camp grouse recipe

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Alex MacDonald, Sep 15, 2010.

1. give this one a try, gents: breast out the grouse and put the breasts in a zip loc bag with pepper and garlic powder, let them sit overnight. Dredge in flour seasoned with sea salt, and sautee in a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Serve with rice and asparagras spears, and don't forget the champagne!!

2. Leave the shot and feathers in...? Just kidding...

3. Thank you sir..that is going in the recipe book for shore. Though I haven't hunted those dumb ass chix for years, I just may have to start again..that sounds delish. And Roper..what shot? You just take the head off with a .22 or muzzie. Much less chance of chompin on steel. Feathers are another issue :rofl:

4. Try adding a little apple juice to the overnight thing.

5. I just finished the last of my opening harvest. Mostly stir fried in bacon drippings with onion, bell pepper, salt, pepper, cayenne, and curry powder. Served over basmati rice, steamed cauliflower and some sparkling apple juice.

6. Sounds great & love cast iron . . . I believe that properly seasoned & marinated, old hunting boots would be good out of a cast iron skillet. My Son refers to my Dad's old & well-seasoned 22" elk camp skillet as "The Husband Killer."

7. Alex, sounds like a great dish. Now I've got to get out and get the main ingredient.

8. Karl, Roper's semi-accurate on this one! He was waaay too close for the extra-full barrel, but it was the only one loaded!! Adams picked it up and shook it, hoping to hear it rattle!:rofl:

Will try the apple juice next time, Mark-sounds really good!!

9. Awesome, Now try the over night deal with a touch of wine, your choice!

10. We cooked our opening grouse as such:

Soaked the breast in kosher salt brine for a few hours. Fry up bacon until they are almost crispy...need to be able to wrap latter. Remove grouse from brine and pat dry, heat bacon drippings and brown each side of grouse (tops 1 minute each side, you want the pan hot so that the meat browns and seals as soon as it hits the pan!). Remove grouse from pan let cool, butterfly, place gouda cheese inside (not smoked, and any kind of white soft cheese would work), and wrap with bacon. Mince a shallot, and a head of garlic. Prepare baking pan by coating bottom with bacon grease (not much just a light coating), place grouse in pan, add chicken broth (just enough to have 1/2 of the grouse above), a cup of white wine, spread shallots and garlic, and add pepper to taste. Bake in oven uncovered for 45 minutes at 325. During the 45 minutes cook basmati rice utilizing the remaining chicken broth (if you purchase one of those cardboard containers). After 45 minutes remove grouse, use a turkey baster to remove 2-3 cups of drippings, place in sauce pan and slowly add flower to thicken. Serve with a vegetable of choice...please no brussel sprouts or beats!

11. What's wrong with beets? How do you think those Russians live to the 100's? Borsht!

12. Brussel spouts..yummm if you know how to cook 'em.
    Pickled beets...yum. Creamed beets..blahhh.

13. I'm by far not a picky eater...not possible when you are raised in a Polish household and get served a bowl of duck blood soup...but place beets down in front of me and hand me a bucket because they evoke an instant gag reflex.

BTW - I thought it was the yogurt that the Russians eat that makes them live to 100...at least that is what Dannon Yogurt advertised.

14. Nyet-Vas Vodka: Staraya Moskva, tovarisch!!

15. do svidania...

16. You know, Roper, in picking up a package at a post office in CA several years ago, I was mildly shocked to find instructions written in Russian along with the usual Spanish, Vietnamese, and Hmong-which wasn't actually a written language until Fresno State made one up for them; what a world; what a world!

17. We're still trying to cope with Genesis 11...