Carp/love

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Gary Thompson, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

My fishing partner and I went to Banks lake to try our luck on smallies,
    No luck on the smallies.
    At times like this I was wishing I had brought spin gear and grubs. No, no I'm not going to the "Dark side"
    We did get in on what we called a "carp love fest"
    These big couples were really tearing it up, side by side, in the weeds, over the rocks.
    I should not say hundreds but the shore lines and flats were covered with spawning carp.
    We were able to get the boat right into them, they didn't care.
    I'm thinking give'em another week and we'll go back and see if we can hook into some of these "golden bones"

2. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

We came across big groups doing the "pre-game shuffle" so the river is behind that lake anyway. I haven't seen a feeding carp or even one looking down while cruising the last couple weekends on the Columbia. I swear this 'love biz" is going down late this year. Managed to get 3 with unweighted incitements in an attempt to appeal to the opportunist side of my quarry over the last two weekends. All were mid-water column takes and on the move. I focused on loners or fish on the edge of roving groups. One was a 20 lber and another jump well out of the water 3 times! Might well be the 4th till things settle down. I wonder of Moses would be better now as it usually warms quicker and "the party" might be over there?

3. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    Maybe if you tried a Spanish fly you would get better results...

4. Trashfisher

Trashfisher Member

Media:
    I fished Banks on June 13 and got no takers from carp concentrated in areas of soft bottoms with veg lined shores. However, I moved on to the hard flats and found a couple of willing cruises. I fished the lower Columbia south of Tri-cities on June 6 and love was definitely in the air (or water?) at that time. Now the spawn is over for that area but the weather has made for tough sight fishing.

5. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    One word. Bowfishing...

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Bow fishing is two words.:thumb:
    If I would have had a bow I would have had to get back a yard or two.
    Using a spear would have been easier.
    We could have hand netted these fish, we got so close.

7. Trashfisher

Trashfisher Member

Media:
    It strikes me as very odd as to why anyone who enjoys fly fishing for carp would condone any sort of bow fishing.

8. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

To look at the "Bow" then look at the "fly rod"
    Fishing? with a bow, not really fishing.
    More like hunting for fish with a bow.
    Condoning the use of or not condoning the use of different equipment on this forum is kinda up to the members of the forum.
    An example, I hunt. I kill animals to eat. I don't eat bears so I don't hunt bears.
    I do not condone the hunting (killing) of bears for sport.
    Now if you want to hunt (kill) bears and talk about it here on this forum that is alright with me.
    So if Connor wants to talk about shooting (killing) carp with a bow and call it bow fishing that is alright with me.
    Trashfisher, I like the exchange of ideas with people that had different opinions. With an open mind we all learn from that exchange.
    Now after talking about killing for sport (bears).
    Connor killing carp for sport?
    Killing carp for management sounds like a better idea.
    C&R carp or kill carp for management?
    There are many ideas about that here on this forum.
    What is your idea/opinion?

9. Trashfisher

Trashfisher Member

Media:
    Well put gary. My statement above is linked to the question "What would happen to the quality of the carp fishing in my favorite spots if bow fishing became prevalant?" and on my own assumed answer, "The carp fishing would decline because of excessive removal and of and pressure on the fish". I am not a fisheries biologist and so I am not qualified in predicting weather or not carp populations are sustainable with a lot of bow fishing going on. It just seems such a waste to shoot good carp just for a thrill when you can have so much more fun catching them on the fly. But, that's a matter of opinion. To me, shooting any wild, non-domesticated animal for kicks without the intent to consume the animal (for food) or withput the intent of sustainable population management is flat wrong and in the spirit of poor sportsmanship.

Chuck S likes this.
  10. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

So far I have seen only a hand full of people shooting carp (in many years) and Connor is the only one I know personally that is shooting carp.
    As far as I know there are no regs on shooting carp.
    Maybe Connor will chime in and give us some more input.
    In the places I have fished for the carp there are lot and lots, and lots and lots.
    I tried my luck shooting carp and I didn't have my equipment tuned right and scored a big fat 0.
    It was not as easy as it looked.
    I totally agree about killing animals just for sport, there has to be a usage.
    Carp skin cowboy boots?

11. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

I fished Banks on Tues. and Wed. They still seemed to be preoccupied with their spawn. Any cruisers I casted to weren't interested. This was my first time with stalking them on the flats - I found it similar to actual bone fishing. A lot of fun!

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

My son is coming out from MT for a visit (4th of July) and I'm hoping we can get into some carp action by then.

13. WT

WT Member

you could fish for them with dynamite and not put a dent in the population.

14. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    Hey guys, sorry I didn't realize what my comment had done. I do enjoy bowfishing... ( That's what they call it, although I do know it is not fishing. It is hunting...) Anyways, I would like to think that I am doing our sportfish a favor, but I know that there will always be too many carp. I will let you know that I do have friends in the organic farming business that will actually buy fish for use as fertalizer in their fields...

15. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

So, Connor are you telling me you are selling carp to pay for gas to go fishing?
    Sounds good to me.

Chuck S likes this.
  16. Chuck S

Chuck S New Member

Bow Fishing for Carp and other fish rates way down on my hot button list although I've tried it. The reasons are many but conservation, the love of fly fishing and catching huge fish, and the skill needed to fly fish for them versus Bow Fishing are all reasons that I bow fish for Carp no more. A couple of points in Washington the law does say that you must use any fish killed so don't kill and discard as that's hardly the best for our resources unless F&G have decided that a particular lake needs the population thinned and you are in on that approved effort. other than that last I heard you do need a commercial license to sell fish and shellfish in Washington . By the way the fishing for Carp movements now enjoy many individuals and organizations that support catch and release, or selective release where a few are kept for the pan but most are released. Both are admirable conservation strategies. They are good eating, really good canned, and one favorite receipe of mine has them fried in hamburger grease. (tastes like great fried catfish) Release the smaller and the big ones and keep those in that 5-8 lb range for nice fillets and great table fare. I do agree that bow fishing can decimate the large Carp population in a lake as I've seen that happen with a combo of Bow and Spear fishing on one paritcular lake. That does make sense though if you think about it or why else would so many organizations here and especially overseas support catch and release. (it is the worlds most wide spread and popular ( by numbers of anglers) gamefish.)

Trashfisher likes this.