS system), and is waterproof to 5 meters (16+ ft.). With its size, I can wear it around my neck on a lanyard and because it is waterproof I don't have to worry about dropping it in the river. Yahoo shopping turns up lots of retailers selling the Elph Sport in the $120-150 range.

:thumb

17. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Media:
    Home Page:
    If it takes a while to save up the scratch to get the good waterproof - or the big scratch for a waterproof digital - I have been pretty happy with the waterproof disposables. Better than the disposable with a baggie setup for sure, and mine have taken some serious dunkings. The bummer of them is that they don't have a flash, and lots of the best fish come at low light. I did see a waterproof vivitar for like $25 at Target - might have been water resistant - that would probably take equal pictures to the disposables, but also had a flash and could be reloaded. Also, not a great solution, but if you're a cheapskate like me...

Teeg.

-------------------------------------------------
    You can be a fish recycler, too. Let 'em swim.
    www.recycledfish.org