Car Rod Racks - Safe?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:
    I have a rod holder mounted to the top of my xterra. It consists of two 10 foot PVC pieces painted like a rainbow trout epoxied to a plastic toolbox for the reels to sit in. I just open up the toolbox and slide them in and out. It works like a charm and only cost about 30 bucks to make. Its a great rod holder if you don't mind doing things the ghetto redneck way.

Jslo likes this.
  2. Jslo

Jslo Active Member

Media:
    Pictures :) "screenshot or it didn't happen" lol

3. Fishinbeatsworkin

Fishinbeatsworkin Member

When I'm cruising from point A to point B, I just stick the reel end of my rods under the windshield wipers and lay the rods up the windshield & back over the roof of my car. It works great on Rock Creek & other such places. I don't think I'd do that on a long road trip but for short jaunts, it works fine. Been doing it for about 10 years with no problems

4. Bradley Sines

Bradley Sines ^^

Media:
    So I'm almost two years late to this thread, but oh well!

Some posters on this and a similar thread have said to get the suction cup models instead of the magnetic models, but I've read reviews (specifically of the "Sumo" model Orvis sells) saying the exact opposite - to get magnetic and stay away from suction cups. What gives? Why do WFF members prefer the suction cups?

I was about to buy a suction cup set (my truck has an aluminum hood so no magnets for me), but the pro-magnet anti-suction reviews on the Orvis site gave me some pause. I priced a Yakima rack setup with either ski racks or a padded bungee setup but the cost was well above that of the suction mounts and a lot higher than what I'm interested in spending on this project. Thanks!

5. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Media:
    What is this padded bungee setup? I have the crossbars and want to rig them to hold rods.

6. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Media:
    I have had the mag ones since '05 worked great. I don't use them anymore though.

7. Bradley Sines

Bradley Sines ^^

Media:
    I was literally just going to use surfboard/SUP board pads on the crossbars with some short bungees holding the rods taut against them. Basically the same premise as the suction/magnetic holders, just on crossbars instead of a thing you stick to the car.

I have some Yakima stuff for our other car, but to fit it where and how I'd want it on my truck I'd basically need a whole new setup... bolt toploader bases, towers, bigger crossbars blah blah. Nearly $400... I may still give in and do it, but for now I'm leaning toward simpler and less expensive.

8. kmudgn

kmudgn Active Member

I have a set of Orvis mag mounts that I bought many years ago at their "outlet" location at the factory in Manchester VT. They have worked great. They were in a bin marked "factory seconds", but what can be I don't know except that they were half off

9. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

You forgot, wolves,Cougars, & red headed women !