Camping Fees?? Really...!!

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by dryflylarry, Aug 11, 2013.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    OK, so I have lost touch with the realty of camping fees. I've been going to Idaho every fall for 12 years or so. Stay for free along rivers or pay, now, the Senior Access fee of 50% which is usually about $6. But, dedided to take my g-friend to Grayland on Thursday and Friday night. We went to the Grayland State Park. The camping fee there was $35! I personally think that is highway robbery and totally outrageous. How can a family afford to go camp?!!! Three days for a $100. I am way out of touch with these camping fees. I guess I'm just used to camping in the woods mostly. Wholly smokes, that's crazy. Might as well rent a motel. I think the motel rate at the Tokeland Motel is $65 a night. When I pulled in I was expecting a $23 camping fee, but, because it's closer to the water than the other nearby state park, they gouge for higher rent. Ridiculous I say. Camping is only for the rich? I call bullshit! Thanks for the rant.
    :)

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    $35 per night? For camping in one of our state parks? That sucks, Larry!
    I had no idea that its gotten that high. Wow!
    Its no wonder that I read and hear about so many folks trying to camp on the stealth around here.
    Sounds like they have figured out the average cost of fuel for a passenger vehicle taking a round trip from the I-5 corridor to the coastal beaches and back, and try to match it. Charging what enough of the people will bear, without leaving too many vacant camp sites.

dryflylarry likes this.
  3. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

Sounds like to many Californians moved up there and are running the show

BASS_TURDS and dryflylarry like this.
  4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Yes, it sucks, I agree. We still camp, but you really have to budget for the trip a lot more than just a decade or so ago.

dryflylarry likes this.
  5. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I stopped by the local Millpond campsite last week to check out the boat 'launch'. Before driving down to the water I read the bulletin board before going in. The camp is managed by some out of state outfit and is poorly maintained. I have slid my pontoon boat in there numerous times before but now there is a sign stating that it cost $5.00 to launch a boat. There is also a warning that boat trailers are not advised at the launch. I drove on down to see what I got for my $5.00 and what was there was about 25' of mud wallow out to the water. Apparently some guy behind a desk in Kansas or some freakin' place has decreed that launching in that mudhole is worth at least five bucks but has no idea what he is charging for.

No sale. I'll take my Super Fat Cat to the other end of the lake where I can launch for free off of a gravel bank. There are some monstrous browns in that lake but the lack of an adequate ramp and being charged to use said 'ramp' is keeping the fish relatively safe.

Ive

triploidjunkie and dryflylarry like this.
  6. dryflylarry

Media:
    Yeah Jim, your neighborhood!! Well, heck, we have surfers there now too!!! Probably from California! ;) Camping at Twin Harbors State Park is $23, a lot better deal...... I guess...

And Ive, if you didn't know, most or a lot of the National Forest Campgrounds are run by "private" companies contracted with the US Government. (I personally hate this. I would rather pay someone that is a government employee that once, had some sort of retirement....yeah right...no chance in todays screwed up world.) One of the private companies is HooDoo. For every $10 they make, I'm sure the US Government might get $1.00!!! Any bets on that one? And.....they have "Camp Hosts" that get practically nothing except a "free place" to stay all summer. Wow, what a bargain....

7. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Media:
    Home Page:
    Stay away from the California State Parks, Carlsbad and everything in the vicinity was $50/night!

8. Siskiyoublues

Siskiyoublues Member

Hm. I never have to pay campground fees until I cross over into Oregon.

9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Larry, I guess that Grayland St Pk is considered a "premier" park, and Twin Harbors is probably just your run of the mill state park. I actually like walking the beach at Twin Harbors better, since it gets decent surf at times, and is only 2 miles to the N of me. Where I live is kind of in the twilight zone. ;) I like to walk it in the Winter and early Spring, usually heading to the north. That stretch is known as Cohasset Beach.
    The beach out in front of Grayland St Pk is flatter, and is a better razor clamming beach. Hard to say which is the better surf perch beach, but they have been biting lately.

For day use, my local fave is still Westhaven. I spent a few hours there today playing in the surf.

10. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

Shoot, you live in an area that never see people and you want us to believe that Californians don't pay camping fees? Try $35/night minimum depending on where you go.

11. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I'm sure I'm waaaaay out of touch with this sort of thing, but $35/night seems like something you'd pay to park a motorhome at a KOA where you get power and water.

Trapper

triploidjunkie and constructeur like this.
  12. Siskiyoublues

Siskiyoublues Member

Hah I just know what I know. I don't travel south of Redding into southern california too often so I s'pose I'm out of touch.

13. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

Your lucky you live in the North and out of this hell hole. Camping has gotten expensive in Kalifornia. Arnold made sure of that.

14. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I camped near weaverville, CA a month ago and I think it was $6/night.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G

15. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

I sure miss the Grayland RV site that was right next to the Dunes restuarant...had the 5' Razor clam out front. Only cost $10.00 each nite for the tent trailer. 1 minute walk to the beach for Razors, head to the harbor in Westport for Crabbing using rings, by the time you had a limit it was time to head back for Surf Perch. Cook ,clean, eat and drink until morning. I really miss those days..spirit is there, but I'm missing too much of L4/L5 to ever do it again!

16. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Active Member

My wife and I spend the summer in our RV in an RV park on the Yellowstone River north of Yellowstone National Park.

A few years ago, I calculated our cost per night, including everything - amortizing the cost of our RV, fuel, taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc.

The total cost per night came out to something like 300.00. The cost for the "camping" space at the RV park is a small part of that cost, at about $25.00 per day.

When you think of it like that, the cost for the camping spot isn't too bad!

John

17. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Why I don't camp at state parks, ever.

18. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Parks, campgrounds, and public land maintenance are 'discretionary spending' , the first and deepest cuts made in this era of 'out of control' budgets.

I hope our kids remember the value of public land, we just cast it off like yesterday's horoscope.

19. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    When Recreation Fee Demo was going on everybody was complaining about recreation fees, except for campground fees. I felt we were pricing out the public with the high campground fees. BUT NOBODY CARED, EXCEPT ME!!! And quite frankly, in a government job if nobody cares as a government employee you really are out on a limb making an issue of it.

A correction on your post: National Forest Campgrounds are NOT run by private companies. They are run by the Forest Service. The Forest Service sets ALL the parameters that the concessionaires operate under and the standards they must meet. Don't blame the concessionaire's: complain to the Forest Service.

Your pretty close on the $10-$1 return to the Forest Service. But remember most of the expense of running a campground is routine maintenance and operation including clean toilets!! So that really is not a bad return. That $1 is used for LANDLORD maintenance. Just like an apartment....they are somethings a tenant is responsible for and somethings a landlord needs to fix. It is almost exactly the same split on the campground concessionaires.

Concessonaire "camp hosts" are NOT subject to the standard overtime and wage laws. They have their own special law that applies to ski areas and campgrounds. I had a call from a Department of Labor employee about a complaint filed by a concessionaire employee. I told him that the Forest Service would abide by ANY Department of Labor determination since they are the government agency responsible for labor laws. He said he would FIX the problem. I never heard from him again.

Congress. You elect them and they pass the laws. Talk to them. But remember "WE HAVE THE BEST GOVERNMENT MONEY CAN BUY". So don't be surprised if they blow you off....unless you made some political contributions.

So Larry, does this help or make you feel worse about this issue??

20. dryflylarry

Media:

Well, I guess we can thank the Forest Service for setting those parameters? My real complaint is about the Washington State Parks camping fees. Most of the time, the National Forests don't gouge too badly, but, they are getting there and the fees are rising. Lucky for me I have my Senior Access Pass....so, when they charge $40, I'll get a great discount for $20... I guess I don't really understand what you say about the Forest Service running the show. They still are paying HooDoo, a private company, to take care of the places. I don't like it!!! Sounds like a screwjob to me. I would still rather see a Forest Service employee in there Forest Service shirt, working, not HooDoo.
    One observation, a little off subject here. I have camped in Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Montana on Forest Service campgrounds. The cleanest are all of them, EXCEPT Washington National Forest sites where I have been. Pig stys, compared to Oregon/Idaho, etc. What's with that?????? When I was in Oregon last month, they guy came by and actually cleaned the restroom with a pressure washer, etc.
    I was impressed!!! Washington NF campgrounds are pretty bleak in my opinon!