Canon S90

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Robert Engleheart, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Been looking to upgrade the old Kodak for a while, some unexpected expenses have delayed my move. Looking for a P&S. Anyone have one of these yet? Sure looks like an awesome setup. High ISO with minimal noise and f/2 maximum aperature will allow for great available light shooting. User choice manual controls and sensor quality and RAW are some of the features that make me drool.
    I was all set to get a Panasonic ZS3 @ Costco (about $229 thru 12/20) until I saw the reviews on this.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09...s90handson.asp
    A little pricey at just under $400.
  2. Trevor Thorp Happy to be home in the NW

Fall City, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Haven't looked at the new point and shoots in years. My first digital camera back in 2003 was a Canon Powershot. 4 MP and way to much money. It was one of the hottest P&S out at time. The thing that sold me though, was that Canon was the only company using glass lenses in their P&S cameras at the time. I think Canon still makes the best P&S cameras today. I would spend the extra money.
  3. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +59 / 1
    There are several reviews out there now. Steve's Digicams and Imaging Resource come to mind.

While I shoot Nikon for (D)SLRs, I'm generally a big fan of Canon's compact cameras. Personally I'm more attracted to the G11, but it's bigger and more expensive (if I remember correctly), so I can understand some of the S90's appeal, for sure. Good luck with your decision.
  4. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,010 / 0
    I've got a G10 which is outstanding to the point that I prefer it to my 40D with L series lenses. BUT . . . the rub on the G10 is that its sensor was so crowded to achieve 14mp resolution that low light shots are quite noisy. The G11 solved that by backing file resolution down to 10mp and using a better low-light processor. Apparently the S90 uses the same sensor and processor but with an even faster ƒ2.0 maximum aperture 5:1 optical zoom lens that make its low-light shots among the very best, including those from most DSLRs. The much smaller physical size than the G10/11 and nifty control ring around the lens tempt me to sell my G10 and get an S90 instead.

K
  5. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +150 / 0
    In point and shoots cameras, check for responsiveness. I can't stand the slow shutter response of a lot of the p-and-s cameras. I haven't read anything about the S90, but it's now one of the first things I check.
  6. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    In my experience, slow shutter response times are generally a relic of earlier generations of cameras. My G10 and my wife's Panasonic Lumix (both less than a year old) exhibit virtually zero shutter delay. That said, it's worth remembering that many cameras have a shutter button that operates auto focus and exposure calculation when it's half-depressed. Don't confuse a light touch on the shutter button with shutter activation delay.

K
  7. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Kent,
    I've heard the same about the S90 and that is part of the appeal. Too many neophytes get hung up on pixel count. That and the small size and the manual control ring that's programmable are the appeal to me, along with the f2 maximum aperature.
    R
  8. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Bigger isn't better
  9. seaalki Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +5 / 0
  10. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Not as far as megapixels are concerned. But in aperture size, it's definitely a plus.

K