Cassard 2/0 with tying process photos...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Apr 21, 2013.

1. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

Media:
    Cassard Lake fly from Mary Orvis Marbury

For anyone who hasnt tied whole woodduck feather wings, dont try it on a hook this big. The stems are flat, and when tying them on tend to twist so they lie flat on the top of the shank - it took some choice language and a bit of ingenuity to get them finally to sit like i wanted them.

Anways, a lesson in patience and mastery of the wings, if nothing else.

Heres some photos of the process, as well as the finished article at the end.

Thanks for looking

Eunan

Tag tied in on underside
    [​IMG]

Tag wrapped and thread (70 denier) underbody started - i go up and down several times with the thread through the process of tying the fly (same on salmon flies. After each layer is put down, i burnish the thread wraps to make them smooth
    [​IMG]

Crest tied in - you dont see it so well on the final fly as there is more yellow to come from goose slips on top of the crest
    [​IMG]

Married, yellow, red and green goose and woodie for the second tail
    [​IMG]

butts tied down to a taper at the head of the fly
    [​IMG]

Black chenille butt, rib and hackle tied in on the underside of the hook
    [​IMG]

To even out the underbody, and make it smooth for the floss, i did a couple layers of uni-stretch and burnished them
    [​IMG]

Floss body wrapped, by hand, no bobbins here.
    [​IMG]

Hackle, rib wrapped, and wing finally tied in. Took about 6 efforts to get this done
    [​IMG]

Forgot to take pictuers of the married goose shoulders and topping going on, as well as the hackle and herl head, so this is the finished fly, in all its flawed glory

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

That's a heck of a lot of steps and more than I'd use for a fishing fly but it sure looks nice.

S Fontinalis likes this.
  3. S Fontinalis

Media:
    not a fishing fly - just a fly for fun. To be honest. i rarely fish, and if i do, its with nymphs and a 3wt....

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Please don't tell me you plan to toss it in a plastic box like socks in a drawer :)

5. S Fontinalis

Media:
    most likely i'll strip the wing and retie it.

6. S Fontinalis

Media:
    or if you want it, pm me your address and i'll send it to ya

7. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

different game

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Well, hell yes!

9. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Man you're killin' me.

10. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Nice one Eunan!!!! Gotta love the tail. Keep em coming......

Mark

11. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    It amazes me how many tiers out there don't do a lot of fishing. Some of the best tiers I've run across do it for the love of tying, and little to do with a love of fishing. That's such a foreign concept to me that I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it. I'm enjoying tying now more than I ever have, and I feel I have made big strides in my efforts over this past year, but tying is and always will be an ends to a mean for me. I am envious of those who have a creative, artistic side and tie just for that. Folks like that seem much more willing to do things like strip a wing, and retie it. =o) Myself, if it looks like a fish will eat it, that's just gonna have to do.

Beautiful fly! Thanks for the great pictures. I always enjoy seeing how you guys tie those beautiful patterns.

12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Tying the Atlantic Salmon fly style patterns is, in many ways, an art form. And as with most artists, the reward is in the creation of art.

So it really doesn't surprise me that many who tie the beautiful flies don't use them. It really is a shame to toss them in a river... the art form is never the same again.

I enjoy tying a wide range of patterns for a wide range of fish but none of the patterns do I consider a piece of art nor have that in mind when I create the sucker -- it's supposed to catch fish. If fly anglers like the looks of it too... that's fine but I'm most interested in a fan club of fish for the fly.

Each to their own. I enjoy the art of beautifully tied patterns and have the utmost respect and admiration for those who tie them. They are indeed artists.

Jeff Dodd likes this.