Camping recommendations?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Scott Catlin, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Scott Catlin

Scott Catlin Member

Media:
    I'm planning a weekend camping/fishing trip and I'm looking for recommendations. I'm thinking either a Cascade lake with bank access or a small river East of the mountains. I know that's a broad range. I'd prefer no crowd, which should be easy in early November. I will not have a tube, so its bank access only. Thanks!

2. tbuss

tbuss Member

pm sent.

3. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

you might be surprised with the crowds you find if there's any hunting going on around you...
    just a thought to consider. probably not much fishing crowds, but lots of camping crowds depending where you're going

4. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Though I haven't tried fishing from this particular spot on shore, there is this point of land along the north shore of Lost Lake in Kittitas Co. I've seen people camping there in the past. I suspect you could wade out a little and fish from there, giving yourself enough room for you back cast. It's been a while, so I could be a little off on the back cast room. Anyway, it's an idea.

Another possiblity is Council Lake in the Gifford Pinchot Forest area between Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams. Lots of camping there. Though I've never fished it, the one time I went there I saw fly fishers in float tubes. The southern shore stays shallow for quite a distance, so one could wade quite a way. There looked to be a good brookie population there, as I saw some little dinkers swimming around my ankles. That was back in the late 80's. Also, the short hike up to Council Bluff is spectacular. You can see St. Helens, Adams, Rainier, and Hood when you reach the top. I don't know of any hike that short which provides that kind of view.

5. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    There are several nice campgrounds along the American River and Naches rivers west of Yakima. There is a stretch of the lower Naches that has been C&R for a few years now and might be starting to hold some nice fish, but I can't vouch for that. Upstream it is mostly small rainbows.

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

Hhhhuuussshhhhhhh!! startinbg...nah! ..... it has held some nice ones and for some time :thumb: Whistling Jack area, but you have to walk and work to get to some places. :beer2: