Carp Attempt:

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by FLYRODR, Apr 23, 2006.

1. FLYRODR Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Just returned from the mother-in-outlaw's in Kennewick today. Spent a couple of days at Columbia Park trying to catch a carp on a woollyworm with no luck. Water was stained from Yak inflow. Lots of carp jumping all around though. Can anyone advise the reason behind carp jumping as they do? They can't be feeding, can they? Anyone with some legit bonefish tips for this person of perseverance??????:beathead:
  2. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Zen, this one has you written all over it. I pass the ball to you for the score.
  3. wrench Member

Libby, Mt, US.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    There is a great article on this site written by a true expert in this field, and it discusses several areas around the Tri-Cities. Those carp that are jumping are just having fun, showing off, etc. You need to find feeding carp, nose down, looking at the bottom. Columbia Park is not good carp water, often way way too muddy. Find a feeding fish, get the fly right in front of him/her, hang on. Next time you head to Kennewick let me know!
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0

Thats the way fish flip you off. And besides they were laughing at you.

Jim
  5. suckegg Active Member

Ellensburg, WA,
    Ratings: +90 / 0
    They seem to "get real wild" when in the spawning mode... image that. That is widely viewed as the most difficult time to catch them. Did you happen to check the water temp? Skip the wooly worm and take a look at Spirit River's carp flys.
  6. fish-on Waters haunt me....

camano island
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    FLYRODR,

Catching carp starts with knowing where they are. Now that you said you found them, the next thing to do is to find out what mood are they in. You can find several carp (sometimes hundreds) in an area and they are all doing different things. I find it hardest (impossible) to catch those that are jumping. Not quite sure why they do this but I see this most of the time when the fish are spawning.

I don't have good luck either when I can't see fish when the water is muddy. I believe the bottom gets muddy because the fish are stirring the bottom as they spawn, I stay away from these areas. I look for clear water so I can see exactly what the fish are doing.

I've had good luck with fish that are rooting at the bottom. You can find them by looking for small mud puffs which they make as they search the bottom for food. Some of these fish will even have their tails sticking out of the water similar to bonefish in really shallow water. I like to present slightly weighted flies to these guys, the take however can be pretty tricky. Sometimes I won't see them suck in my fly. In this case, if I have that feeling that they did, I just lift my rod slowly, If they are there, I set the hook. On some occasion, the fish will be on top of your fly and will do a sharp turn, I set the hook when they do so.

I've had luck with fish that are "clooping" (on the surface, feeding with their snouts almost out of the water.) I present a dry fly to these fish and most of the time they take it.

There are also the cruisers. I have 50/50 chance on getting these fish. If I put a good cast on the direction in which they are heading without spooking the fish, they will take. I've had fish turn and gobble up my fly from a distance. There is no mistaking the takes on this one, set the hook and hang on.

Carp are not picky, believe it or not I have good luck just by using the lowly Wooly worms. weighted and unweighted. I also use some generic nymph patterns and they work too. There is an article in this site. Just do a search, it has some great info on how to get these feisty fish at the end of your line.

Tight lines

John
  7. Rory McMahon Active Member

lynnwood
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    "why do carp jump"

Probably the same reason salmon jump.
  8. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Carp jump because they need air and its hard to breath under water.

Read the carping article, Wrench did a killer job, expert beyond where im ever gonna be unless i can forget about steelhead.

Those fish were prob spawning at not interested in feeding. That flat at the yak mouth can be good but I have only cauht fish there later in the year, I think the cold water coming from that yak this time of the year puts them off the feed. Anyways keep going, wolly worm is a great fly to start with, stick to both dark and light colors til u find something that works. Good luck.

Peace,
    Andy
  9. MrP Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Trudat Baby!

Why do they jump? Who knows? Are jumping Carp likely prospects? Nope. Crashers and thrashers in the shallows? Nope. Fast cruisers? Nope. Sunbathers? Probably not. Slow crusiers? Maybe? Feeding fish? Bingo!
  10. ErieSteelhead Guest

I'm not sure if west coast carp are different than the east coast ones. Never fished for them out here. Any way if they feed the same, you'll never catch one on the top of the water. If they are jumping on the top, no worries, drop underneath them and leave your fly between 6-12 inches off of the bottom. There will be some feeding down there. Ratts with fins, used to catch them 20 + lbs outta the Ohio river when I was a kid using a red piece of rubber band as bait.
  11. Dan Soltau New Member

Bozeland, MT - Raleigh, NC
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    they catch huge carp on big horn lake (montana) with dries, it is like gulper fishing apparently.
  12. Shensler New Member

Bothell, WA
    We used to hook into plenty of carp on the Susquehanna River in upsate New York every summer. What a blast!

Look for the mud trails- as was said before, they're nosing the mud for hellgramites or (I've seen this) flipping rocks with their foreheads looking for crayfish. Throw a fly 6-10' up stream of the mud trail, let it drift into their filed of view, and start stripping.

Tried, true and simple: tie a #12 or #10 4x long brown or olive wolley bugger with a dark colored dumbell tied to the top of the shank so it rides point up (no snags, of course). Additionally, you can rotate your vice so you're tying hook up. Lace two clumps of brown calf tail so they are split on either side of the hook to imitate claws.

You can tie a years worth in one sitting... provided you also have a 12 pack and nothing to do the next morning :beer1:

Steve