canoe at Nunally or Lenore?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by hdrew, Mar 18, 2003.

1. hdrew

hdrew New Member

Media:
    Hello,
    Has anyone canoed at Nunnally or Lenore? I have never been and hear it is a little hike to the lakes. How far is that hike, and could a canoe be taken in?
    Thanks in advance.

2. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    The hike at Nunnally is a few hundred yards or slightly more depending on which parking lot you start from, and the terrain is loose rock and sand. It wouldn't be an easy hike but it could be done.

Circlespey

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Lenore has roadside access along its entire length. You might be thinking of Lenice. It requires a short hike, much like Nunnally.

4. Native

Native Member

I believe that it's lake Lenice that's over by Nunally? Isn't Lenore near Soap Lake?

Anyway, I went to what I believe was Merry for the first time on Saturday. I hiked in with my pontoon boat. I'd say the distance is approx 3/8 of a mile. It wasn't comfortable carrying the pontoon boat that far, but it's do-able. Carrying a canoe in would also be possible, assuming you don't mind some pain. If you have two people it would be fine.

To the veterans of these lakes out there: What is the order of the lakes? I fished the small one that I believe is in the middle of two larger lakes. The lake I was on was no more than 10 feet deep at the deepest point. Is that Merry?

Good luck with the canoe--

5. callibaetis

callibaetis Guest

Starting from the West it goes Nunnally (which includes Bobby's Arm, which is itself often mistaken for Merry, Merry (very Shallow and weedy), and then Lenice.

6. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    If you are talking about Lenore, yes, there is easy boat access (launch). Just watch out for wind. It can really kick through that valley and push a canoe around pretty good. Last time I was there I had to fight my way through smallish white-caps and my electric trolling motor could just barely keep me moving against the wind - if all you have are paddles you'd really have your work cut out for you.

7. hdrew

hdrew New Member

Media:
    Yeah, just paddles so far. I'll wait until I have a trolling motor. I think I did get the Lenice and Lenore confused. Thanks for all your help.

8. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    RiverFishing

Your question made me smile painfully. Last year a fishin buddy and I lugged a canoe into Merry. Yes, it can be done, but why any sane person would do do is beyond me.
    It wasn't really too bad going in. We were optimistic, fresh and eager. However, after three hours of fighting the wind, which eventually had us far down in the eastern end, we had to beach and make our way back. The return haul was much longer because we'd beached so far from our put-in spot and it was of course warmer and we were gassed from fighting the wind.
    We swore we'd never do it again, but until now I'd never had the chance to share this wisdom with anyone.
    That said, I'm nevertheless a believer in experience and if you're up for it, why not? It might be different on a calm day and you might even have the good sense to take your time coming back, becuase you'll be jazzed about the great day you've had.
    If you give this a try, I know I'll be interested in hearing how your experience goes.

Mike :dunno

9. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    RiverFishing

You know, I've got some further thoughts triggered by your question.
    I've canoed for years and for certain rivers on certain days, they're a wonderful craft, especially if you can pull over, get out, wade, and really fish the nice spots. Keep the breeze to your back and you'll be fine.
    However, change some of the variables and a canoe leaves something to desire. On a broad, slow river with a little wind in your face or across your canoe, you become a sail and it starts to be work to keep it pointed downstream. This complicates casting and retrieval, as you may make your cast while on the upstream side and have the canoe pivot while you retrieve, meaning your line is now over your partner or you're twisted completely around trying to get it all under control. Make it a still body of water and add yet more wind, and it becomes virtually impossible for two people to fish simultaneously. Even an anchor helps but a little.
    My advice is, leave the canoe if you have another option for a place like the sister lakes. They usually seem to be windswept during the daylight hours and you'll end up fighting to kepp it all under control. Go it alone and you'll be virtually helpless. Add a partner and you're both pretty frustrated.
    Just my .02 worth!

Mike :professor

10. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I had a canoe, a cheap Coleman job. It rolled over on me at Sheridan Lake in B.C. My trolling motor was ruined, plus I lost my hat somoehow and I loved that hat. I tried to bring the canoe about by turning the troller to a position totally abeam to the wind. The canoe decided it was easier to roll the boat over that to come about.
    Oh well, live and learn. The nasty thing about learning by experience is that you get the test before you get the lesson. Fail the test, sometimes, and the price is your life.:professor