Canoe Fly Fishing?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by ceviche, May 27, 2003.

1. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Since Lenice, Nunnally, and Merry Lakes are not canoe friendly, I figure that it would be productive to inquire about quality lakes that are canoe friendly. Of course, Dry Falls is one of them, even despite the wind factor (it is possible to find "lees" towards regaining the put-in point). So, in soliciting the advice from those who have "been there" with canoes, what can you all suggest?
  2. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    ceviche,

I'm not sure what you mean by canoe friendly. I fish mostly out of a 15 foot Grumman cargo style canoe. I have built a simple axle strapped onto a 2x4 and some 24 inch tires. It easily breaks down so I can throw it in the canoe or travel with it. I break it down and throw in the canoe because of some jerk that liked it more than I did at Nunnally and had to pack out on my back.
    The canoe straps onto the axle, my gear in the canoe and off I go.
    Dave
  3. hdrew New Member

Dave, do you have plans or a picture of that device? I have been trying to think of how to do the same thing, but no luck yet. Thanks, Hdrew
  4. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Hdrew,

I was going to make something very similar, but then I just broke down when I saw a "canoe caddy" for sale at Costco for 65. Same damn model that Cabelas is advertising for 125!

As for the wind problem...I think I may have solved it...buy a drift bag for a small boat...I think they come in sizes based on boat lengths such as: 16-18', 20-24', etc. My father and I used these on Lake Erie a lot...and they did the trick drifting for walleye!
  5. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    By "canoe friendly" I meant lakes that are not only easy to portage to but not that exposed to heinous wind blasts. I've heard a number of stories about Lenice and company lakes and the intensity of the wind that can be experienced. Even those with pontoon boats have found themselves nearly capsized (overturned). In the case of canoes, I'd hate to be unable to return to the launch site, and, with Nunnally, I don't like the idea of lowering the boat down a steep bank towards the water. That just doesn't seem right--especially if suddenly encountering a rattlesnake. :eek
  6. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    There are way too many lakes to mention individually that you can take a canoe on. Eastern washington lakes normally have higher wind speeds due to the more open terrain. Probably the best way to learn which lakes are easier to launch a canoe on is by conuslting a Delorme Atlas and looking for the boat lauch symbol.

Local to Seattle, Cottage, Rattlesnake, Pass, Leech, Alice and Langlois are all commonly fished from a canoe.

I would be wary of the bigger lakes for solo fishing, as winds can come up that you can't paddle against solo. Two in a canoe is pretty good in all conditions, though.
  7. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Hdrew.

I think andrew has got a gooed thing going. I probably have all of $65 into my thing if not more. I think I need to check it out!

Dave
  8. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    I forgot to answer your question. Nothing wrong with me today!

I used a 2x4 longer than the width of the canoe. Start out long and then trim. Get a piece of all thread, like at Tacome Screw. I used half inch. Secure that to the bottom side of the 2x4 with 4 u bolts. One close to either end and the other two spaced out. Recess the bolt and washers and locking nuts in the 2x. Now you have the axle attached on the bottom side. To each end put on two nuts and then a BIG washer and run them to the 2x and cinch the nuts into each other. Slide on wheel add a big washer and two nuts. spin nuts down close to wheel and cinch the nuts together. I can't remember where I found tires and wheels, maybe at a trailer place. They need to have a hole of at least 1/2 inch or maybe slighly larger. I took a wheel with me when I got the all thread. Ok now you have the basic set up. To this I cut a couple of blocks that are kind of wedge shaped that tuck up next to the canoe and attached to the frame work. Then I added two eye bolts, eye up on either side to attach bungie cords or rope to secure the canoe.

Hope that makes some sort of sense
    Dave
  9. hdrew New Member

Thanks I'll check out the Costco one, sounds like less of a hassle and more reliable than my feeble engineering skills.;-)
  10. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Yeah, me too!

Us Remodel carpenters kind of like to torture ourselves with the impossible! I am checking it out too. It has to be better than my contraption!
    Dave
  11. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,648 / 0
    I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Hey Dave, it sounds like you are making a front axle for a home made go cart. Like we used to do when we were kids. I used to use the wheels off an old wagon. Just thought I would try to help.

Jim