Can anyone explain?? Rocky ford

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chironocast, Mar 24, 2002.

1. chironocast

chironocast New Member

Went to rocky ford last spring with my brother I loaned him pretty much the exact same rig i was using (5wt set up with floating line 9 foot leader and 4-6 foot tippet with foam indicator about 6 feet up).
    we fished darn near side by side. It was a beautifull day 70 degrees.
    Except for the redwing blackbirds dive bombing me relentlessly, it was perfect ( a little breezy though). I landed about 8 fish in and hour and a half...and misssed as many. My brother had no strikes and caught no fish dduring that time. We even used the exact same chironomid. He's a good fisherman, he taught me to fish! I know there was something basic that I (we) missed regarding either gear or technique. Can flylines make a difference? Thats about the only thing different we used I can think of. I felt so bad for him I came over to show him some things I was doing he might be over-looking. Well, I set my rod down to come over and the rod lept into the water...I got his rod, snagged my half submerged and moving rod, and also landed the fish..unbelievable!! Okay, it aint over yet. we moved upstream at the naroow bend above the rocky bottleneck. After I made a cast a blackbird attacked my head and instictively I swatted at him with my rod several times. He seemed to give a little and there was this huge splash 20yds up-stream between my brother and I. We both said geez man my lord did you see that?? Well, the dang fish had slaughtered my fly that unbeknownst to me had drifted darn near onto shore under some foamy straww stuff. I landed this fish and I was not even paying attention...go figure

2. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

Can't really explain not being there, but if both using dry line I
    doubt it waz the line. I've seen similar happen before. Some times
    it waz the minutest difference in the flys pattern used or in the weighting in each of the flys. Other times it waz something subtile one was doing to impart action to the fly the other waz not. Other times it waz one guy had the "honey hole" while the bite waz on, and the other guy didn't.Using lotsa tippet below the float on Rocky Ford?? Most guys use less most times of year. Has nothing to do with the discrepency in results though.
    I'm puzzled too. Nice fishin tale.

3. chironocast

chironocast New Member

Yeah, in reality we did'nt really need that much leader.Probably kind of a waste not to mention making casting more difficult (considering the the real control was the foam indicator 6 above the chironomid).
    Okay, I'm alittle superstitious regarding fly proximity to flyline.
    I know, Iknow you all say it does'nt mateer...flylines don't spook fish etc. Hmmmm maybe so. My technique with the chironomid is too quiver my left hand on the flyline without moving the position of the fly at all. I do this, then pause, then do it more etc. In a couple of minutes I'll strip it some then do it all overagain...don't know if my brother quite gets that.(if it matters)

4. guest

guest Guest

I had that same problem. Went to Montana one year with me bro-in-law. We fished lake Como. We used the same set ups,but he caught all the fish. We were fishing the other way. Using bait. Jim S. :BIGSMILE

5. guest

guest Guest

What's wrong. You bored with that other site. :DEVIL Jim S.

6. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up

Yeah chironocast, you're "Quiver" technique can on some occasions make a heck of a difference. Now the truth comes out. Betcha your Brother
    wasn't doin it or not at the right times or right way.
    I fish deeper water most of the time and with chironomids most of the time. Sometimes they want em dead still, sometimes you gotta twitch
    your line and make the indicator dip. Other times it's best to literally drag the dang things with a little shot to keep em down.
    Who knows why........ONLY THE FISH KNOW!

7. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up

Jim,JIM,JIM....Shame on ya......with BAIT????? Get ahold of yourself
    man!!! :TSKTSK

8. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Best thing to do in that situation is to swap rods for a while. If the problem persists - then you know it's in the technique/presentation.

Other things to consider: Scent. Maybe your bro had some stuff on his hands that the fish didn't care for... Then there's the confidence factor (some call it 'mojo'). I've seen this make a big differnce. If you expect a fish on every cast, and are totally focusing on your technique, presentation, etc, then you can easily outfish the guy who is daydreaming or just not confident. But, since the fish seemed to slam your fly no matter how much you were or were not paying attention, this may not be the case here.
    Also, some people fish some types of water better than others. A good lake fisherman may not do so well in a stream, and some may only do well in certain types of streams or certain types of holding water in those streams. And some just don't know how to identify holding water very well.

Either way, I hope he ended up buying you lunch or dinner. That's the standard bet I have with my regular fishing buds...

9. guest

guest Guest

When we did that it was mannnnny years ago and I wasn't into fly fishing then.Jim S. :TONGUE

10. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up

Betcha ChadK is a biiiiig fat guy that fishes a lot and eats way
    too many FREE lunches and dinners! I'm gonna have to try that Chad. I used to hustle pool in my college days and nearly put myself through doin it. It's ALL focus and intensity once you know the game.
    Fishing for dinner can't be any harder than that. Now to find some Buddies that'll sucker in.....they mostly all know me too well.

11. chironocast

chironocast New Member

I asked him over and over agian if he wanted to switch rods.
    Keep in mind, my bro is 11 years older than me and as much a father as a brother. He kept declining the offer and I'm sure part of it was
    pride. I mean come on! I woulda declined too...and so would you.
    I''l tell you though, I was flat out damn near embarrassed and turnin red after i hooked that fish where the water met the shore. And, I swear I could actually feel the anger and vibes from the 20 yds away he was. I was giddy and crap. it was hard to contain the absolute lack of humbleness that was coursing through my body. And i know he knew it. its so funny when I think about it know i almost laugh outloud. Back when he and I were bait chuckers...he did the exact same thing to me at an unnamed lake in the seeps chain. Not only did my line snap on the only fish I managed to hook (again, identical rigs)But I must've watched him hook 12-15 fish of which one was a 7 1/2 pounder in full spawning colours and hook jaws!! I guess what comes roun goes round if ya live long enough. Between all o you and I ... when the rigs are identical, it's gotta be mojo.

12. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up

I dunno, Mojo is a concept that is not viseable to the fish. Though on occasion I have seen it make other fishermen stop thinking about fly pattern or technique they were so burning mad that one guy getting them all and they couldn't solve the problem.
    I had MOJO on Coffeepot yesterday and couple a leech draggers was pretty unhappy.
    The mojo was #1 chironomids were more in demand than leeches.
    #2 I had a little "glory hole" and they didn't.

The bite was quite restricted to one cove almost too small and shallow to drag weighted leeches through anyhow.

13. guest

guest Guest

How's the weather over there now. Is it warming up any. Jim S. :COOK

14. chironocast

chironocast New Member

Another Tale; One nice spring day at Langlois Lake,
    My bro and I rowed a litlle rubber raft over to our favorite spot.
    It's a great spot because a cmall stream flows into the lake there.
    We anchored and started chuckin bait (pautzke's) (sorry guys this was back in our chuckin days). We immediatly started catching fish, nice ones too. This nerdy lookin goofbal in a little 8 foot boat notices us
    doing well and literally backed his craft (with electric motor0
    over the top of our honey hole. We couldnt believe it. Anyway, this idiot is fishin in our hole not even getting a nibble. Meanwhile my bro and i are catching or losing a fish just about every cast.
    This guy was really starting to get embarrased. So just to get back at him for swooping in on our territory, we both made our next cast as close to underneath his boat as possible....we both caught fish right underneath this guys boat....one after another until he was so pissed he left...completely fishless!! We darn near capsized the raft we laughed so hard! Both the bro and I had mojo that day...and yes this dip was also using ball's o fire.

15. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up

Hey cantcatchem, the waters still varying from 39 to 40 degrees and warming sloooooowly now. Should be pretty good by second week in April.
    Another MOJO tale for Chironocast. Wapato lake in Tacoma,a kids lake.
    Time: the 1950's,when I was a kid. Got lucky and caught a ride with an older guy in a boat one day. We explored and found the biggest dang bass ya ever saw,but couldn't catch him.
    I came back a week later, and beat a path through dense brush and pads,and weed, and muck to get into this fishes haunt...a very small cove.
    Along comes some little turkey,spots me, and wades out right next to me and starts casting. I ask him to leave politely once! No action. I ask him to leave not so politely the second time! No response. Finally he decided to leave......with a bloody nose. That's MOJO too I guess?
    Never did get the dang bass to bite,but I waz just a kid then.