Can you go wrong with Cabelas Spey rod?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by lesfishing, Sep 9, 2007.

1. lesfishing New Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have couple questions to you Spay casting masters.

I would love to get spey rod for thsi fall/ winter fishing.
    Can you go wrong with $200 cabelas brand spey rod? Or do you recomend other rod?

I will be fshing Sky/Snoqulomie & Skagit rivers like.

I was lookinng in 8-9 weight 12-13' rod , would that be good choice?
    Also, I have two large arbor reels:

Conservationalist #3 large arbor & Redinngton AL for 7/8 line
    Would those reels hold planty line I need to fish for Salmon & Steelhead ?

Land 2 nice pinks on the Sky thsi past Friday, it was great outing.

Best Regards,
    Les
  2. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    TOugh to say about the Cabela's rod. Definitely not tested. No one out there is touting them. No one can give you line suggestions. Crummy return policy. Other Cabela's rods are generally thought of as 'beginner' rods, not bad but something someone has if they're starting out or to fly fish when their river is closed to gear. So, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you think spey fishing might just be a passing fad and want to minimize investment.

I assume you are looking for a more decent priced rod, which is good for starting out, but you want to get something you can learn properly on and enjoy casting. There are several budget minded options out there.

A 9 would be a good winter rod. 8 weight might be good if you think you might do summer summer/early fall work. You might want more specific advice for the rivers you are fishing though.
    For an 8+ weight rod you are likely looking at 13' at least if you are going for a traditional action spey.

You might need a bigger reel depending on the line you get. You could probably get away with what you have for a little while with less backing. But down the rod, for the budget minded, Okuma makes a decent little reel with a lot of capacity for not a lot of coin.

I assume you are looking for something a little friendlier to your wallet. There are a few options out there that are tried and true for not alot of cash.

Echo classic 8136 is a great rod for about $270. I realy like the Echo classic speys and plan on getting one when the opportunity arises. Their performance is amazing for their price.

Deer Creek TF 8/9 136 for $340 is partially designed by Mike Kinney, THe S-river master.

CND 13’ 8/9 Expert is about $370, thought that's prolly pushing it if you were originally looking at 2 bills.

If you know someone that builds, you can get a Forecast spey kit 13' 8/9 wt for about $150. Throw in another $50 to whoever builds it for you. Bingo-Bango, you got a proven rod for 2 bills. Forecast speys are not touted, but everyone really likes them for the price.

If money is not a question, then your going to get a LOT of suggestions.
  3. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Listen to what Sloan said and then contact RedShed. Poppy can fix you up with a setup that will not break the bank and you will have the assistance from one of the experts in the field.
  4. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +180 / 1
    I'm thinking Poppy can fix you up for about $400 dollars and that would be rod reel and line. I'm totally sure on the price but it wont be much more than that.
  5. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Les,
    I too recommend you get a hold of Mike at the Red Shed and have him set you up with a balanced outfit that will allow you to learn and grow into the sport. Certainly, you may end up spending a little more, but you'll end up ahead in the long run.

Take care,
    Chris
  6. Kevin Giusti New Member

Fort Bragg,Ca
    I second what all have said above. Talk to Mike at the Red Shed. Like FL gator said its important to start with a well balanced rod/reel/line combo and Mike can hook you up with one. Oh yeah take a lesson or two, lessons will make your new outfit work for you even quicker. Good luck. Kevin
  7. Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Slacking in Mill Creek
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Les,

Have you ever spey casted before? I would definitely get a casting lesson or two before making a decision on any spey rod. That way you have a clue with what you might be wanting in a rod. Then I would highly suggest casting any rod before making your purchase...that $200 dollar spey rod might nail it for you...but then again it might not and then your out $200.

You could always go to the Saturday morning's at Carnation or Sunday morning's at Ben Howard Spey Clinics and try casting some of those rods that Sloan was suggesting along with getting some instruction on how to properly to do so. Or there are couple of Spey Claves coming up here a few of weeks...one in Clearwater with Poppy at the end of September (and I think one in Carnation at the end of October) where you could test drive almost any rod that you wanted.

Good Luck,
    :beer2:
    Christian
  8. lesfishing New Member

Your City ,State
    Guys,

Thanks all for great tips on finding rod & reel.

I have fly fish for trout for past 20 years & last 5 years for Salmon & Steelhead.

Two years ago I hit Stilly every Monday for 3 weeks and came out with 5 Steelheads, I was hooked, but let it go for one season due to other winter stuff.

I want to get spay rod becouse I found more practical & looks like would be easier on your hands ( two hands on the rod) more line out ( more fish water covered ) and easier line control.

I fishe with 9' 8 weight rod and hands are tired after 3 hr's of fishing hard.

I fish 3 & 5 weight rods all year , so transfer to big spey rod will be somthing new to learn.
    I live in N Bend and know well the " Church Shop" where the owner do clinics on the Sky.

It might sounds funny, but I play around and try to cust using both hands on my single hander rod and I could send line in very nice style, right of the water. I do lot of roll casting & that makes things easy to pick up lot of line of the water.
    Thanks again for all the tips , I will consider all the options.

Would love to find out where this person is located?

