Carrying firearms while fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steve Vaughn, Nov 4, 2010.

1. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +460 / 0
    I too fish for bears. I've had great results using a wounded deer pattern on a sink tip. Cast across and downstream and try and vary the retrieve. This will mimmick an animal struggling in the river.
    Tight lines.
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,396 / 0
    I could get smacked in the head over this but here goes. How does one fish for Bears. Is there a special fly one uses.

On another note. Here in Montana, I have talked to several people that carry and use Bear Spray. They have told me that it works. But if a bear is determined, how well does it really work. Where I ride my Quad, I sometimes get the willies when I'm up in the mountains and the woods. And I wonder if I shouldn't be carrying a fire arm.

Lots of unanswered questions in my head.
  3. joellirot Member

vancouver,bc
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Ya'll beat me to it. I was wondering what kind of equipment is needed for fishing for bears. Will my 10wt suffice or do I need a large spey rod?
  4. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +750 / 0
    I was waiting for the "fish for bears" responses:rofl: Washington permits open carry with a few exceptions-which you definitely DO need to learn-it's not complicated though. However, if you're carrying under your waders, you'll need a concealed permit. I frequently carry, but find that the big Sig .40 tends to pull the belt it's attached to, and hence the pants-toward the shoes!! I get tired of hitching my pants up all the time. The little Walther P-22 is much lighter, but the accuracy just isn't there like the Sig.
  5. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Snohomish, WA
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    How's that Hawken flintlock fit under your waders Alex?
  6. slupot New Member

Sky Valley, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I carry a XD .45 concealed mostly to scare away bears (habit from Alaska) or to scare away tweakers if need be in Sky valley. Only open carry when I am way off the beaten path so I don't scare tourists.
  7. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Get a firearm and learn to use it, join NRA.
    Keep America Free
  8. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    I don't just because I cant think of any situation around here where i would need one. In WA, close encounters with dangerous wildlife are rare, and encountering one that is aggressive enough to attack is 10x as rare. As for other humans, yes there are some sketchy folks out there, however in the unlikely event that I have to defend myself, i have 2 arms and 2 legs that function just fine.

I hear stories of fishermen pulling guns on other fishermen (I know someone this happened to), but have yet to hear a success story of a fisherman using a firearm to defend themselves from attack. I understand why others carry, just not my thing. Your decision will come down to your level of personal comfort.
  9. Zane Wyll Member

anacortes, WA.
    Can't beat the Springfield Armory and a light 14 round 45 for any situation
  10. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,525 / 0
    Read number 8.

RCW 9.41.060
    Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(1) Marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens or their deputies, or other law enforcement officers of this state or another state;

(2) Members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves, when on duty;

(3) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed pistol;

(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(5) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive pistols from the United States or from this state;

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

(10) Law enforcement officers retired for service or physical disabilities, except for those law enforcement officers retired because of mental or stress-related disabilities. This subsection applies only to a retired officer who has: (a) Obtained documentation from a law enforcement agency within Washington state from which he or she retired that is signed by the agency's chief law enforcement officer and that states that the retired officer was retired for service or physical disability; and (b) not been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of a crime making him or her ineligible for a concealed pistol license.
  11. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +215 / 0
    Kerry, this is not talking about carrying concealed...this is talking about carrying a firearm; period.

If you conceal under your waders and don't have a permit you are breaking the law.
  12. stewart dee Guest

Rare I carry, the piece just gets wet anyway. I would rather run into a tweaker and hand out an ass beating.
  13. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,525 / 0
    Read both RCWs. The first (9.41.0.50) deals with carrying a concealed firearm. The second (9.41.060) are exceptions to the first.

Carrying firearms.
    (1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

[2003 c 53 § 28; 1997 c 200 § 1; 1996 c 295 § 4; 1994 sp.s. c 7 § 405; 1982 1st ex.s. c 47 § 3; 1961 c 124 § 4; 1935 c 172 § 5; RRS § 2516-5.]

Notes:

Intent -- Effective date -- 2003 c 53: See notes following RCW 2.48.180.

Finding -- Intent -- Severability -- 1994 sp.s. c 7: See notes following RCW 43.70.540.

Effective date -- 1994 sp.s. c 7 §§ 401-410, 413-416, 418-437, and 439-460: See note following RCW 9.41.010.

