camping gear request for Burke Museum/Tribal Journey

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by tasiae, Jun 29, 2010.

1. tasiae

tasiae New Member

Greetings from the Burke Museum! The Burke needs outdoor gear for a unique cultural exchange that the museum has facilitated with the indigenous Ainu people of Japan and Northwest tribes. In July they will be participating in the annual Tribal Journey canoe trip, hosted by the Makah tribe, that both revitalizes and celebrates their cultural traditions.

From July 10-25, we are looking to borrow:
    6 sleeping bags
    4 sleeping mats
    1 tent (sleeping at least 2 people)
    2 tarps
    4 folding chairs
    2 soft cooler bags
    4 flashlights
    4 life jackets
    4 dry bags

Contributors will receive 2 invitations to a July 27 gala event, celebrating the end of this cultural exchange, as thanks for supporting the Journey.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for your consideration!

Best wishes,

Tasia Endo
    Program Assistant
    Burke Museum
    tasiae@uw.edu

2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    this has to be a bad joke.

3. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    I agree. My initial thoughts are better left unsaid!

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'd say this has to be a joke. First post and asking this? If it's not a joke, then for being a "museum" you should be able to go to REI or any of the other sporting goods stores and get everything you need donated.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    If this is in support of a tribal long boat on the canoe journey wouldn't a more traditional setup be appropriate? The two tickets to the festival would be great though.

6. bitterroot

Media:
    I am making a journey back to Montana with hopes of revitalizing and celebrating the cultural roots of my forefathers. In the interest of wanting to experience what life was like from a historical and cultural perspective I would appreciate donations of the following gear:

18' X 20' canvas wall tent
    Wood burning stove for above tent
    1 cord of seasoned, chopped and split firewood for above stove
    Complete set of Mountain Hardware goretex rain gear
    Complete set of REI fleece base layers, tops and bottoms
    Flashlights w/ extra batteries and L.E.D. headlamps
    REI sleeping cots, down sleeping bags w/ soft cotton liners
    Camp Chef 3 burner propane stove w/ complete set of non-stick cookware, utensils, etc.
    GPS tracking device
    Honda generator (one of the quiet models)
    Portable TV set with built in dvd player, portable satellite dish
    Coleman coolers
    Sage or Winston fly rods in weights 3 thru 7, appropriate reels to match
    Fully stocked C&F fly boxes, flies should be appropriate for Montana trout, dries and nymphs
    Simms chest waders, guide model, size L
    30.06 hunting rifle w/ Leupold scope
    14' aluminum drift boat w/ trailer. Must have anchor system, graphite composite oars and cup holders installed.

As you can imagine, this will be an extended stay of "living off the land" and I hope to gain a better understanding of the rigors that my family endured in their first ventures out west in the 1800's.
    I expect this to be a very educational and humbling experience.

Thankyou.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just nix the Montana for Nebraska (since it's my roots), XLK waders, and a 16' drift boat and I want what he's having too. :)

8. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Albums:
    You guys may laugh, but my company gets requests like the Burke's and Bitterroot's everyday. Sometimes it is a request for legitimate sponsorship that is mutually beneficial but most often it looks like the above whether it's from "My Boyscout troop is..." or mostly "I'm going to take a year off and go play around the world so will you give me free crap?" or "I'm going to hike the AT/PCT/CDT/paddle the Boundary waters/ski to the North Pole/fill-in-the-blank so will you give me free crap..." Most of them are very poorly written requests without any convincing reason why we should give them free stuff so they go in the trash without a second glance. Bitterroot's request is actually way better than most of the ones we get! (but Lonnie, sorry - No)

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    I believe it Sue. I get them too. They think I have some pull with Camp Chef and ask for full setups free.

10. bitterroot

Media:
    Jerry, Please take note of list above. You do see a Camp Chef 3 burner don't you??? Where do you think I had planned on getting it??

11. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

You guys are more skeptical than me, and that's something. The email is legit and she is on the UW staff directory.

Doesn't UW have an equipment rental program? The cost is usually very reasonable.

An Indian feast would be worth loaning some camping crap.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Last year's canoe journey was hosted by the Suquamish Tribe on their Kitsap Peninsula land. They had over 1500 people there for the festivities. Two tickets to that party would be impressive indeed.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Stewart, if you had the job I have, you'd see that there are alot of crooks even in well respected positions. Being on staff of a school doesn't make one instantly a good person or doing something with good intentions. Not saying the person isn't, but to come onto a site like this and have that for a first post is a HUGE red flag. Especially being a moderator as long as I have for the two fishing boards I run. So yeah, I saw that as well about them, and still didn't make me feel any more comfortable about the post.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh, yeah Stewart. That's ANOTHER HUGE red flag for me. Every University I know of this size usually has a gear rental program. Hell, some even rent rafts and the likes. They could even go to places like the military bases and see if they'd donate thier gear for that trip (since every base does have gear rental programs as well).

15. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

Jerry, I wasn't questioning your judgment, and apologize if you took it that way. You are (of course) entitled to your own opinion and to act as you see fit. I did find the skepticism amusing though, since I am routinely pegged as being a bit too skeptical. Nothing against you or anybody else. I promise. I try not to come across as a dick, but sometimes I think I manage to even when I'm not trying. Especially on the web.

My daughter and I went to a native dance thing a few months ago. It was free and we needed something to do. They fed us salmon and prime rib.

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Stewart, nothing in my post was meant harsh towards you at all. I was doing a general blanket statement from my experiences. When I put up second post with your name on it, was just reconfirming what you had said about gear loaning/renting programs at colleges and that being a redflag for me. So it's all good.

But for me, if it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck, and looks like a duck, well, you know. ;)

17. Eric-WD

Eric-WD Member

It lives in Eugene????? whats your point..... ;)

I cant believe this has gone to two pages.

Eric

18. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL