Can I use a Label Maker sticker on my rod?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by South Sound, Apr 20, 2005.

1. South Sound

South Sound Member

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using label makers on their rods. I would rather use that because my handwriting sucks.
    Any ideas would help.
    Thanks.

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    In my opinion if you can get the whole sticker to be decorative and not have any "plain" areas it would work. I rather just write directly onto the blank. That way besides the letters themselves you see nuttin but blank baby!!!!!

:thumb:

3. Don Perry

Don Perry Member

I tried it once using clear label tape and white printing. When I put it on the rod it looked great but when I put the finish on it dissolved the glue on the edges of the tape and they curled up. Looked very crappy so I stripped the finish off and pulled the label. Never did get any writing on the rod as I sold it to Sparse (Tyler Laurenti) the next day.

I may try again but this time overwrap the tape with clear mono to hold the edges down. That should become invisible under the epoxy. I won't know til I try it (or you do first and let me know).

4. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    i've used tape before with no problem. its nice as you can have as many tries as you need to get everything just right. the metallic pens work good. a label should be fine. just go over it lightly and quickly with finish and let it dry then you can add more coats.

5. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've been using a company in Woodinville called Precision Graphics to print up clear stickers with whatever name or saying that I want. Talk with Betty or Shelly - let them know wording, letter height & they have been turning the sheet around in a day or two. (They are used to printing black lettering - so be sure to specify gold or silver,...)

You do have to get a full sheet, so I usually try out some different fonts & heights so that I can make the final choice after I see the finished stickers.