Carp rod advice...

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Chicotello, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Carp junkies,

I've been flip-flopping between my 5wt xp and an 8wt tfo ticr for carp the last couple of seasons. Most of the carping I do is out on lake roosevelt way back in the shallows and there's always a ton of structure. My dilemma is pretty obvious...I spook fewer fish and hook far more on the 5wt but I can't muscle the big bastards out of the weeds, grass, etc. unless without the backbone of the 8wt. Of course, with the saltwater type fast action of my 8wt it just doesn't have the finesse, especially at short distances and in the shallows, and I end up spooking fish.

So, I'm thinking a 6 or 7wt...something with a bit more muscle but with maybe a medium or medium fast action that will still cast soft at 15-20 feet. Any suggestions??

Thanks,
    Mitch

2. Wasss your budget?

3. Hey Millsy,

Good question...I'm thinking $200 or so...nothin' fancy, it is a carp rod after all...and, I'll probably want a new line maybe a reel too! :)

BTW...are you going to be at Sean's hooks & hops thing this wednesday?

Mitch

4. There is a Winston BiiX 9' 7wt in the classifides for a few extra bucks that would fit the bill perfectly. It'd also do double duty trouting as a great hopper dropper rod.

5. Chicotello,
    I was faced with a similar situation last year.I was using a Sage XI2 in a 8 wght. and a XP in a six weight.Good rods but wanted something in between.I picked up one of the new Echo Ion in a 7 weight.This medium-fast action rod was pretty good for a cross between having a little backbone but also the finesse.They run about $189.However I still prefer a more fast action rod so I'm looking for other options.If i find what i'm looking for in the near future I might want to move my Ion.

6. the problem is the length of the rod. i have the same dilemma on my carp waters. ive been using a fast 6wt 9 footer, overlined to help load the rod with short casts. heavy flouro p line. works pretty good. but i think the redington predator series rods (sage bass rods knockoff) are gonna be where its at. that shorter length will provide more muscle when they dive for the reeds, while still preserving your presentation. i'll be trying one out this summer.

7. For sure on Wednesday...I think I had the first ticket

Secondly, for that $200 bones level...there's always a ticx from TF...not the most sensitive deal by can move trucks with it's backbone

As FL gator says, keep your eyes on the classifieds here, something good always shows up.

As for me, my St Croix Legend Ultra does in an eight weight rocks on carp

8. Ross made a new rod, "Flystik" that is a tourney ready bass rod. Haven't fished it yet, but It might be worth checkin out.

9. Mitch
    I've been using a couple of glass rods built in the 70's. A 7' for a 5wt and 7 1/2 ft for a 6wt. Plenty of backbone and bulletproof. Cheap too.
    Jeff

10. glass and backbone are usually not two things i would put in the same sentence. what rod!?

11. How about the ticrx 7'6" 6wt or 8wt. Short plenty of backbone and if overlined should work great short

12. Slow doesn't mean wimpy. I suppose lifting power or toughness would be more in line with what I mean.
    The 7 footer is a custom build on an unsanded Scott 5wt blank and the 7 1/2 footer is a 6wt Berkley parametric. It seems like there are lots of short casts in my carp fishing and I like glass for the close game.
    JJ

13. that's exactly what I was going to suggest

14. Thanks guys...some great ideas here.

It's interesting, I did pick up one of the Sage Bass rods last year...the Smallmouth...and really thought it could end up being a kick ass carp rod. I caught a few carp on it and I still think it could be. BUT, at least imo, the 290gr line that they give you with the rod is not stealthy enough. I just switched back to my TFO 8wt for carp and just kept the sage lined up for bass...but this year I'm going to throw a regular 8wt line on and see if that works.

Jeff, love the shout out to glass...and I actually did experiment with an old fenwick 8wt glass rod two seasons ago for carp and sort of liked it. I have to agree with sean, backbone is something it doesn't have.

Mitch

http://wannabeflyfishingbum.blogspot.com/

15. ive caught 90% of my carp within 15' and a good lot of those just below the rod tip. but thats mostly green lake where the program is pretty unique and i think the bass rod would be the ticket. i do agree that included line isnt prone to stealth. on the wasteway i hooked a pig on a 70+ foot cast and i consider that one of my most epic moments in flyfishing. and an extremely lucky scenario.

i know the standard procedure is to fish floaters but have any of you experimented with full sink lines? i gave it a shot for a day last summer and when you make the right cast the line drops straight to the bottom without mr carp noticing. a bit stealthier than a bright green floater castin a shadow and creatin surface ruckus. it was only 1 day so i cant say whether or not it made much of a difference either way. but it helped sink my leader and it gave my bugs an interesting crawl along the bottom. food for thought...

16. I use a scott s3s 6 wt, 9'er , like Beauchamp, I overline it with a 7 wt...
    You can pick these up pretty cheap on the flea , if you bide your time...
    You would realy hamstring yourself with a 7 ish footer I would think for carp... The length in difference in the rods is only 1.5 ft , but the lack of ability to make a long cast will be huge with a 7.5 footer...
    To cast a 9'er short, just srtip in a little line, and by overlining one it will still load on a short shot...
    They may be just carp, but the ones Iv'e fished are usually harder to catch than most big trout. You'll want to throw long sometimes too.

17. Sounds like a TFO mini mag is what you need. The 6-8 wt throws a 7wt redfish taper well.

18. ross makes a rod called the flystick its a bass rod in weights 6-8 its a darn fine carp rod under 200. I mainly use my 7wt sage though i bought the flight for 220 and its been great.

19. Loomis shore stalker is a wicked rod. It is 8'6" and can cast short or long.

20. I'll second the glass idea. check ebay for an old Fenwick FF807 or FF857.

I actually fish those two rods for steelhead and they have plenty of backbone to turn solid fish. I haven't yet tried them for carp, but will be using those this spring & summer.