Time to hit the Sky for some pinks.
    best,
    Les Korcala
  9. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    The Red Shed Fly Shop is located in Peck, ID.
    Here's the web address: redshedflyshop.com
  10. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +98 / 0
    Les,

I have had only one report of a Cabela's brand spey rod. I was ff ing on the Clearwater and a guy had two of them and he told me that his split at the ferrels somewhat often. He justified it as "he would rather buy cheap and replace than buy a $850 rod." It provides some thought, but I would rather point you in the direction as everyone has done here and contact Poppy with the given information.
  11. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    The church shop is Aaron Reimers in Carnation. He's an excellent caster (WFF 2 Handed Certified) and is *very* accomodating when it comes to customers. Since he's so close giving him a little shout out wouldn't be out of order :)

Another option is to hit up AATF. A bit more of a drive, but they have Mike Kinney on staff.

The *biggest* thing I can suggest is to *GET LESSONS FIRST*! A $1000 rod with a dime swing won't do you a bit of good. Spend the coin on lessons (groups are good, but individual private is best) and the money you invest will go further than any rod you buy.

As for Cabelas, I've heard wildly different opinions on their rods (good and bad). Because of this it tells me that it's more a function of the persons preference than the quality of the rod. But regardless, I'd avoid any pure online purchases at all.

First, more than single handed rods, 2 handed rods require a bit of time on the water to find out what you like. That's why good shops like Red Shed, Aarons Shop, and AATF will usually let you trial a rod for a bit. They know that you getting the right kind of rod is in their best interest. Furthermore, they can help you select a line *perfect* for your casting style and rod. Like long bellys? Short heads? Skagits? Scando? If you're new to the game, those names can be overwhelming. Mail order companies usually can't (or won't) send out a dozen lines for you to try. These excellent shops will send out multiple lines AND educate them on various techniques and fishing uses. All of the shops above have let me personally use 2 or more lines with trials, no questions asked.

Finally, these guys also tend to do some consignment/used rods. Often times they'll have good deals on "experienced" equipment that people with significant disposable income don't need anymore. Getting a good in with these guys will help you find and locate these excellent deals.

In short? (And purely MY OPINION)

1) Spend $100 on lessons
    2) Spend $100 on a good line
    3) Find the right kind of rod that fits your budget, skill level, and enthusiasum

-- Cheers
    -- James
  12. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    Around ten years ago, I built a 15-foot 10/11 spey rod on a Cabela's blank (made, I believe, by St. Croix). It's quite a capable big rod, but lacking in any finesse - like French haute quisine prepared by robots. I keep it as a spare/loaner.
  13. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Couple years ago, I received a Cabelas Fish Eagle 13' 8/9wt as Christmas gift. It was a Light and Fun rod to use... compare to my another CND 13' 8/9. But... I splitted the ferrule due to my stupidity that I forgot to tape the ferrule before fishing...
    I rewrap the ferrule and it looks OK ...still fishable. I think it would last longer, if I pay more attention to this cheap rod. I do believe that rod get break more often because of the careless user... than manufacturer's defect.

Like others have said... visit a shop and try them out... and treat the rod properly
    Good luck for your shopping.
  14. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    I agree completely with James regarding Aaron's shop in Carnation, which is called River Run Anglers. Aaron's every Saturday morning on the river clinics are free of charge and he always takes a large assortment of rods and lines to the river with him for folks to use. Aaron's clinics are held at Tolt River Park right at the confluence of the Tolt and Snoqualmie, so it is really close to you in North Bend. As James mentioned, Aaron is a 2-hand certified casting instructor and he is always more than happy to help out newcomers to spey casting learn to do it properly with equipment that best suits their needs.

All About The Fly's, which is located in Monroe has free spey clinics held every Sunday at Ben Howard fishing access on the Sky. Ron, the owner, is a great guy as well. Mike Kinney is there as well helping out.

The service both of these shops are providing to newcomers to the spey world in invaluable and going to several of their free clinics will prove to be of immeasurable help, and keep you from going down a wrong road for yourself when it comes to spey casting and 2-hand equipment.
  15. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
  16. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Would have to agree; save for one particular rod, I was quite taken by all their offerings at the last Sandy River Spey 'Clave.:beer2:
  17. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Dec Hogan wrote a article regarding spey rods under $300.oo in the Tackle and Travel Annual for 2007 Fish&Fly Magazine. You might want to check it out.
  18. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Say, does anyone have the actual results from that article?
  19. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Good question, looking forward to the 'answer.'

Fred
  20. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +659 / 5
    Will say if it's an older Cabela's spey rod you have your eye on (wasn't sure if you were actually buying new or used), I'd say you'd be fine. I had one like mentioned above (one made by St Croix for Cabela's I do believe). Was a 14' 9 wt 3 piece. Loved that rod. Handled well, and really cast a line. Was made in the USA, at least said so on the blank. Say it this way, put them side to side with a St Croix and was identicle except the name on it. Now new ones???? Hmmmm, do believe they are made in China (or maybe Korea). I'd go with the advice to see Aaron at the spey clinics and give them more of a go. Plus, he can direct you into different rods (he let me handle quite a few at his shop, then on the river). Great way to find out if you're truly interested in spey fishing.