Cancun Trip, sneaky fishing advice needed!!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tim Allen, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Tim Allen

Tim Allen Tim the Toolman

My wife and I have a "vacation" scheduled next week in Cancun. We have different ideas of what "vacation" really means. Anyways, I've never been there and could use any suggestions folks might have on fly fishing the area. I have a 3wt, 5/6wt and 8wt rod (I don't have a Stumpy like Mingo!) and could bring any/all, or are there charters that supply gear? Beach fishing? License? Any help or links would be great! Thanks very much, Tim the Toolman

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

Mmmmm, that could explain a lot right there :ray1: Find out how to get one :clown:

3. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    The 8 wt is the only one that will do you any good. Bring some decievers and shrimp and crabs. Charters are available but are kinda expensive. Get a rental car and go south. :thumb:

4. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    http://www.pescamaya.com/

I envy you... We couldn't go when we had a trip planned due to that massive hurricane that hit (actually made landfall the day we were supposed to arrive). So we ended up in Puerto Vallarta.

Ascension bay is the famous area there where you have shots at bones, permit, snook and tarpon (the super grand slam). There is also good fishing to be had around the Riviera Maya. I just saw an article last week about bonefishing north of Cancun that looked like a lot of fun.

8 wt for bones, 10 wt for permit and baby tarpon, 12 wt for adult tarpon. You could spend a lot of money to get set up perfectly (it's worth it if you can afford it). Make sure you have a reel with a good drag, all the aforementioned fish will peel line off your reel like nothing you'll ever experience in freshwater (well... maybe carp). There are a couple online shops around that rent demo equipment that is top-of-the-line. www.flyfishingoutfitters.com comes to mind. I'd call them and see what they suggest.

Good luck on your trip.

5. Aaron O'Leary

Aaron O'Leary The Theory

Home Page:
    In December I have done well with a tan Crazy Charlie wading the flats for bones near Tulum (south of Cancun an hour and a half or so). I haven't been down there in the Spring. Buy flies here, I couldn't find any down there. Take the 8 wt. Good Luck.

- Aaron

6. Tony Kraft

Tony Kraft der Fliegenfischer

Media:
  7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Tim,

You'll need a 7 or 8 wt if the wind is blowing hard. Otherwise a 5 or 6 wt is plenty for the bonefish there, as they are smallish. I caught some on my 5 wt, but would have caught more if I'd taken a 7. I think an 8 wt is way over kill for such small fish (1.5-3 pounds). 8 wt is fine for permit or 'cudda tho.

Sg

8. Tim Allen

Tim Allen Tim the Toolman

THANKS everybody for the great advice and links!:thumb: Great trip report too Tony. I've printed out the info 'cause I'm leaving the laptop at home this trip. I'll post pictures here if I get on the water. You are all the BEST:beer2: Tim the Toolman