Camp Chef propane firepits

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Josh, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Anyone have one of the camp chef propane firepits? I'm thinking more backyard than camping. But i could see them being cool for car camping as well if you were somewhere with a burn ban.

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    0419131938.jpg 0427131153.jpg

Love mine. Bought it for same reason you want one. Puts out a lot of heat once the rocks heat up. Warning you'll burn a tank a night since its a high output burner.

3. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Any reason to get the bigger over the smaller or vice versa? It looks to me like the burner/rocks area are about the same size on each. with the one you've got having a bit more "bowl" and the external ring.

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, mines just bigger and fancier. It actually is bigger all the way around (if you see them side by side, definitely much bigger rock wise). Does radiate heat out a bit more because of it (bigger reflecting surface and rocks spread out more to push heat as well). But can easily get by with the smaller one. It is different, someone could probably give the scientific reasoning. You can truly feel it when the rocks warm up.

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Propane firepit is a contradiction in terms. Either it's a propane burner, or it's a firepit. Can't be both. I'm sympathetic about burn bans, but hell will freeze over before I use a propane burner for a campfire. Hmpf!

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh contraire mon fraire (or however you spell it). We used the pit above as a wood burning firepit. ;) Plus by definition any contraption not in the ground wouldn't be considered a "firepit" anyways.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    By the way, TRUST me on this one (since I'm guessing I probably do more camps then most). When there's a fireban, the party dwindles really quick without a firesource. Add this and it puts the party back on for the night. The Cowlitz comes to mind, at the Blue Creek Campground.