Carp Fly Swap final instructions

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Roper, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Well, here's the scoop on the Carp Fly Swap. We have 10 folks that have more or less agreed to participate in the swap.

MacRowdy, Black Leech of Death
    Sparse, Carp Wolley or Crawfish
    Picean, Kitchen towel :rofl
    FlyfishNM, Ugly bug
    Little Stone, Maggot
    wrench, Montana Carp bug
    King Rex, Crawfish
    Andy Leighton, PT variation
    PH2738, Wolley wormy thingie
    Me, Dragon/damsel nymph

So tie up 12 of your bugs and send them on or before March 15th to:

Roper
    3309 108th St SE
    Everett, WA 98208

I'll mix them up and mail them back. Extra bugs will be returned to the original tier if no one else joins. Please include some return postage, Thanks.

Roper, beware the ides of March

2. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Wait...wait...wait...I want in. I have found the secret carp fly....It is suppose to be THE TOP carp getting fly and held in extreme regards amongst serious carp fly people. Can I still join the swap....please please please...I promise not to piss anyone off anymore...please. :bawling ..But I cant state what the fly actually is...you have to trust me on this one.

~Patrick ><>

3. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

I'm still in, I'll try to get them tied by this weekend.

~Ryan

4. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Youse in Bro'...tie 'em up!

Roper,

Truth above all else

5. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Ides of March

In like a lion....

Roper: If your are gonna slam me you should at least spell my login name correctly, dude...where's the love?

I'll participate with my favorite carp fly ( one that actually fools those wily carp)

I loudly snap a kitchen towel in your general direction!

-Piscean

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Ides of March

Ouch! I suddenly have an "S" shaped welt on my....ouch!

No slam intended, actually I felt your original reply was quite funny, hence the Kitchen Towel moniker for your fly.

Welcome Piscean!

Roper,

Truth above all else

7. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Hey guys.. I am not participating(my tying is below pathetic), but I remember there were some suggestions that came up from the last swap.

You guys might wanna consider attaching a tag to all your flies so the recipients know what they're getting... Another suggestion.... include tying instructions.

:beer2

8. Brad Niemeyer

Out like a lamb...

Maybe I should change my "Trusty Rusty" brown nymph to the "Kitchen towel" nymph and call it good...

Truth be told, Wrench is the king carp catcher here...I've caught a few and I will definitely go back for more...But he is dialed into the carp thing in eastern WA...

What we should do is share carp sightings, since the carp fishery is never in danger of being over fished...I'll start with a few choice spots and a few leads:

Confirmed sightings
    1) Banks Lake
    2) Upper Crab creek
    3) Lower Crab creek
    4) Moses lake
    5)The columbia (near Finley
    6)Yakima "Richland Y"

Rumored:
    Upper and lower Goose Lakes
    Winchester waste way
    Frechman hills waste way
    Evergreen reservoir
    Vancouver lake

Key is large carp in shallow wadeable areas...If you find that, you will succeed...(see attached pic of a smallish 9 pounder from banks lake)

Long live the Carp!:thumb
    -Piscean
    Calmness is power....:

9. wrench

wrench Member

King Carp Katcher???

Wow, I am not sure I really want the title.....Piscean, do I know you?? Anyway, good list of spots, EXCEPT the Richland "Y" is a horrible muddy place, you can never see the fish unless their backs are almost sticking out of the water, and should you try to wade around, we may never hear from you again...
    Would like to know some good spots in Moses Lake, anybody got any ??

10. Brad Niemeyer

King Carp Katcher???

Dude, I'm hurt...:rofl you sent me to Upper Crab Creek last summer where I saw some monsters but I couldn't hook up...Its the Zen bubbles thing...I do better when I can see the fish in the shallows...I may try again there but my other leads sound better...and closer to me (Seattle)

I used to live in Richland, but unfortunately I didn't think carp could be hooked on the fly back then ('90-'95) ...Doh! now I know better!

Caught any monster bull trout lately? what's the weather like in MT today?

If you like I'll shoot you an email whenever I have carp success...

Piscean
    Calmness is power....

11. wrench

wrench Member

King Carp Katcher???

Your right, I DO know you!! You should pop me with the wet towel that is hanging around here for the slip. YES, by all means Email me when you start seeing carp or catching fish!! I love that spot on Crab above ML, seems I can always swing in there and get a couple of pigs.
    Bull trout, yea, but this is gonna sound crazy, am getting a bit tired of catching 6 to 20lb bulls, can't wait for spring, carp, pike, trout rising to caddis, etc. IS friging cold here, my buddy wants to go out tomorrow mid-day for a few hours, will let you know if we do any good, if my frozen fingers will still type.....

12. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Before I start whippin' up a dozen flies, I think everyone needs to acknowledge that they are in...So far:

ME: flyfishnm
    Piscean
    Pwoens
    Wrench
    Roper
    Sparse

The rest of yous guys need to reply to this post before we start tying up the flies

~Ryan

13. Sparse is in. and Steelhead are overrated..

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)

14. soreshoulder

soreshoulder New Member

i am in and have begun cranking out my pt variation in mass. may the carp run in fear.

does anyone know a decent carp location for this time of year? i would like to go and wade some shallows after them this weekend. anything within 3 hours of seattle is fair game for me. thanks.

15. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

I take it YT did not put you into any steelies this past attempt?? I think you need to hire a new guide..LOL :+

~Patrick ><>

16. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

I think the extra bugs should stay with the swapmeister for his time and dedication that must put in to manage such a group of hooligans...

I was thinking of putting a piece of corn as the head of the fly and then tying a bunny strip on the hook and calling it the advanced black leech of death :p

~Patrick ><>

17. Brad Niemeyer

Too Cold for Carp

Soreshoulder:

Timing is everything...The temperature is too low for productive carp fishing right now...

I have a medium sized koi pond with 4 large koi ( 20 pounds) and they are dormant right now, in fact if i did feed them it might kill them..their metabolism is so slow that digestion might not take place correctly in the gut...(Carp don't have a proper stomach) 50F degrees is the threshold where feeding activity starts. Carp are warm water fish that have adapted to colder climes.

Late April or early May is your best first chance. Carp are feeding ravenously then prior to spawn. Spawning carp are tight lipped so get your fix in that window of time.;)

If you need a good location to wade the flats email me...or ask the Blue Dun fly shop...:thumb

-Piscean
    Calmness is power....

18. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Cornsucker!

19. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Im in...Damn you.

20. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Ok, A final revised version, if you want to be in, you have to reply by tomorrow, so this is who we have so far:

ME: flyfishnm
    Piscean
    Pwoens
    Wrench
    Roper
    Sparse
    SoreShoulder
    Little Stone

Hey, Mac are you in on this one or not?

~Ryan

Roper, hope you don't mind me being the "tell the people who is in the swap, guy", as I originated the great idea of the carp fly swap, but didn't have the guts to carry it through.:7 :beer2