Camping help this weekend

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Tony the Trout, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Tony the Trout

Tony the Trout Member

I'm heading over tommorrow (fri.) for a 4 day weekend of fishing and debauchery on the Yak. and Lenice, etc. I'm planning on leaving Seattle about 9am. I would like to drive out, set camp (tent camping), then drive down canyon river road and do some fishing. On Saturday I will be fishing Lenice. Once I set camp I don't want to move it. I would prefer to be somewhere I don't have to worry about my gear being liberated by criminals while I'm out fishing. I got some helpful suggestions in stillwater forum, but I'm still not set on a place to camp.

Should I camp in the Lenice parking area, then drive all the way back to fish the canyon? Maybe the state campground or KOA in Vantage? Is there a good/safe place to camp on the Yakima? :confused: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Tony

2. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I'm not the expert but I believe there's still camping at Reds. And there's a KOA (I think it's KOA anyway) part way down the Yak near Umptanum. Someone here will chime in with good info.
    Good luck Tony.

3. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Media:
    Red's still has tent camping ,,give them a call 509-929-1802

Bill Dodd.

:thumb:

4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

TT:

Thought you had it figured out. Since you plan to hit the canyon first, you might give Four Seasons Ranch a call, 509-925-4734. This is a private campground just south of Ellensburg on Ringer Rd.. Nothing fancy but since you plan to be fishin, should be okay.

MB

5. Dave Hartman

Dave Hartman Strip'n Flywear

Media:
    Home Page:
    I don't have any suggestions for you of where to camp. But I'm constantly camping on the sides of rivers, near highways, etc. and am always weary of ne'erdowells. When I tent camp, I use a cheaper Coleman tent, one of my cheaper sleeping bags and pads, and that's all I leave at camp. Everything else goes back in the truck while I go fishing.

But I'll let you know my secret trick, and it works. I came up with it during my yearly fishing trip to the Clearwater, where I camp at Lenore. One year, there was a string of thefts in the camps and the rigs parked roadside. I went to Rite Aid and bought this little package, and put it right on my pillow at the head of the tent so that it was the first thing a thief would see when they unzipped the fly.
    Two days later, I came back to a ransacked camp, everyone's gear was stolen and messed with, except mine.

Nobody fv$ks with a dude that's got lice!
    :cool:

6. Couleeflyfisher

Couleeflyfisher Member

With Lenice being one of the few ice free lakes there should be plenty of company, usually a few flyfishers around the parking lot during the day which should mean few if any problems. Been few breakins last year or so since the last big bust, seems a lot safer now. Might have a few party animals to put up with though, bring along extra liquid refreshment and you may meet some new friends. Safety in numbers!!

7. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
    Damn Dave, that's f***ing genius!

8. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    DAVE THATS AWESOME!!! SWEET!!! I GOTTA GO GET ME SOME OF THAT. IT HAS BEEN A FEW YEARS SINCE I HAVE BEEN IN THAT AREA, BUT I SEEM TO REMEBER A KOA IN THAT AREA. I HAVE ALWAYS FELT THEY WHERE SECURE. ALL ELSE FAILS, GO WITH DAVES IDEA.

YOU ARE A LUCKY BUM FOR GETTING TO GO CAMP THIS WEEKEND. CRAP, ALL I GET TO DO IS YARD WORK. OHH THE JOY!!!

9. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

There is a KOA in Ellensburg, beside the river and the western exit. The ranch down on Ringer Road is less expensive and probably just as safe. I'd hesitate to camp at the Lenice Lake parking area in unlockable shelter; migrant workers hit it frequently (no offence intended to honest, hard-working citizens).

10. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

Dave, that's funny stuff right there! You're a genius.

11. myflysdown

myflysdown Member

iagree,

Make sure you had a good pad to sleep on. VM

12. Nick Riggs

Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Media:
    I wonder what a dude would do if he robbed some campsites and everyone in the whole place had a lice remover box in their tent.

13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

so maybe every other tent, toss some knarly condoms around. Or catch one in the tent zipper.
    I agree though Dave, great idea.

14. Tony the Trout

Tony the Trout Member

Thanks guys for all the help. KOA in Ellensburg it is! If any of you guys end up there too come over and say hello.