Carkeek park and SRC

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by mbachhub, May 24, 2005.

1. mbachhub

mbachhub New Member

I recently moved near Carkeek park and was wondering if anyone ever flyfishes for SRC there. I have never flyfished for them before, but really want to learn. I thought it would if I could go to a beach minutes from my house to practice. Any advice/info you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Mike

2. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Carkeek Park has the attributes of a good Searun Cutthroat beach but I have not had much luck there. I have talked with Jim Koolick who fishes Meadow Point at Shilshole often and he has luck at Carkeek at times. Give it a try and let us know how you do.

3. mbachhub

mbachhub New Member

What characteristics make a beach an effective place/habitat for Searun Cutthroat? What should you look for or target when fishing?

4. sjterry

sjterry Sr. Lurker

Media:
    On what Tide would you fish beaches like Golden Gardens (the North end is Medow Point I believe) and Carkeek?

5. Steve Rohrbach

Media:
    Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout - Flies, Techniques, Conservation by Les Johnson is a great source to answer most of your questions.
    I would also suggest you search this forum for "Sea Run Cutthroat Beaches." Two threads will help you greatly, "Best Tide to Fish" and "Another Big Sea Run Cutthroat Secret Revealed!!! SSShhh..."
    The great part of fishing the beach is that most are different. Exploring and learning about the fish and their behavior and their habitat is a great part of the fun. The best way to learn is to get out and fish. Good luck.

6. Steve Rohrbach

Media:
    Fly Fishing the Salt for Searun Cutthroat Trout by Greg Tims is available on this site. Click on articles on the header and you will find it in the Knowledge Base under Fly Fishing Articles.

7. fishwhipped

fishwhipped New Member

Mike,

I've fished Carkeek Park a handful of times with just 1 SRC to hand (last week) but see or feel fish about every other trip. I live nearby and would be happy to meet you there and share tips. I think it fishes best the hours before and after high tide. In fact, I'll be there early tomorrow morning if you get this message. Cheers, Mark

8. mbachhub

mbachhub New Member

Thanks for all of the input! I will be unable to fish there this week but hopefully will next week. If I do, I will let you all know. we could maybe even grab a pint at the pipers pub afterwards.

Mike

9. tyeechuck

tyeechuck Member

Just returned from Carkeek,

I spent only a short time out this morning. I had one hit on a small krill pattern. It felt good. Last Saturday I got 2 SRC in the 14-16 inch size and a bunch of hits from smolt on my size 14 krill. I fished it with Bob Young on Monday but we were both skunked. Sometimes they are there sometimes not, but always worth a short time on the beach before the crowds get there on a nice day.

Jim Koolick

10. Steve Rohrbach

Media:
    Jim, welcome to the board. It will be great hearing your reports as I know that you are a regular at Meadow Point and Carkeek. I may head to the west side of the sound Monday to search for some SRC. Have a great holiday. Steve

11. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Hello Jim. Good to see you on the board. Are you still trailing my popper with your "Nothing with an Attitude?"

Leland.