Can you make a 2pc fiberglass blank into a 4/6/etc blank?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Josh, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Is it possible to take a 2 piece fiberglass blank and turn it into a 4 or even 6 piece rod using spigot ferrules? I saw a forum post on some random site by a guy who claimed he did just that. As I'm looking for a solution to the fact that my beloved Lamiglas 'honey' rods no longer come in 6 piece configuration, I wondered how feasible this method would be.

Keep in mind that I am not a rod builder, so super tech talk may be above my head.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Find a builder you trust. I'm sure it could be done. Not to harsh your glass stoke, just buy a 6 pc Redington CT 3wt. You won't be disappointed. It has a mello flex and action.

3. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Yeah, you are probably right.

I don't know why, but from time to time I get into these plans that will take 50% more work/money/time but that will really only net me 10% more enjoyment (if that).

4. Ed Call

Come visit. I'll put a CT 3 wt 6 pc on your hand. Fish it a bit and decide.

5. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I will keep it in mind Ed, thanks. And the invitation goes both ways. Lots of pretty creeks over here for fishy-chicks to catch small wild trout.

6. Ed Call

Beena while since I've been near the 542. Maybe we can make a trip that way.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Yes it can be done. Just depends on how much you want to affect the action. They'll have to cut the blank and add metal ferrules. Just like we did in the old days (alot of the glass blanks came in one piece, you cut for the action you wanted, then added metal ferrules).