Can’t ID Refinished Cane

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by FLYFLICKER, Nov 4, 2013.

1. FLYFLICKER Chris

Vancouver, Washington
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    25+ years ago my grandfather refinished one of his bamboo rods during his recovery from quadruple bypass surgery. Incidentally, it’s the same rod he taught me how to fly fishing on when I was 12. Because I cut my teeth on this rod, it means the world to me.

My grandmother gave me the rod about 6 years ago, after he passed. It never occurred to me to ask him about it prior to his passing because I never considered it to be my rod. Now that its mine and my boys are getting older and have found interest in fly fishing, I would like to pass the rod onto them.

With that being said, I would love to figure out what it is and even its age. Is there a part of this rod I should be keying in on to help determine what it is? Maybe the style of ferrules, grip shape, real seat?

Any advice or web references to help me figure out what to look for would be greatly appreciated.
    The reel seat resembles those on vintage Sewell Dunton rods I’ve seen, but for all I know it could be any number of rod manufacturers.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +127 / 0
    It looks like a south bend ask the guys on classicflyrodforum.com
  3. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +359 / 0
    Ditto to what he said - except I don't believe it's a South Bend.
    Load your photos onto Photobucket and post them on the forum Joe mentions. Someone there will identify your rod for you.
    BTW; my most cherished rods are the ones that were handed down to me. It's cool you got to fish with your Grandfather with this very rod.
  4. FLYFLICKER Chris

Vancouver, Washington
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Joe/Greg-

I apologize for the delayed response; it’s been a long week at the office. Thanks for recommending the classicflyrodforum. Hopefully I’ll find what I’m looking for there.

In case you’re interested, I stumbled upon a great website called Antique Rod & Reel Library. I didn’t find what I was looking for, but it was very informative. http://antiquerodandreels.com

Greg, to follow up on what you said at the bottom of your post; I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s definitely more than just a rod. For me, it’s the memories of a time spent with a man that was happy to have his 12 year old grandson finding interest in something he loved to do.