Cardboard box & book - time to graduate to better wrapping equip?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by para_adams, Jun 11, 2014.

1. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

I've built graphite rods on occasion for the last 30 years and have leaped into refinishing bamboo rods this last year (someone please cure me of this new addiction). I'm still using the old cardboard box with the front cut out and deep V's on the sides with padding to hold the rod pieces for wrapping. The thread is placed through the pages of a book. The larger the book, the greater the tension. Or I'll put something on the book to add more tension.

So, what do you all like to use? How will it help me (I'm sure many ways!). And where can I get one used or otherwise cheap for a tightwad cardboard box man like me?

Ron

_23C0807.jpg

Keith Hixson likes this.
  2. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    I do have a motor to dry my epoxy, but for wrapping I take a tying bobbin, turn it upside down and stick the point in the base of my tying vice, put the tread in the bobbin just like tying flies, and roll the blank in my fingers. I have built 20+ rods and have never used anything to hold my rod.

triploidjunkie and para_adams like this.
  3. jwg

jwg Active Member

a few cup hooks in the side of a scrap piece of two by four hold my rod for wrapping

I've done various things with the thread
    1. mounted the thread on a sewing machine and run it through the tensioner before bringing it down to my rod
    2. home made tensioner with nuts and springs on a piece of threaded rod, the whole thing mounted in a former lamp base
    3. fly tying bobbin as mentioned above.

I like your book idea.

Jay

4. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hey Ron,

I've been using the same set up now for 26 years. I've done fiber glass, graphite and now re-do on bamboo rods. My wrapper is a 3' piece of 2X6 with two 2X4 uprights with V's notched into them. One side is adjustable for different length rod sections. My thread holder is a piece of particle board with some small wood scraps with a wood screw to hold the spool, tighten the screw for more tension. I use a cardboard box with notches for curing the wraps, turning the rod 180 degrees every 15-20 minutes. How's that for low tech? ---Steve

5. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I'm no pro and you've been at it way longer than I have and probably have more rods under your belt as well, so I say this with limited experience. If you've gotten this far with the box why stop now? Unless you're going for production. The only place where you'll probably see a huge difference is with a drying motor. I bought the PacBay "wooden" set up with tensioners and drying motor, the only real difference I see between your set up and mine other than looks is the drying motor. I would have made one out of wood myself but my garage is out of control and I can't bring myself around to cleaning it up to do any "wood work". (not like it's a big job, but my tools are all over the place and I lack space)

6. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    If it ain't broke don't fix it :)

7. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Good lord, I know that feeling. Maybe we should have a "Garage Hall of Shame" photo thread.

para_adams and Alexander like this.
  8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Been rolling rods since 1972 and always hold the rod section freehand when wrapping guides. Only when wrapping next to the tip has it occurred to me that it would be handy to have some support on the far end.

I still use a cardboard box with V notch cutouts for drying. I just turn the rod sections 90 degrees every 10 minutes for the first hour and then 15 minutes for the second hour.

Primitive, but I've put together a lot of rods over the years.

Sg

para_adams likes this.
  9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Why? I have wrapped well over 50 rods in the last 20 years using a homemade (copycat) version of a thread wrapping bench and a Xerox box much like that in the picture for a drying station... worked great. I came close on several occasions buying a high end rod wrapping bench, but never did. No doubt having a motorized turner would have been very convenient, but is certainly not needed. In some ways, completing a nice rod using old school equipment makes the end product seem all that more enjoyable.

Steve Kokita likes this.
  10. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

I'm with you freestoneangler...keep it simple! Spend hard earned $ on bamboo and Hardys!!

freestoneangler likes this.
  11. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Great Book!

12. TribalDragon911

TribalDragon911 Member

I made my thread tension/wrapper with about $10 in supplies from Home Depot. I bought my dryer as a kit off of ebay for $30. I found the rod jig at an estate sale, sans thread tensioner for $5. Got lucky there.

Attached Files:

13. Matthäus

Matthäus Member

Watchya building there?

14. Matthäus

Matthäus Member

This is a great thread. Glad to know I'm not the only one with a less-than-factory setup. I'm wearing it as a badge of honor from here on.

para_adams likes this.
  15. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Nothing wrong with a cardboard box but you really should be putting tension on the thread spool, not the thread itself. Running the thread through a book can create fuzzy thread.

TC

16. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

I am in the process of building another rod after not doing so for about 20-years. I have a set up that can hold two spools of thread---threaded bar stock and washers and a couple of springs...a gift I got (ordered from cabellas) about a 20-years ago. I am so frustrated with the thread tensioner that I am going to go back to the spool in a bowl, run it through a book and then through an eye hook. Nothing wrong with keeping life simple. I would use a turner for the drying step...it is far too easy for me to get distracted while the rod is drying.

17. hbmcc

hbmcc Member

You might want to carve out a shop area first. The dining table only works for so long, but never long enough. Until the shop, I see the box being valuable for shuffling work around, too.

Ask me why I know....

18. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

Ha! Bruce you are very right about that. I actually picked up a nifty little wooden tool/structure for wrapping rods this year from a retiring rod builder but I do still have that old box. I just pull both out to the kitchen table together. One to hold the odds and ends I need, the other to hold the thread and rod piece. Ron

19. hbmcc

hbmcc Member

20. Chucker

Chucker Active Member

I have a set up made of scrap bits of wood. It's basically the same as the cardboard box! I also made a drying setup using the motor out of a tape recorder that someone dropped off a bridge. However, I did buy a thread tensioner. $10 seemed like a reasonable amount for it at the time, and it has been worth it.

para_adams likes this.