Canoe question: trolling motor mount

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by msteudel, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Anyone build a trolling motor mount for their canoe?

2. You can buy them pretty cheap and sturdy, they clamp on and off quickly and tightly. I had a canoe and seagull motor for years and used an old clamp on mount that was great. I would imagine that you can find them through most canoe and accessory dealers. And maybe a few boating shops.

3. Yeah I've got a sea clipper, and the company that makes it makes a trolling motor mount which is 89 dollars. I was hoping to make or find one for less than that. I'm getting a trolling motor for free, but I'm guessing the battery is dead and I don't have a charger, any advice on that?

Also how well does a trolling motor compensate for a strong cross wind? I was out this Sunday on Lone Lake and had to get up in the middle and paddle from there to fight the wind, definetly no way I could fish and keep the boat straight.

4. Saw one in the Boundary Waters catalog I just received. It is rated for up to 3 hp (canoe motor mount E1121 on page 11). Their web address is www.piragis.com (why it's not boundarywaters something I have no idea...).

This might be an option or at least something to look at if you want to build your own.

Chris

5. Cool I'll check it out.

6. First, the canoe police aren't going to come after you if you make a mount your self. I helped a friend make one in my shop by clamping with 4" c-clamps, a 2x4 accross the canoe (extending over the gumwale on one side) and screwing a piece of 3/4" plywood for the actual motor mount. He tried it, liked it, and uses it on aregular basis. I've asked if he wants to refine it, he says why, theis is what it's supposed to do.
    Try it,
    tomc

7. msteudel,

Yes, a trolling motor helps out tremendously when fighting a cross wind. You still have to fight the wind, especially in gusty conditions, but by bearing up into the wind a bit to compensate for leeway, its a piece of cake!

Last year I was on the downwind side of Failor Lake, when the wind picked up a few notches and started blasting me with a series of heavy gusts. I had to crank my MinnKota Endura 30 all the way up to 3rd (has 5 forward speed settings) to overpower the gusts (still had two higher speeds if I neeed them).
    As my camoe began to gain traction against the wind and start moving, a nice fat stocker 'bow about 13"-14" suddenly hit my streamer that I was trolling, and I simple let the wind blow me back to the end of the lake while I played the fish, as I knew it would be no problem to motor back upwind.

Be sure to mount your motor-mount as close to the stern as possible for best maneuvering. I had a good laugh at a buddy of mine who stuck his about 40% of the way up from the stern (in front of his seat!), and then had a helluva time maneuvering in tight quarters in the current once we were up a tidal creek.

The best all-around electric trolling motor for a canoe I have seen is the MinnKota Riptide 40. It is the salt-water version, and is not too big, like the larger Riptides. Also, you can still get a power prop for that model, which is a faster prop than the "weedless wedge." I like the power prop for estuaries and the weedless wedge for lakes, as it trolls slower. The Riptide 40 is still a 5 speed forward, 3 reverse model (without the infinitely variable speed control) but it has plenty of power and you can use it in the salt without invalidating the warranty. A friend of mine just got one and it is primo!
    I have used my freshwater Endura 30 in estuaries for 2 1/2 years, always washing it thoroughly afterwards, and it is still running strong. I took it apart the other day to inspect the windingsand brushes, and they are still in good shape. Other people I know have used the freshwater models in the salt for years before the corrosion got to 'em. I love my elctric motor! :ray1:

Jimbo

8. Thanks for the info! I think I'll try and build my own I'll post the frakenstein results when I get done.

9. The thing about building your own is, if you don't like it change it. If it looks rough, sand it paint it and forget about it.
    tomc aka trmcknot