Camping/fishing in Washington, please advise

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by twobeer, Jun 30, 2012.

1. twobeer New Member

redmond
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hello guys,

I usually fish in BC, but in two weeks comes an opportunity to spend a weekend camping/fishing in WA. Can you you please recommend a location? Tent camping, so do not need any hookups.
    What I would like:
    - decent scenery
    - a lake where I can cast flies from my inflatable and hope to catch some fish
    - accessible by car
    - under 3 hours drive from Seattle

Thank you,
    Max
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,233 / 9
    Deception Pass State Park:
    - Fantastic Scenery
    - Pass Lake and Cranberry Lake within minutes of your camp site are very inflatable and fly fishing friendly
    - Salt water all around, check your regs!
    - all accessible by car
    - under three hours from Seattle, you practically drive past there on your way to BC

Book your reservations soon, then start reading on those two lakes using the search function. You won't be disappointed.
  3. twobeer New Member

redmond
    Deception Pass looks like a great spot, thank you very much!
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,233 / 9
    Share a report with us when you are done.
  5. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +456 / 0
    You might want to look into a Big twin lake trip near winthrop. Its abit longer drive than three hours from seattle but not much. There are other fishing oppertunitys in the area very close by
  6. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +941 / 0
    I'd take Ed's suggestion of Deception Pass. It looks like summer is finally coming to E WA as it's supposed to finally start hitting the 90's later this week. (108 is predicted for Sunday in Wenatchee) In two weeks, Big Twin will most likely be too warm to fish and the river will still be pretty high from run-off.
  7. twobeer New Member

redmond
    So far did not get to camp in Washington, so here is my latest trip to Leighton lake near Merritt, BC.
    Upon arriving at the spot everything looked fabulous - low winds, reasonably clear water, damselflies fluttering about.

[IMG]

So tied on a damselfly and off I went. Few casts later - a strike! Another cast and I landed this fishy. Looks like it escaped some netting operation at spawning grounds :)
    Next cast, violent strike, and my tippet broke! Wow! All anticipation, I tied on another damsel and got ready for the action! Well, the action never came :) Many casts later hooked into a smaller fish which got away at the boat. Drowning chironomids under a float did not produce any response either. Landed a smallish fish the next day and that was it.
    [IMG]