Cast and Blast Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by MacRowdy, Nov 24, 2002.

1. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well boys and girls. 5 days of duck/pheasant hunting and flyfishing.

Spur of the moment drove down to Utah last sunday night with a friend. Hunted on some private mud flats north of the Salt Lake City Airport.

Wednesday we hunted in the morning and drove out to the Provo River in the afternoon. Just fished for a couple of hours. I hooked and landed 3. Sow bugs and crack back WD40 type emergers. My friend got sick so we had to leave early. The weeds were so thick and the water so low that it was pretty much a joke. I saw at least 10 other fishermen but didn't even see a single other fish hooked. I did get a good laugh at these two guys who must have been fishing with way too much weight because on each cast they snagged up momentarily and ranted and raved about how big a fish they must have had on.

It was my first time duck hunting and boy do those little suckers fly fast. I shot 9 and my friend shot 5. Plucked the good feathers and skinned out the most beautiful cinnamon teal. We pretty much had to do the mud death march because the boat motor was getting fixed. As you can imagine our Irish Setter named Gina got quite the work out. She's turning out to be a pretty good old bird dog.

Saturday morning hunted pheasant just outside of Pasco near Wallula. Flushed one hen and saw two cocks flush from other hunters. You would not believe the flocks of Canadians that were showing up. Spectacular.

Hit the Ford Saturday afternoon for a couple of hours. I hooked 3 landed just 1. I would have to say that the Ford is looking prime, (water level/weeds etc...). Most of the guys I ran into, however, got skunked, that's not surprising for a windy day like Saturday. I couldn't see a thing because of the wind. Hard to cast and hard to see. Not very encouraging for a "sight fishing" bonanza like Rocky Ford.

Just thought I would post a little report for ya'll.

MacRowdy
    :THUMBSUP

2. Tom Merrill

Tom Merrill Member

Nice report. Thanks!

Mac, did you try the south fork of the Provo? It's worth the stop next time.

- Tom

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    And we'all appreciate it. Sasha and I did not fare so well Saturday looking for the elusive forest grouse. She does well in the field for having no training.

On the way home we drove along the NF of the Stilly. Lot's of fish jumping, I knew I should have brought the rod...damn!

Roper,

Vincit Omina Veritas

4. MacRowdy

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah Roper,

I tell ya. I thought I was on a "snipe hunt" saturday out in pasco. Gina worked hard but the weather was terrible and those birds were buried in the brush.

MacRowdy

5. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I want to find some huns because the fly shops are asking about $23 per skin.

6. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    $23 a skin?? Dear lord, I should have skinned out the huns I put a massive killing down on a couple weeks ago!! I don't tie and haven't had anyone ask me for huns.. ohh well!

7. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Sounds like a business opportunity...

8. MacRowdy

Media:
    Home Page:
    Drtomfish,

I fished below Deer Creek at the Gomez hole. Never fished the south fork. I'll have to try it sometime.

MacRowdy :THUMBSUP