care to share your wide angle lens and image?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by yuhina, Oct 22, 2009.

1. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am a big fan of wide-angle lens. I was wondering if any fans out there and if you would like to share your opinions about your wide angle lens...

I use this sigma 10mm/2.8 in a recent trip, it converted to 16mm angle when paired with 1.6 factor camera body . This lens is very sharp, distortion is well controlled, and performed pretty well for the price. The only drawback of this lens is there is no external mount for the filter.

I would like to see your wide angle lens and what you think if it is good for your fishing trip...:thumb:

[​IMG]

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I use a Sigma 10-20mm 1:4-5.6 DC HSM. I think I stated before that I don't use it as much as I thought would when I bought it. It is a bit slow but for the shots I do with a wide angle I don't need a fast lens. I have posted this pic up before. I don't have access to any others at this time but if you want to see more I will put some up later. I don't have the details of this shot but it was shot using a Tiffen circular polarizer and I likely used a software graduated filter when processing.

[​IMG]

3. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I took this one last fall. Always thought it was a cool shot.

[​IMG]

This one is from the Missouri.

[​IMG]

I was using Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 lens on a 40D.

4. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    cool stuff! I used a lot of polarized filter in the outdoors too. Adjust the touch of light. ibn, the second shot looking like filled some external flash. love it! nicely done.

5. Bugthrower

Bugthrower Willits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Canon AF 16-35mm 2.8L full frame sensor
    [​IMG]

Canon FD 20mm 2.8 Slide Film
    [​IMG]

Canon AF 16-35mm 2.8L Full Frame Sensor
    [​IMG]

Canon FD 20mm 2.8 Slide FIlm
    [​IMG]

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    one of Kuma screwing around with the new D90 using Sigma 10-20
    [​IMG]

7. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    Nikkor AF fisheye 10.5mm on a d5000 body...about 16mm, from what I understand (which isn't much).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I borrowed it from a buddy, and now I have to give it back and sell enough gear to get my own. Looking at a traditional wide-angle, as opposed to a fisheye - any suggestions?

8. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    All sweet photos! Gentlemen:thumb: keep them coming!

If I want to concentrate on wide angle lens, that would be Nikon's lens. (I am a Canon user, but I do use converter to attached Nikon lens to my Canon body), because Nikon wide angle lens usually produce better results (In my opinion, of course,and the reverse is true for Canon lens). One of the advantage to use Canon body is you can use converter to attached different lens from other companies (Leica, Contax and Nikon), because Canon has shallowest body among them. You will lost the auto-focus function, but for wide angle lens, it does not really matter. Here is the review of the new lens, I think he rated it in a pretty high level. (I think this would be a good investment)
    Link http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/14-24mm.htm
    The Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 AF-S is an ultra-ultra wide zoom. It's not a fisheye; straight lines stay straight. It is intended for use on the D3, D700 and film cameras. It works great on the D300, but you're paying dollars and pounds just to use the center of the image. The 12-24mm DX and Tokina 11-16mm are smarter ideas for the D300 or any other DX camera.

The Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 AF-S sets a new standard in ultra-ultra wide angle lenses. It is the best on the planet, and by a large margin. The 14-24mm is significantly sharper than any fixed or zoom ultrawide from Canon or Nikon that I've ever used, and I've used both Canon and Nikon's 14mm, 18mm and ultra-wide zoom lenses extensively.

The 14-24mm does things no lens before has done. It is sharper wide-open at 14mm in the far corners than my fixed 14mm f/2.8 is stopped down at f/5.6! For sharpness, the 14-24mm is blazingly sharp and devoid of any coma or softness at every aperture, everywhere in the full film and FX Digital field. It's just nuts! Optically, if you're looking too close, it makes the other ultra-wides look like poo-poo. Of course if you're just taking pictures, any of the other lenses (20-35mm, 17-35mm, 18-35mm) works fine, and they take filters which the 14-24mm can't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sigma 10mm/2.8

9. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    I use the Nikon 10-24, and shoot it pretty much exclusively at 10mm (gotta get real close). I use a Nikon circular polarizer too. On a Nikon D90.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/10-24mm.htm

here's a few quick examples (a few better ones in the gallery)

10. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Very nice stuff indeed. IMO if your going to do fishing photography out of the small confines of a DB or Puma type raft, you NEED wide to do it up right.

I love the look of a smartly executed bank shot w/ subject up close & scenic background wrapped around the back.

[​IMG]

Nice shot here, better than what I could pull up off my old hard drive.

Clark that you?

c/22

11. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    Nope. My ugly mug, as shot by my buddy Narwhal...

I decided to stick with the fisheye, because I like the "wraparound" effect it provides on intimate shots.

To that end I picked up a Tokina 10-17 DX 3.5-4.5 for a pretty sweet price.

12. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Media:
    Hey G,

Dig the shots. I fished those same waters this fall. The down stream side channel was alot of fun for me also. Sight fishing is a kick.