**** Carp

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Dustin Bise, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    Well i was out on cow creek today protecting the riparian zone and got to see the amazing amount of carp that can live in a 5 CFS stream. Many 2+ footers along the banks with there eyes pecked out.

This guy was prob 2.5 + feet and wieghed at least 10 lbs.

From now on, im a carp angler. I have not done much (any) carp fishing before but i hear they are a good challenge.

Big fish of E. Washington, you better watch out!

[​IMG]

2. There was a recent article in NW fly fishing regarding carp fishing, It made we want to give it a shot. Besides being ugly, they are supposed to be a hell of a fight.:confused:
    F.

3. PhlyPhisher

PhlyPhisher New Member

I read the article too. I wasn't impressed with the content. The magazine usually puts a picture of a few flies and their patterns with their articles. If I recall correctly, they only had one picture of a mass of flies tossed together and that picture wasn't very clear at all.
    However some people on this site in the past have recommended the following flies for catching Carp. Muddler Minnow, Wooly Worm, Wooly Bugger, Sculpin, Large Nymph and a few more I don't recall. Personally, I hate to eat Carp. I ate too many of them while living in Eastern Europe, (prior to the break up of the Soviet Union.) They're too bony and the locals cooked the hell out of them so that the meat was mushy. I would however like to catch some of them, because I too have heard that they're real fighters.
    Good Luck!

4. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Carp are fun. They can be tougher than bonefish in both fight and wariness. Presentation means more than fly selection when fishing for them. Sight fishing for carp is a great challenge for many skilled fly fishermen.

5. Ya, I know recall in the article it mentioned letting the fly sit and and then a quick movement to resemble a crawdad or something on the bottom. Where are carp, and are the fresh water only, I know nothing about them.
    F.

6. Dustin Bise

Media:
    Well, they were in Sprague lake and drainage but that is recently over. I know they also live in banks lake and surronding water. I belive they feed in shallow flats.

7. Dustin Bise

Media:
    Would they break a 5/6 wieght if i played them really gently and used a bigger real with lots of backing + heavy tippet?

8. Matt Paluch

Media:
    Home Page:
    Carp are all over the place. Moses Lake and much of the surrounding area is full of them. I was exploring spring creeks out here and found a lake that had big pods of carp all over the place. You can find them in the Snake, Columbia, Creeks, Lakes and ponds... Just know how to identify them and you should see that they are in almost every pond, lake, creek, river that you already fish. One of the most fun carp that I've caught was a HUGE fish out of the White river in Arkansas while fishing for trout with a streamer. Bigger carp are common in E. Wa.

9. according to the article, I'd bring a broom stick!:D
    F.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    i grew up in moses lake, and have caught my fair share of carp. an extremely large percentage of eastern washington lakes have carp. especially in the moses lake/potholes area.

11. Dustin Bise

Media:
    whats a broom stick? Im seriously considering the next pole i buy to be a carp pole.

12. Matt Paluch

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL, attach fly line to stick with broom at bottom.... Seriously though, I use Sage Xi2's and love them. These are fantastic rods for salt and carping. Winston and Thomas&Thomas make good sticks too, this is all at the top end of performance and price. If you are on a budget I would consider the Sage VT2 or a TFO or Echo.

13. Dustin Bise

Media:
    Awesome. Thanks. I prob cant afford anything till snow melts off the mountains though, ill be to busy trying to break every bone in my body :) Spring time comes, watch out ugly armor fish!

14. Josh Brower

Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

moses lake. if you can get out in a boat just run the shore about 40 feet out and watch for them. they are all over in there.

15. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
  16. eio

eio Large member

This is just my biased opinion from growing up in the East but..................we hated those damn things.

They were good for a fight when nothing else was biting, but other than that they are non-native destroyers of native fish habitat.

All the rooting those things do on the bottom destroys the beds of other fish and muddies up the water thus destroying the habitat in general.

Besides that they are really slimy and smell like death.

17. oilslick

oilslick New Member

Fishing whitfish lake, MT it common to pull in 10lb carp. Atleast thats what we've always called them. I've never identified them by any other picture I've seen online. They have a black back and a yellow/orange belly and are sliiiimy - yuck. But they are longer and more slender, with small scales (not like any other carp ive seen online) They always circle the bank in the evening. You can see them pass by the dock in groves - 2, 3, 4, 5 at a time. They dont fight too hard, but are fun to catch when there dont seem to be too many trout around. A good night would consist of 4-5 carp, one good 18" trout, and a couple pike on the line where I consider myself lucky if I can get them onto the dock without them stealing my lure.

18. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

Media:
    Frank, for a closer carp experience both Green Lake and Lake Samammish have large carp.

Scott

19. sharpshooter223

sharpshooter223 Member

come to the tri cities, we here HATE them with a firey passion except for the eastern europeans, i dont think the mexicans even want them. if you are serious about carp though, it might be more enjoyable to buy a catfish spinning setup and just use dough bait-more hookups. but they really do smell bad, i almost vomit at it, imagine a ton of wet garbage with alot of rotting bio matter with spoiled milk poured over it and left in the heat of summer for a month. thats almost close to how bad they smell. and please, if you catch a carp, do us a favor even if you dont want to eat it, DO NOT RELEASE IT BACK INTO THE WATER.

20. Dave Hartman

Dave Hartman is tired of trout

Media:
    Those are squawfish. Or "Northern Pike-Minnow" is what we're supposed to call them. . .
    I've never seen them as large as 10 pounds, though.