Canadian Rockies late Sept. Trip

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Greg Armstrong, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

[​IMG]

Short but sweet trip last week to Alberta. Love those Aspens. They were just beginning to turn color.

Small mountain streams were inviting - but carry the bear spray! Thankfully I didn't run across grizzly (or black bears for that matter), although the area is well known for them. As you can tell it's really brushy and thick - it kept me alert.

[​IMG]

Released a few of these, along with a small (20") Bull Trout. It chased a 17" westslope all over the pool until I got it to hand. I'd heard of them chasing smaller fish like this, but didn't think I'd see one chase a hooked trout almost as large as itself! I have a photo of the Bull, but it's not up to WFF standards (blurred)!

I like using old gear. Rod is a nice 70 year old bamboo Granger (Victory model 8642), reel is an early 1930's Young 15A with a beautiful red agate line guide;

[​IMG]

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Very nice!
    What part of Alberta?

3. Greg Armstrong

Thanks Mark. I was in the S.W. part of the province between Banff and Waterton.

How's the thumb?

4. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Beautiful country, indeed.
    Fished around Athalmer, Invermer, etc. in the distant past.

5. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Very nice Greg, thanks for sharing!

Looks like the cork on that Granger is still in good shape for a 70 year old stick..

6. Greg Armstrong

Richard,
    I was lucky - this rod was in near new condition when I bought it a few years ago. It came full length w/two tips, original bag, and nearly perfect original cardboard rod tube with a complete label. It's a great casting/fishing rod and I use it for an awful lot of my fishing - everything from streamers on down to tiny dries. Love the bamboo!

Here's another photo showing more of the rod (different trip, fish and place from the above however).

[​IMG]

7. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Looks like you were in Kananaskis country ....

8. Greg Armstrong

Yes I was, Stew. Did a fair amount of rambling all the way between Banff and Waterton on this trip.
    Beautiful up there. That's your home turf isn't it?