Carp Fly Swap?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by flyfishnm, Feb 14, 2003.

1. flyfishnm Member

Helena, MT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    With all the interest in carp fishing on this board, I might put together a carp fly swap. I have never done one before, but thought this would be a unique idea to pursue. Is anyone interested?

~Ryan
  2. rockymountain_brown Senore Member

Montana.
    :D
    Sounds good. I will be willing to put on some of my better flies; hot dog, "spit fly", etc.
    The spit fly is one of my favorites.
    RMB
    :eek:
  3. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +791 / 1
    I'm in! I'll tie some of my Canned Corn flies.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Roper,

Tie me, Fly me, Whip me, Strip me.
  4. flyfishnm Member

Helena, MT
    Hah hah, joke all you want...Are you guys in or not?

~Ryan
  5. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Of course I'm in! Humor is simply a requirement for all fishing subjects in my book.

Roper,

Tie me, Fly me, Whip me, Strip me.
  6. Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Fayetteville, NY, USA.
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Sounds sweet. How does a fly swap work? Is it a trade thing, like 1:1 or does the hot dog fly get 1:3? This is kind of a dumb question to ask so send me a private email with some instructions.

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)
  7. MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Ashton, Idaho
    Carp Love bunny leeches. I'm in for sure!

Mac
  8. flyfishnm Member

Helena, MT
    The more the merrier, I need someone who is knowledgable in fly swaps to give the basic instructions as I have never been in one before, let alone set one up. Is there a maximum number of participants?

~Ryan
  9. fly15 New Member

I have put on a fly swap before and participated in several. Usually You have any where from 4 to 15 guys in the swap I like 6 to 8 guys so you don't have to hurry to tie your flies you can take your time and make a quality fly. What happens is if there are 6 people in the swap each person mails 6 identical flies to the swap master then he seperates them giving every one 1 fly from every person in the swap that way you get six different carp flies. Then of course the swap master mails the flies back to everyone in the swap. The swap makes it so you get six different flies from every one and get to see new carp patterns and flies that other people use. I don't think I am going to be the swap master but I will join the swap count me in.:thumb

fly15
  10. Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Fayetteville, NY, USA.
    OK, rather than some "swap-master" (Real carp thugz call him M.C. Swap Meet) incurring all the expense of postage, lets meet at the FFF/Fidalgo/YRFF booth on a designated Saturday or Sunday next week at "The Fly Fishing Show" at a certain time. Shows open from like 10-6. Regardless, it would be cool to meet some carp thugz.

Sparse

(Sir Izaak Walton)
  11. flyfishnm Member

Helena, MT
    I really wish I could but I am out in New Mexico right now. I spend my time between NM and Washington, and usually get up there in the summer months.

~Ryan
  12. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Yo, yo, yo...Sparse, you've been watching too much MTV...! And the FFS opens at "like 9:00, dude". I hear a Denny's Grand Slam calling before the show...

Roper,

Carpe Carpio
  13. fly15 New Member

I won't be able to make it to the FFS either but what you can do to avoid the swap master paying for postage is everyone in the swap sends postage with there flies so they can be returned with that postage rather then the swap master paying for it. Just a suggestion.

fly15
  14. flyfishnm Member

Helena, MT
    Maybe all of us carpers could start yet another group, Team Carp, or something to that affect. Right now I am a long distance member. We should change our signatures something carp related...I sneak my rod onto the golf course so I can get my carp high....

~Ryan
  15. rockymountain_brown Senore Member

Montana.
    :*
    This sounds like great fun. I'm in.
    I know you guys won't be able to keep your hands off of my hot dog, spit, and the brand new sausage fly.
    These flies are also great conversation pieces.
    Out
    RMB
  16. soreshoulder New Member

seattle, wa, usa.
    count me in i am very interested in exchanging my favorite carp styles with others. as for the hotdog fly ... i hope i dont mistake it for my lunch. and yes i will include return postage for the grand master swap wizard.
  17. Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Fayetteville, NY, USA.
    Yo Roper, Waddup' Dog?

I guess I'll have to meet you for the Denny's Grandslam breakfast just so that I can get to the show on time!

Sparse

(Sir Izaak Walton)
  18. wrench Member

Libby, Mt, US.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    No swap expert here, but usually, when as per the above example you have 6 folks in on the swap, they all tie 6 flies to mail to the swapmeister, included with the six flies is a self addressed stamped envolope just like the one you sent to swapmeister, so all he has to do is ship you the assortment of flies back in the envolope you provided. Is also cusomary to include an extra fly as a "tip" for the swapmeister. THe vanilla envolopes and some small box ( I have used a soap travel container) work fine, as far as postage, it costs the same both ways, so attach the same postage that it took to send it. Flies should be labeled with tyer's name. can't wait till spring.........
  19. mr trout Trevor Hutton

Yakima, WA, USA.
    wow, call me ignorant or what, but i guess i havent heard about this "fly fishing show". When and where is it? I think i need to go. hey, and if the dennys thing is a go, lemme know. i love that place...

~T

Money can't buy a perfect presentation
  20. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    I checked the mail this evening, and to my glee, got my Spring edition of Flyfishing and Tying journal. Immediately I thumbed through the pages checking out the stories and SUPRISE! Dave Witlock has put out this excellent article on how to catch of all things, CARP! So if you want some great reading he's included his ten tips on how to catch these critters, AND some patterns he's tied. I might have to give it a shot in the near future after reading this cool article...:thumb
    Rich