Cascade creeks, where to start?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by WA-Fly, Jun 20, 2013.

1. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

Media:
    I have seen some videos and many pictures and reports on small streams in the cascades, I would love to fish some of those creeks. If any one would like to help me out, or point me in the right direction just pm me. Thanks

2. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    This isn't rocket science. Just get a map, find squiggly blue lines (preferably above a barrier to avoid harassing juvenile or spawning anadromous fish), drive there and fish.

There's usually a direct relationship between the quality of the fishing and the amount of effort required to get there. In other words, if you can see good-looking water from the road with enough room for 2-3 cars to pull off and a well-worn trail down to the stream, it's likely the fishing will be non-existent.

K

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  3. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

Media:
    I'm just worried about fishing closed waters some times its hard to understand the reg's.

4. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

You are a smart guy. I know, because you've learned how to use the internet and post on this forum.
    The reg's are not necessarily the clearest piece of literature to come down the pike. But all the rules are in there and after reading it and studying them a little I'm confident you'll be able to figure them out.

Then, once you are certain what's open just go explore, like Kent suggested. That's the fun part!

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

Media:
    I found a small stream and some tributaries that I can explore and fish legally, thanks for the tips. It took some careful reading and good maps.

6. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    I am not sure where you live but a really good book to start with is Washington's Central Cascades Fishing Guide by Dave Shorett. He also has one on the Rainer area as well as the OP. There are more lakes than creeks in the book but most of the lakes have an inlet/outlet stream. You could spend many years just exploring the ones just in this book. Have fun!

Brookie_Hunter and Just.Mark like this.
  7. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

But just to confuse you more, be careful to read the regs about inlet and outlet streams. Some that feed lakes are closed (even if the lakes are open) because these streams represent the only spawning/rearing habitat for the lakes. In general if all you are catching are clearly juvenile fish, just leave them be.

As mentioned, the Washington's Central Cascades Fishing Guide is a great reference.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I honestly don't understand why people get so confused about the regulations. Sure, they are written a bit weird, but they aren't that hard to understand.

As for fishing Cascade creeks, Kent hit in on the head. Find a blue line, find its name, find it in the regs. If it's open, go and fish it. You will more than likely catch some small fish, and maybe even some big ones.

9. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I find them hard to understand because a lot of the boundaries are geographic features that are often difficult to locate on a map. At least on Google Maps.

10. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Finding good small stream fishing takes work but is much more rewarding if you do the work yourself then if someone walk you to the water and points out the rock to stand on. IMHO.
    As others said, get a map, copy of the regs and get out there.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  11. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    You can find the geographic features on topo maps at mytopo.com

Anywhere above the falls on the snoqualmie is open year-round for catch and release. Clear and simple. That will give you approximately 90 river miles without even counting tributaries to the forks. If you fished 1 mile per day, every day that the river is in shape for the year, you still wouldn't be able to cover all the water in the system. Good Luck.

12. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    Thanks Gary, I'll check that site out. I'm also hoping to do some exploring this summer.

13. travisbrown73

travisbrown73 New Member

I can tell you that East Woods Creek north of Monroe is a bust.
    I am a semi-noob and Tuesday, I went looking for little blue lines on the map that showed up in the Regs (to know they are open) near to home in Everett, and found that the only place you could get to that piece of water is from the road-bridges that cross it. 6' tall grass, right to the water, and salmon/blackberries mixed in for good measure. Totally unworkable.
    As a side, I found Storm and Flowing lake and lots of locals fishing those waters out of little boats. That looks like fun, too....just a different kind of fun. It's fun getting out, even if the pole didn't get raised. :)

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What area do you want to throw flies around in. Having someplace to go in General is a lot better than asking for someplace to go like you asked. North, South, East, or West. Narrow it down some and you could get some help.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Lots of access on woods Creek. You need to drive those roads that show up on your maps. It's brushy but you are young so busting through brush should be no problem. Just be careful where you step or you could be up to your neck in a pool

16. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

Media:
    I fished woods creek over the weekend and caught a few cutts on dries. I have a friend who owns land on the creek. I just think it would be more fun to hike in some where.

17. Randru

Randru Member

Media:
    Not to hijack the thread, however there are a lot of blue squiggly lines that seem to be bordered by privet land. Short of going door to door in any given area trying to find who owns the property to get permission how does one figure out who own the land on either side of a stream. Do you guys primarily fish in BLM/WDFW/DNR etc. land where access is somewhat predictable or is there a way to find who owns the land around so that they can be contacted for permission.

18. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/services/gis/maps/county/mpl/mplco.htm

This is a good starting point. Honestly, if you're trying to find an access point to one of these rivers, the landowners will let you know where their property is. On a lot of these Cascades creeks, it's going to be NF land everywhere, except where it is private. And even if there is property abutting the river, it's public land up to the median high water mark (in "navigable" waters). So the solution is generally to find public access to the stream and wade up and down as long as you're within the median high water mark (which gives quite a bit of elbow room in mid to late summer).

anti.team likes this.
  19. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Pick a specific river/creek/stream, let's for argument pick the Sauk River. Check the rules for the Sauk and various tributaries and that will give you a starting spot for exploration. If you don't like the Sauk as a name, pick the Skykomish and start from there.

20. gldntrt20

gldntrt20 New Member

If you find it yourself, it is a better chance of keeping it that way. The more that know about a place, the more chances the experience disappears.

Dehlan G likes this.