canon EOS 50D

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Michael Thompson, May 11, 2009.

1. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    just picked one up and totally love it, its way more of camera than i am a photographer but i wanted something i could grow into.

2. Michael Thompson

Home Page:
    so far the only gripes i have about it are that in most applications you cant disable the flash. and in most apps you cant use the lcd screen as view finder. it only shows pics after they are taken, but both of those problems stem from me being used to my tard friendly camera and not getting used to this one

3. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You saying the 50D doesn't have live view? Thought it did?

4. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    What do you mean you can't disable the flash? Are you shooting in the auto setting? If so, try using Av, Tv, or manual. That'll give you control of the flash.

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    It does. But in live view, the mirror locks up and the shutter cycles open. Every exposure made using it takes two cycles of mirror and shutter meaning twice as much wear and tear.

K

6. Michael Thompson

Home Page:
    you cant disable the flash in a lot of the settings, there is actually one setting on the dial that is dedicated to no flash. so far when i have used this thing it does use a lot of discretion as to when the flash goes off, meaning it doesnt flash every time you take a pic
    but only when there needs to be some extra light to get rid of deep shadows.

7. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Are you sure about that Kent? That isn't the way my 5DMkII works with live view. Once you are into live view, the mirror only goes up and down if you are resetting focus. You can take photos all day long without it happening.

Secondly, if I haven't ever worn out a DSLR shutter, I doubt that any of you are going to. Other than a chance defect, it's not really something to worry about in real world usage.

8. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I promise you that you can disable the flash. Every Canon DSLR I have ever had (and I've had a bunch) allows you to disable the flash. I'm guessing that you just don't have it on the right setting.

The only time you aren't going to be able to disable the flash is when you have it in one of the camera's "modes" where the camera makes all the decisions. If you are in P, M, Tv, or Av you should have control over the flash.

9. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Yes. I've got a 40D which I think is a lot more similar to the 50D than the 5D is.

With the the live view option set to On in the menu, pressing the button in the center of the selector wheel on the back causes both the mirror to flip up and the shutter to open, thus presenting a live image through the lens on the LCD panel. I don't remember how refocusing works since when I'm using live view, the camera is usually on a tripod and I'm focusing manually.

Triggering the shutter release causes the shutter to close and the mirror to drop down before the picture is exposed. They then both re-actuate to return to live view.

A couple of guys on a Canon forum complained bitterly that using live view regularly with a 40D in effect doubles the number of shutter cycles, effectively cutting it's life span in half.

I believe I read that the MTBF on the 40D's shutter is 250,000 cycles. If I used live view 100% of the time (which I don't by any stretch), then that would drop it to 125,000 cycles. I've had the camera just a year this month and have made less than 4,000 exposures. If those were all live view exposures, at that rate, the shutter mechanism should last me about 31.5 years, making it clearly a non-issue.

K

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ok, another dumb queston for you Kent. Even with the camera mounted on a tripod does the fact the shutter closes and the mirror flips down then backup when using live view during a shot transmit any vibration to the camera and eventually to the image?

11. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Not a dumb question at all. Through negative personal experience, I found the answer to be yes, all that vibration does indeed cause slight blurring, especially at low shutter speeds.

One of my clients is a big local home delivery dairy. I take studio shots of their products that I knock out to put on their web site and in printed materials. Since starting with them a year ago, my standard setup has evolved to now use a light tent with hot lights and tripod mount the 40D 15-20 feet away with a Canon 70-200 L IS USM lens to minimize perspective distortion.

I use live view to frame the shot and make sure everything's aligned with a grid screen in the viewfinder. I use manual focusing with IS turned off, manual exposure at the smallest possible aperture and set to 2/3 stop overexposed, self timer set for 2 or 3 seconds and an electronic remote to trigger the shutter.

K

12. Michael Thompson

Home Page:
    hey josh, i bet your right. so far i have only had time to fiddle with the dummy settings, and not enough sit-down-read the manuel- u dummy - time

13. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    the vibrations from shutter speed should usally only effect shooting between 1/4 and 1/60th shutter speeds. (those numbers arnt exact im estimating cause i dont remember the exact numbers, might me morelike 1 sec - 1/30th.) josh maybe u can clarify this.

14. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Well no matter what, mirror slapping in live view shouldn't cause any more vibration than just using the camera like a normal SLR. Mirrors have been flapping and shutters opening/closing on SLR's for over 50 years now.

I suppose slow shutter speeds may be affected by mirror-slap vibration. But FAR more vibration at slow speeds is caused by the fact that you simply can't hand hold a camera at a shutter speed that slow. Your own movement will be much roe of a limiting factor. For use on a tripod, both the Canon 40D and 50D have mirror lockup. Which would be a much better way to go than using live view.

15. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    Yep, mirror lockup is my most missed feature on my d70. i have had a few frames shot at 1/15 that have had a blur from lense slap. at the faster end of expousers 1/60th+ the shutter speed is fast enough to negate it, and at like 2 seconds, the vibration doesnt last long enough for it to have a big impact on the photo.