Severability -- 1982 1st ex.s. c 47: See note following RCW 9.41.190.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
    The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(1) Marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens or their deputies, or other law enforcement officers of this state or another state;

(2) Members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves, when on duty;

(3) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed pistol;

(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(5) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive pistols from the United States or from this state;

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

(10) Law enforcement officers retired for service or physical disabilities, except for those law enforcement officers retired because of mental or stress-related disabilities. This subsection applies only to a retired officer who has: (a) Obtained documentation from a law enforcement agency within Washington state from which he or she retired that is signed by the agency's chief law enforcement officer and that states that the retired officer was retired for service or physical disability; and (b) not been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of a crime making him or her ineligible for a concealed pistol license.

[2005 c 453 § 3; 1998 c 253 § 2; 1996 c 295 § 5; 1995 c 392 § 1; 1994 sp.s. c 7 § 406; 1961 c 124 § 5; 1935 c 172 § 6; RRS § 2516-6.]

Notes:

Severability -- 2005 c 453: See note following RCW 9.41.040.

Finding -- Intent -- Severability -- 1994 sp.s. c 7: See notes following RCW 43.70.540.

Effective date -- 1994 sp.s. c 7 §§ 401-410, 413-416, 418-437, and 439-460: See note following RCW 9.41.010.
  14. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +215 / 0
    Upon further review, by God, I think you're right Kerry.

I sent this to a buddy of mine (Lt. of a PD) for his take...stand by for his interpretation.

ETA:
    Yep, he said that's how it reads. Good eye Kerry!
  15. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    hmm maybe its time to get a gun.
  16. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    They will get you on open carry if they want to. I have a good friend that is in a bit of trouble because some cops saw his gun, didnt like it, told him to cover it up, but he said he had the right to wear it in the open. He was doing nothing wrong, just waiting for a friend in a parking lot. He didnt even know the police were around.... And had he not had a CWP and put his jacket over it, they could of gotten him on that... But right now, he is looking at five days in lock up, and some community service time....
    He has that done easily, he is a snowboard instructor with the Special Olympics in Cheney, WA, but he is not looking forward to the five days in County... Right now his new attorney is building a case for an appeal.
  17. stewart dee Guest

What the hell are going to do if you pull the friggin thing? Shot someone? I doubt that. Go to jail forever - good chance. Besides do you know the rules and procedure if you pull a gun on someone? Better have a good reason - back them down and BE THE FIRST TO CALL THE POLICE, You need to be out numbered or out sized, then you need to decide to follow the rules and aim for a place to stop without a kill (that means jail and a lawsuit) . You are far better off just to use your pimp hand and slap a bitch.
  18. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +59 / 1
    To answer one of the original questions: I would look into a small stainless revolver. They are reliable and can be had relatively inexpensively. The cheap ones won't have as nice a trigger or fit/finish compared to the ones that cost 2x or 3x as much, but they are pretty darn reliable for the money. They're also about as simple as it gets to operate. Personally I would get a .357 mag. You can practice with .38s, and you can get a huge range of 38+p or .357 for serious work. Heavy solids or hardcasts would offer considerable penetration in the case of a bear or cougar. Any number of hollowpoints are available for other situations. If you want to spend some money you can get them in "titaniam" or "airweight" or whatever marketing term they come up with. They're considerably(!!!!) lighter in some cases. That makes them a lot less fun to shoot (which unfortunately can discourage practice), but a lot more enjoyable to carry.
  19. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +480 / 0
    1) Very common with me.
    2) Same reasons for carrying anywhere else where you are legal to do so . . . protection from serious threat (at 62, my "bitch slap" has lost some effectiveness & running is no longer a viable option).
    3) I'd look for something in stainless or alloy, .38 or larger; something you can shoot; practice to gain proficiency; learn the laws & obtain a CWP & training. My personal preference is a stainless 1911 unless weight is a factor, then I go to an alloy revolver in .357. Unfortunately, dire events aren't planned by the intended victims . . . no more than flat tires, fires, or injuries are but I also carry a jack & spare; have fire extinguishers & insurance; carry first aid kits & have more insurance. Where bear encounters were a concern, my choice was a short-barreled 12-gauge loaded with slugs; a .45/70 lever gun would be another sound option. And as Gary said, "Join the NRA."
  20. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I'm a hunter and gun owner but I never carry a weapon when I'm fly fishing. Once I was challenged by a gear fisherman but he had a little too much and was jealous because I was catching fish and he wasn't. But I never carry a firearm while fishing. I would in Alaska where the Brown Bears roam.