Camping near Coldwater Lake?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jim Wallace, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Ahhhh, I didn't get to bed until after midnight, and then awoke to my alarm at 4:15am wondering who the deranged monkey was who set it for so early. Then I remembered my hair-brained scheme to drive all the way up to Coldwater and fish it today, and then drive back home tonight. Its about 145 miles one way, and a good 3 hour trip. I checked the weather forecast. Winds look nice, 3 to 7 mph from the NW all day.
    However, I didn't like it that the temps would be hitting the low 80's. When I originally made these plans, the forecast was for highs in the mid 70's I don't like that kind of heat, and that's too far for me to drive round-trip in one day anymore, a total of 6 hours on the road, just to go lake fishing. And I'd be driving back here to the coast on a Friday night, with all the drunken fools on the roads. I hadn't made any plans for camping, so I went back to bed. I have to be here Saturday anyway. Its sunny here and has a nice sea breeze, with the highs only going into the low 60's today. My kind of climate!

I need to camp out somewhere reasonably close, if I want to drive all that way up there to fish it. I could use some suggestions for a quiet campground. PMs are fine.

My next shot at it will fall between Aug 9th and 13th. After that, I don't plan to do any lake fishing until after the monsoon rains in Oct raise the rivers too high to fish for Coho (although I might, in spite of my plans).

Thanks!

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I wish there was a camp ground close! it's 3 1/2 hours round trip for me.

During hunting season last year people were camping in pull-outs on the way up, but still a long way from the lake. silver lake is also about 30 miles away and has camping but would still have to drive back and forth up the mountain to fish. as far as I can tell they have a no camping zone around the mountain for at least 20 miles but I'm not sure. Hope someone in the know chimes in I would love to meet my daughter there and camp and fish for a couple days. she lives in Seattle now and wants to fish the lake again and take her stupid boy friend (he's not stupid - I call all her boy friends stupid)

3. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
    Here's some info from a article in the Longview newspaper-

"Also next year, the Forest Service will evaluate a proposal for new camping spots on Coldwater Lake, which would be accessible for hikers and boaters. Only guided groups would be allowed to camp, to limit damage to the land."
    http://tdn.com/lifestyles/new-trail...cle_40c209ee-f57b-11e2-8ca4-001a4bcf887a.html

Great we'll all be able to go on a "guided" camping trip and sign Kumbaya:rolleyes:

4. Jim Wallace

Thanks for the tip Mark! 30 miles isn't too bad.

I drive from my house 39 miles one way to get to my favorite local lake for a day's fishing. Water might be too warm there now for C&R right now, though.

LOL! Go easy on the lad! I dealt with some tough fathers before, when I was dating in high school. One of them would not even acknowledge me when I picked his daughter up for a date, other than giving his evening newspaper a hard shake as he grunted and held it up in front of his face, so that it blocked our view of each other.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  5. Jim Wallace

Interesting read on the link you posted, Paul. Good to know what's being planned. Thanks.

6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Yeah, thanks for the read Paul! One for public and one for pay to play people would be best for me. couldn't see just guided "pay-for" camping. I wonder if that is guided Kayak groups and FISHING GROUPS? Who would guide the fishing groups ---- Maybe you Paul??? better put that app in when it comes up.

7. Jim Wallace

A group is often a crowd, and a crowd is almost always a fool, so a crowd needs a guide to keep it from going out of control.;)

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  8. PETI

PETI Member

9. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I don't mind lo 80's.... actually even upper 80's is time for an all day fishing trip.:p. Mid 70's and I might even grab my sweater. :(

10. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I haven't been there in a while but there used to be a private camping area - Eco Camp(?), that was the closest I could find.

MB

Jim Wallace likes this.
  11. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Media:
    This is the link for Eco-Park.

http://ecoparkresort.com/lodging.htm

Looks like $20/night for tent camping, and I'm guessing it's about 15 miles from Coldwater.
    I have no experience with them, but I remember seeing them on the drive up.

M

Jim Wallace and Mark Kraniger like this.
  12. Woodcanoeguy

Woodcanoeguy Member

Jim Wallace and Mark Kraniger like this.
  13. Jim Wallace

I thank you all for the suggestions!