Carnage Paradrake SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by ScottP, May 27, 2013.

  1. ScottP Active Member

    Posts: 632
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    [IMG]

    Figured I'd try the Carnage body on a drake. Wasn't too sure how it would work and looking at the results, I've got a ways to go to get a properly tapered body. This is the first attempt but hopefully, you get the idea; pretty raw but even so, it'll float and I'm going to try find out this week if it'll fish.

    hook - Dai Riki 125 #14
    thread - UTC 140 tan
    tail - elk hair
    body - .5mm foam
    wing post - Congo Hair white
    hackle - barred cream
    thorax - dubbing tan

    poke a hole in a strip of .5mm foam (1/2 hook gap width)

    [IMG]


    slide on needle (inserted in vise)

    [IMG]


    coat needle with Mucilin (or wax)

    [IMG]


    start thread on needle

    [IMG]


    clean and stack a few elk hair fibers

    [IMG]


    lay fibers on needle and tie in with a few wraps

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    trim butts, tie off thread and slide foam up against tail

    [IMG]


    brush on a little Super Glue

    [IMG]


    grab the tag end and spiral the foam up the needle

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    then slide the body off the needle; trim tag end

    [IMG]


    mash the hook barb, insert in vise and wrap thread to hook point

    [IMG]


    position body on hook, coat thread wraps and about 1/2" of foam with Super Glue

    [IMG]


    wrap body forward a few turns, tie off and trim

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    tie in a hank of Congo Hair and post up; then tie in hackle

    [IMG]

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    apply some dubbing and dub thorax; return thread to position at base of post

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    start wrapping hackle from the top of the post down

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    let the hackle hang down; take 2 turns of thread at base of post, trapping hackle

    [IMG]


    half hitch x2 at hook eye, SHHAN, trim wing post and you're done

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    Need to work on body taper; wider turns to start, closer together to make it a bit thicker at the base - I think. A few less tail fibers would probably be in order, too; I'll play around a little. Don't know that I'd go much smaller than a #14.

    Regards,
    Scott
    Teenage Entomologist likes this.
  2. ScottP Active Member

    Posts: 632
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    Stretching the foam, starting the initial wraps as wide as possible with lots of tension and very little overlap, then decreasing tension and increasing overlap created the taper I was looking for. Also switched to the Dai Riki 135 (scud hook) to get a little more weight on the underside.

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    Took it out for a test drive and it landed upright and floated like a champ, even during a downpour. Didn't catch anything on it (managed a very nice squawfish on a foam skwala) but I'm not sure there are any trout in the part of the stream I was fishing anyway.

    Regards,
    Scott
  3. ScottP Active Member

    Posts: 632
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    [IMG]

    [IMG]

    Probably going to miss the green drake hatch but I'll downsize it a bit for flavs; olive grizzly hackle's 2700 miles away so subbed dun grizzly.

    Regards,
    Scott
  4. ScottP Active Member

    Posts: 632
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    Drakes using 1mm foam were even more fragile than the hoppers. After stumbling upon the heat-shrink tubing idea for hoppers, which probably wouldn't work well on a mayfly except maybe Hex or mutant Labrador monstrosities, I gave the Hareline tubing (standard size) a try for a Fall Drake. A bit crude, kinks to be worked out, but it'll fish; SBS to follow

    [IMG]

    [IMG]

    btw, the dark wing made a huge difference for me on the days I was down in YNP; flat light made seeing anything a challenge, but the black showed up very well.


    Regards,
    Scott
  5. ScottP Active Member

    Posts: 632
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    Insert pin/needle into vise (not sure what size it is, but it's very thin)

    [IMG]


    take some tubing and slide it on to the needle

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    trim tubing, leave a bit extended past the tip of the needle (makes it easier to grab)

    [IMG]


    start thread back where the tail will be tied in, then spiral wrap tubing to help anchor it to the pin, otherwise it just rotates

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    stack a few moose body hairs for the tail and tie them in; hackle fibers tend to suck up Super Glue (capillary action) and I'm not crazy about how that looks

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    trim butts and tie in ribbing

    [IMG]


    spread a little Super Glue and wrap 1mm foam strip

    [IMG]

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    trim stub end of foam by tail, rib body; tie off rib and brush with a little Sally


    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    finished body

    [IMG]

    [IMG]

    [IMG]


    Rest of the steps are the same


    Regards,
    Scott
  6. ScottP Active Member

    Posts: 632
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    updated Carnage Green ParaDrake (using Swiss Straw underbody); tied here on a #10 Dai Riki 135 scud hook

    [IMG]

    [IMG]

    rib omitted (debating whether it's necessary)
    Regards,
    Scott