Case Inlet First Chum Sighting

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Go Fish, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Jim Riggins Member

Battle Ground, Wa.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Chum's---Ed are you planning the epic trip now, let me know. Do I need a green card to fish up north coming from SW Wa.? Give me some lead time, I'm picking up Bob as well. JR
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    I cannot speak of that which I do not know. Not sure I've ever read "chum" and "epic" in the same sentence before, but I like those ugly monsters. Run timing is always important, but it seems that weather, and potentially dozens more variables that I'm not bright enough to know about, may have altered the expected or traditional run times on lots of fish. I'll try to make a scouting trip or two.
  3. Blktailhunter Active Member

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Checked out Chico yesterday. There are a few showing in the bay. Very few. Didn't see any that would have been fishable from shore. Maybe in a couple more weeks.
  4. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    1500 chums caught in a test seine near kingston
    gig harbor boats fish monday
    hope there are some left for us
  5. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    rotato,
    Do you have a link to that info?
    Thanks,
    SF
  6. Blktailhunter Active Member

Bainbridge Island, WA
    I saw them netting two days ago south of Jeffs head and on the east side of BI. One was pulling his nets off of Yeomalt Point and it sure held a lot of fish. There is little wonder why I drew a blank. I was sooo pissed. Between the Indian nets and the commercial seiners there are no fish left for anyone else. I'm burning over this...
  7. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Stonefish
    the info i got was from the fisherman that performed the test seine
    he docks his boat next to the one i am working on
    there is a wide body delta already anchored on the grounds
    they are jonesing hard in the harbor
    west pass madness come monday
  8. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Got it...Thanks!
  9. rockfish Member

Manchester, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Mostly chums at curly right now, hardly any silvers this year. Chums run in case inlet during mid to late october
  10. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    If they are running in Case Inlet it ain't happening yet.
    Saw two fish jump all weekend....more cutties out there
    than chums at this point.

Dave
  11. Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

puget sound
    Purseiners are out pretty thick in Colvos pass right down from the house today waiting for their big day 2morrow. Along with tribal gillnetters already out in full force doesn't make for a very healthy strain on these small local crick fish. Ventured to chase chums with the gf and 4 landed between the two of us in an hour and a halfs worth of fishing. Figured enjoy them now as they wont be there in the same numbers come wed.
  12. bcrist New Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Out yesterday afternoon throughout a good part of Case Inlet and West down Pickering Pass. Saw a lot of moving Chum along the shorelines. Not too many in the estuaries yet, though they are showing now near Allyn. At least 10 different purseiner outfits. A beautiful day to be on the water. Fly fishing for Chum should pick up in the next week or two.
  13. fozzybeardude Jon Roberts

Bothell
    Not anywhere near Case Inlet but out near the Sultan River on the Sky I saw some plunkers land 2 Chum today. Was out for a few hours and saw plenty of silvers jumping and just as many Chum rising and tail slapping. I got a nice 12" cutty in hand as a bonus and turned him loose to be caught again someday.
  14. Sonny New Member

Gig Harbor
    I fished case inlet last weekend. Definitely chum. Not real hard to tell the difference. They were not in great numbers yet but several schools of 20-25 fish each were sighted. We landed one that was already looking old.
  15. fozzybeardude Jon Roberts

Bothell
    This is in response to my own post just above:

Just realized yesterday that the regs state Coho Only in the rivers.... Are Chum only open on certain years in the freshwater or is this just a poor return year? I was gearing up to go back this weekend and see if I could hook into one of those monster but I checked the book only to find pure disapointment.
  16. Blktailhunter Active Member

Bainbridge Island, WA
    "WDFW must not act cursorily in considering the facts and circumstances surrounding its actions. The defined management objectives do not provide a rational explanation for the disparity in harvest allocation, nor does the concise explanatory statement. Harvest opportunity is not fairly allocated by providing gear groups a share of time on the water unless relative fishing efficiency is taken into consideration. The numbers reflect the current inequality: in 2006 and 2007, gillnetters caught an average of 725 chum salmon per hour of fishing time and purse seiners caught an average of 4,893 chum salmon per hour. WDFW provided no rational basis for the disparity that resulted from its adopted schedule for areas 10 and 11. Accordingly, we hold that WDFW acted arbitrarily and capriciously in adopting the 2008 schedule."

http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?xmldoc=in%20waco%2020100928b44.xml&docbase=cslwar3-2007-curr

And people wonder why the "S" rivers are being closed due to low chum returns.
  17. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    There's a fight where I'm cheering for both sides to lose......
  18. Milt Roe Member

Taco Ma
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I guess we've reached the end of the road - Fighting over the last chum.
  19. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Nah, we've got one more fight...over the last slimy scaleless pink next summer/fall.
  20. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    Fresh whole "Keta" salmon has shown up in our local QFC stores!
    :beathead:

Edit:

According to Google translator, "Keta" is Indonesian for "fear."

They get this name from regular occurrences of things such as this:
    [IMG]
    "OH SHIT! I'M GONNA GET MY MOLDY ASS SMASHED IN TO THE PAVEMENT!"