Careful, It's Hot Out There

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jerry Metcalf, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

Local lakes have been heating up and will get dangerously (for the fish) hot in the next week or so. Shallow places like Leech Lake will be at 70 or over and you can kill the fish by stressing them. Deep lakes, like Chopaka, will have very warm surface temps and fighting the fish at the surface does them harm.

It would be best for the fish to just stay on the shore and look at the pretty sights, or take a hike. The fish will be there waiting for you when it cools down.

Lue Taylor, Tom Bowden and Tacoma Red like this.
  2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Jerry, good point.

I may go over to a Oregon coastal lake on Saturday because it is cooler over there and the lake is planted so I'm not overly concerned about water temps.

But if you're fishing stillwaters that hold fish you'd rather not harm, the water temps are a concern.

3. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    Yes...everyone stay home the next 2 weeks. There is nothing to see..... avoid all lakes and dont bother the guy out there enjoying his time on the water. The rains of Summer will be here shortly and you can then return to your regular programming.

And for places Like Leech lake that receive planted fish every year.... just wait til the next factory batch are dumped in the lake... :D

jwg and Steve Kokita like this.
  4. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

I agree with Jerry, maybe go catch bluegills or the salt water stays cold with plenty of resident sea weed to catch....

Lue Taylor likes this.
  5. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

To clarify, Leech gets just one plant a year of larger fish. Kill them off and they are gone until next spring. The lake is only 6' deep and gets warm fast.

6. chief

chief Active Member

Time to hit the carp flats!

7. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Please everyone stay off the lakes I am a Fish Whisperer I know how to handle those stress out fish I just sore them anyway never catch 'em