Carp

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Ghettoflyfisherman, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Ghettoflyfisherman New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was wondering if any one has tried to fly fish for carp in Washington and if so could that person give me some advice on were to go and what kind of fly patterns to use. I heard of massive populations of carp in Green lake, i was wondering if this is true. Also while on the subject of Green lake does anyone know when the Tiger Muskie will be large enough to make a worth while trip to Green lake. If any one has information on tiger muskies that would be helpful too. All of the information on either of these subjects is thanked for in advanced. Thanks Agian
    GHETTO
  2. fly15 New Member

Potholes resivor has tons of carp with some really big ones
    in it.As for flies i am not sure i no know they do fly fish for
    carp i would ask around like differnt fly shops and call
    mar don resort and ask them they are located right on potholes
    resivor.Good luck and let us know how you do. :THUMBSUP
  3. Vic_sea New Member

I hooked one on Green lake last year. I was improving my casting technique and he hit black marabou streamer. The muskie broke my tippet and maybe still live with streamer in his jaw
  4. callibaetis Guest

I've also looked into the carp thing. I recetly bought a book at Kaufmann's called Carp On The Fly. It is a very good book that makes FF for carp sound like a lot of fun. There are supposed to be many places in Central WA with carp. I've heard that Potholes, Moses, and Banks Lake are good spots. There are also tons of carp in Green lake but sight fishing for them would be very difficult at best. As far as the Tiger Muskies go WDFW planted only fifty of them, according to their press release. Thats a lot of lake to find 50 fish in.
    Good luck
  5. steve s Member

Issaquah, Washington
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    i've gone out for carp a few times and had some pretty good luck. they can be as spooky as trout, just as picky, and a whole lot bigger. for flies, i just used standard trout flies, nymphs and dries, up to size 12 for dries and to size 8 for nymphs. when sight fishing for them, i would just cast ahead let a large nymph sink and start a very slow retrieve. the takes will be subtle, but the fight can be vicious. i would say a size 8-12 weighted nymph, or if they are feeding on top, most anything could work, i've used pmds, bwos, caddis, etc. they have small mouths, so nothing too big. as far as spots to go, there are quite a few spots in eastern washington, moses lake is good as is potholes, and the shallows at banks lake. my best luck has been the fabled seceret spring creeks over there.
    good luck and let us know how you do.

steve s
  6. Gizler New Member

Seattle, Washington, USA.
    A really good place to catch carp on a fly is Banks lake. Just out side of Coulee City were the highway runs along the lake on the east side there is an old road bed submerged in the lake that offers tons of wadable water for fishing. For flies, just use a #8 or #10 curved nymph hook with black chenille wrapped the lenth of the hook with a grizzly hackle palmered over the chenille. also, In my experience the best bet is to sight fish for them way to fish for carp has been to sight fish (polarized glasses a must). When you spot a school of fish feed, pick one out and drop the fly right in front of him.
  7. cal257 New Member

I grew up on the Columbia River near Tri-Cities, and every summer we would go bow fishing for carp. I always noticed that they hung out under mulberry trees, black berry bushes and other fruit plants that hung over the river during high water. One day I saw some of these black berries drop into the water and just as soon as they hit the water about six or seven carp moved with amazing speed to get them. Then the next day we went out armed with our fly rods and a few "black berry" flies and had a blast. We caught carp until our arms were sore. It was very exciting because it was sight fishing, and they were very eager to take the flies. It was quite amazing to see these good size fish of 5-20lbs rush for the fly. What was even more amazing was the fact that as soon as your fly hit the water it was a competion to see which one would get it first. These blackberry flies seemed to work good all summer as long as there was high water. As soon as the water got low, however, they seemed to turn off of the fruit and onto little crustations. A molting crawfish pattern seemed to work quite well.

cal
  8. Ghettoflyfisherman New Member

WOW thanks for all of the information on the subject. I was interested in fishing for carp and tiger muskie, but now i am really excited and eager to go and try to catch a few! THANKS AGAIN! :THUMBSUP
  9. ray helaers New Member

The Blue Dun Fly Shop in Wenatchee actually guides for carp on Banks lake, out of "flats" style boats, a la bonefish or redfish, sight-fishing for carp in the shallows. Even if you're not in the market for a trip, they might be willling to give up a little info on hot spots and techniques.