carp?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by rockfish, Apr 27, 2004.

1. rockfish

rockfish Member

is there any lakes on the westside that have decent numbers of carp to fish for? need advise, please help

catch and release wild sculpins:beer2

2. Mike Wade

Mike Wade Member

There was a post here in just the last week about this.I remember Lake Washington but don't remember if any other lakes were mentioned.Click on search above to find it.

3. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Greenlake right in Seattle used to (3 years or so) ago. Real big ones too.

4. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

>Greenlake right in Seattle used to (3 years or so)
    >ago. Real big ones too.

Don't see to many now that they have those tiger muskies in there now eh? @ about three years, some of those boys are full strength... 30"+

5. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

What patterns and techniques could I use to target carp in Greenlake?
    And what about Tiger Muskie? can they targeted in Greenlake?

Cheers,

BooYah

6. Andy

Andy Workin in a sweet mullet

I did a "scouting mission" on Lake Tapps last weekend. I saw a bunch of carp starting to stack up in the mud flats out by Snag and Tapps Islands.

Dreamchaser (is a carp catching machine, look at his pics) uses a cool-looking wooley worm with grizzly hackle. I dont think it matters too much as long as its buggy looking.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Aren't the Carp in Green Lake Grass Carp and if they are they are off limits. According to the regs anyway.

Jim

8. TomB

TomB Active Member

there are grass carp in there, but there used to be ALOT of golden bonefish of the north.

9. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Yea, those Tiger Muskie probably didn't help the carp out too much.

10. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Cant add to the answers but I do notice Jim seems to know almost every rule in the reg book...props to Jim for studying and memorizing the entire reg book :thumb

How do you remember all these rules??? I cant even remember my own name sometimes :dunno

~Patrick ><>

Remember who created the fish!

11. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Yes, there are two (maybe more?) types of Carp in greenlake. The grass eating ones they like because, well, they eat grass. But I saw the other type (not sure what kind it is) being carried away by the bushel load during my high school years (up until a few years ago).

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I can understand you not being able to remember your own name as I have trouble with it also:beathead. The reason of knowing the regs is that I have a copy by the computer and when somebody states a rule I usually look it up. Not always to comment on it but to learn something new in them. Besides most of the rules in that little book stay the same and they just add a few new ones each year. So if you know the basics it all is the same with a few new twists.

There is nothing hard in them and they are easy to understand and I don't see what the problem is in understanding them. You either can or you can't. Can't be anymore simpler than that.

Jim

13. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Carp 101:

Greeenlake has common carp( cyprinus carpio) and grass carp ( ctenophryngodon idella). The common carp are fully scalled with a few of the mirror type. The carp are large (8-15 pounds) way too big for a muskie to choke down.

Anglers are encouraged to catch and keep the common carp. The grass carp are in there for weed control and must be released if caught. Grass carp are notoriously hard to hook on any type of gear...

Problem is access. these green lake carp are fond of deeper water near the trail...which puts your backcast in the stream of roller bladers dog walkers runners etc...a float tube might help get you to the fish but you need a good angle to sight cast to carp if you want to succeed. Also Ive had good success with tailing fish in shallow water ( 3ft) but greenlake carp don't seem to tail in the shallows very often ( no food)

other potential westside carp locations:

Lake Tapps (mud flats?)
    Lake Sammamish ( near issaquah creek outlet)
    Lake Washington ( boat docks?)

Check out the carp article on this site for more info ...or "Carp on the fly" by Brad Befus

:professor

14. clockwork

clockwork New Member

most of the "city" lakes have them and the one im most familiar with is lake washington, i have seen lots of really big carp over by boeing, mostly basking. not your classic situation, as the lake lacks the flats we all like so much but they are there in force in summer. there are some really big ones in there.

15. Salmon Candy

Salmon Candy Member

I second what Piscean has written about the Green Lake carp. They are big and tough to catch on the fly. I have hooked them on a small black woolly bugger fishing towards shore from a float tube. Try the areas both north and south of Duck Island. Two other patterns are the carp woolly (woolly worm with the hackle reversed so that the concave side is towards the eye) and a #14 rubber-legged hare's ear. Still, you'll probably catch more trout than anything.

As for the tigers, think very big, black divers with a wire shock tippet. Sparse had a tiger bite through a 40 pound mono shock tippet two years ago on Green Lake.