Can you name this fly?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Matt Burke, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. Matt Burke Active Member

    Posts: 3,655
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    A friend has given me a few things that he feels wont be used unless they are put in the right hands. First he handed me a Perrine Free Stripping reel No. 50. I was a bit befuddled as there is no handle to crank, but I caught on. It is an auto winder and it's functional. It Came with the original fleece lined leather pouch. There is what appears to be what is left of a coated Dacron running line, but no belly.

    He also has given me some flies tied by the man. I have included a pic of one of the most unusual. Underneath the wings is a gold tinsel body with a beard of what may be yellow calf tail that runs the length of the fly.

    I may be picking up more later because I'm rather brash and since he wanted them in good hands, I volunteered to take the bamboo rod and any books he might have.

    There are some other flies that might be cool to try and guess what they are later.
  2. Norm Frechette Active Member

    Posts: 605
    Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    The fly is called a "Hornberg". :)
  3. BOBLAWLESS New Member

    Posts: 2,879
    Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hornberg and bamboo

    The fly is a Hornberg and should be forwarded to me for fishing. Also, I own a bamboo rod and his would have lovely company with my Rosie. Bamboo rods should never be without friends of their own kind.

    Bob, the Jealous :)
  4. Matt Burke Active Member

    Posts: 3,655
    Ratings: +69 / 0
  5. Matt Burke Active Member

    Posts: 3,655
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    How about this one? The Silver rib looks as if it survived battle with a monster Brown. Gotta head to work so I'll check back later.
  6. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

    Posts: 4,034
    Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +709 / 0
    The Hornberg. A classic, and one of my favorites. Drift it dry and twitch it under on the hang for a great wet fly too. Fished to imitate a drowned Caddis, swung wet fly style, skittered or skated or dead drifted- a wonderful old all-around pattern. For twenty years of spring-time opening days on the Saugatuck River in Westport Connecticut, my friend Pete and I used the Hornberg, in Pete's own humble version, for our first trout of the year. I use them on sea run coastal cutthroat trout here.

    Dont know abaout that second fly, but it looks good with those hackle-tip wings and red collar etc. Bet it would be a good cutthroat trout fly.