Can you say CADDIS. Yakima's hatch today was just insane

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Bob Nix, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Bob Nix

Bob Nix too much stuff to know

Fishing for us was poor but we were fishing.

2. woods

woods Member

Either way it would've been nice weather down in the canyon today

3. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Nice! It can get so thick wih caddis that the fish are overwhelmed and there is too much real food. Last year it was so thick that the hatches looked like clouds of smoke

4. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

same thing on the spokane. biggest caddis hatch of the season that i have seen. size 12 tan.

5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Were there any fishing rising to the caddis? I have seen swarms of flies but relatively few rises by the fish. It can be challenging to get everything align just right: bugs, cooperative fish, weather, and free time.

6. Tarkin

Tarkin Member

I fished the Yak briefly on Thursday during a monster caddis hatch and brought in 3 nice bows in about 40 minutes on a salmonfly dry. Go figure.

7. Bob Nix

Bob Nix too much stuff to know

We saw nothing rise all day. Wish we would have tried a Salmon Fly. Oh, well it was a beautiful time in the sun sucking down caddis. :)

8. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

i know it might sound crazy but ive had succes fishing a caddis emerger at the tailout of runs on a sinking leader and beadhead fly when the hatch is thick without much surface activty.

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

We saw the same thing last year; bugs like smoke on the water, and not a single rise!

10. docstash

docstash Member

My guess is for every 10 that leave the bottom for the surface 2 or 3 make it to the surface, fish are already full by the time the masses are on the surface and will not move to them until the last thing at dark. Salmon fly or summer stone might attract them.

Craig
    Red's Fly Shop

11. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I'd have to agree. I was on the crooked river a couple years ago and the hatch was the most prolific I've ever seen it. I tried emergers to no luck and tried nymphing with 0 results as well.

At the end of the day I switched to a massive stonefly dry. The fish snapped up the bigger meal.

Next time i'm in that situation I'll have a big fatty chernobyl salmonfly and a 18in dropped cdc emerger to hopefully stimulate a strike on the end of my drifts on the swing up. WHACK!

12. norcal51

norcal51 Member

I have to say Ive seen a ton of huge caddis hatches but the ones on the Spokane put most of the others to shame. too bad the fish don't go nuts for them like they do elsewhere.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

That hatch was insane. Yesterday sky was so full it blocked the sun. There was some slurping top but very few in that high flow. Chuck Tye got a nice 16"er on a dry yesterday. I missed one that slashed my dry. I had an orange stimulator on and Chuck hit his with one that closer matched the caddis.

14. Tarkin

Tarkin Member

Same thing today, huge caddis hatch going on, and they loved my big dry salmonfly. I didn't even bother trying a caddis pattern today. Fun to watch the caddis all flying down the river in what seemed to be a lane. Really interesting. Seems like they know where they're going.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

If you have ever seem the Caddis hatches on on Rock Creek you would be amazed also. But here the Fish are jumping up at them.

I was there when I first started fly fishing. Of course I was new at this so all I did was watch. Amazing to say the least.

16. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Got me Jim. Thread was from last June.

17. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I love caddis hatches, on the big D in oregon caddis pupa fished deep is the way to go. caddis do not spend much time on top of the water so the best way for fish to target them is on the way up to the surface. once they reach the surface they are air-born very fast, not like most mayflies. like mentioned fishing before or at the beginning of the hatch can get fish almost every cast. once there are to many I like to target seems where fish would be posted up to feed. I don't think I have ever thrown a caddis dry on the deschutes river. when fishing the tail-outs getting the fly deep and then lifting it can draw some very hard strikes as the fly rise's beings these are the pupa they are targeting - fast swimming-rising pupa.

18. Derek Dahms

Derek Dahms New Member

Wish someone would take me up there !

19. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Nice pick derek! did you do a introduction post yet? I see you found how to do your avatar lmao!