Camping at Leech Lake

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by sportsman, Jun 23, 2003.

1. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Interested on info any one could provide on the camping situation at Leech Lake: Do you need reservations and if so how who do you contact? Might have a small trailer or just a tent. Any inexpensive motels close? Thanks in advance for any help. Fred

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    There are a number of fairly primitive sites at Leech Lake. All are on the lake itself, and they can get taken pretty easily by folks. I would plan on arriving on a Friday morning to be assured a site on a nice summer weekend.

I don't think that reservations are available, its first come first served. And there does not appear to be anyone who regularily visits the site, except for garbage collection. You're on your own.

Motels? Heck, there isn't much of a grocery store within 20 miles. Greenwater is back past the Crystal Mt. cutoff, Randle is probably 30 miles away, with Packwood about 20. I bet Randle has a hotel, but I am not sure about Packwood.

Rob

3. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Tight Loops: thanks for the info on the camping situation, sounds exactly like the kind of spot I prefer. Fred:thumb

4. kal

kal Member

There are a couple of hotels in Packwood, not sure if they are cheap or not. I second the need to arrive early on a Friday or better yet Wednesday. There are not that many prime spots on the lake, some of them would not work at all for a trailer and barely for a tent. There is a horse camping area a little farther back that would work if there are no spots left at the lake.

5. orkila

orkila Member

Tried to use my tent trailer at leech a few Fridays ago but couldn't get it into the few spots that were left. Went down the road a few miles and camped at the cc at the east end of clear lake, Lots of space down there, there seems to be an endless string of campgrounds around clear and rimrock.

6. OlyTroutGuy

OlyTroutGuy New Member

Home Page:
    Anyone know how the fishing has been up there at Leech? Heading there this Thursday.

7. Jerry Arlington

Jerry Arlington Member

Home Page:
    I got a warning ticket at Leech last Saturday for not paying a fee.

By the way fishing wasn't that good, however, it did snow, rain, sleet and mild hail that day, but we did catch 5 trips and several small brooks before the wind blew us off the lake. We did not have enough cloths with us for that weather burst!

I know there is an overnight fee but was not aware that one had to pay to park and fish for the day!

Is there a parking fee for fishing for the day? Or did someone assume I was over night parking?

Arlington

8. kal

kal Member

I did pretty good on Saturday, even if it was cold as @#%%. You do have to pay a day use fee to park in that area now. I think that is a new deal. You can also purchase a forest pass, ask at the ranger station. I'm not sure how it all works but if you look at the sign there are a bunch of different passes that will work there.
    kurt

9. Fonda

Fonda New Member

We live in Packwood and there are several motels and lodges locally 4 in packwood and several between Packwood and randle that will put you withing approx 23 miles of Leech Lake. they have really cut back the services at White Pass no gas up there now either so fill up before you head up good luck;-)

10. riverdog

riverdog Member

Media:
    The Village Inn is on the southwest corner of the lake, just off Hwy 12. The studio I stay in (#3) is $55 a night. I park in the Village Inn parking lot for free and walk down to the lake with my gear. If you have a float tube or light pontoon boat, and not too much extra gear, this can be done in one trip. I love to camp, but at certain times of the year, White Pass is a mosquito war zone. There's nothing like a couch, refrigerator, bed, shower, toilet, and stove to take the edge off after a long day on the lake. The store/gas station near the Village Inn is not bad, either. Nothing deluxe, but they have the staples and/or hot light food for a quickie meal. Packwood is only 25 minutes away, and there are several hotels/motels there, also.

Andrew:beer1