Cast and Swing...no mending?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by freestoneangler, Jan 10, 2010.

1. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Reading this just brings out the religion in all of us. Personally I think that too many people actually don't cast with enough angle (or more accurately don't think of the required casting angle for their swing) I will agree that lots of folks who do cast often cast outside of the likely place a steelhead would live, but that's a separate issue entirely.

Also ,iit's kind of funny you mention the 90 degree thing in relation to the Cowlitz. I find there are several runs where 90 degrees is the preferred casting angle to not mend at all, and in some of the water that's deeper and slower where an upstream with no mend is the best way of presentation for me.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Geez guys. After reading all of this shit it made me think. I did Spey fish for a while but I didn't like it so I gave it up. But when ever I fished streamers I did the across cast and let the current swing the fly. I never mended either with a single hander or the Spey rod. But I do when I nymph. I try to keep the flies in the zone and out of the back eddies.

Jim

3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Speaking of the Cowlitz, I have a friend who is also new to spey fishing and we're thinking about floating the Cowlitz as a "cuttin our teeth" trip. I've floated BC to Massey's Bar tons of times when we use to terminal tackle fish....but it's been awhile. Would you recommend this section or another for better spey water?
    Thanks

4. Don Davis

Don Davis Formerly FlyCatcherman, formerly Don_The_Fly

To mend or not to mend, that is the question.
    what I learned is that the water moves faster at the surface than underneath. What you are trying to do is keep the line from accelerating past your fly or dragging it up. Also what are the surface currents doing? If your line is going from soft current to faster current, you'll probably need to mend at least once. If you quarter cast down stream and the line is behind your fly, then rarely is a mends necessary. Once the line is at the end of the swing the fly will drift up more slowly, retrieve your line and cast again. Casting at 90 degrees (straight out or upstream) the line will accelerate past your fly and start to yank it off the bottom. It is easier to see the effects by putting a strike indicator on just to see where your line is in relationship to where you saw your fly land. Knowing that the fly on the bottom is going to move more slowly than the line on the surface, you would mend to keep the line above the fly and let the fly drift. once you have the sense of where your fly is, remove the indicator and keep watch on the line. Where you cast and what the current is doing really is going to dictate whether you need to mend or not. I'm just sayin.....

5. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

PM me with your digits or email so we can talk... :)

6. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

sure. If I make a cast and the leader doesn't land straight or it doesn't look nice to me, a pull to straighten things out makes that right real easily. Depending on currents, the river might even do that for you, though so I don't make a habit of the "pull mend" either.

7. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

It's very difficult to talk about all this without being snared by generalities. That's why I keep adding the qualifier "depends on the water". I can think of several spots on the Kow like you describe too. They could be some of the few spots where'd I'd be using mends.
    There's a lot of variables in rivers and conditions, lots of different tackle preferences, and everyone has their own level and style of casting.

As it is for me now, I simply don't need to mend very often.

8. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

If it feels this good to be wrong then who wants to be right??? :)

9. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

:clown:
    Man you guys are getting way too analytical and complicated here.:ray1:
    If it's about the fly, you just do what you have to do to make the fly swing/swim like you want it to. Just do your best to see what it's doing and if it's not what you want, do what you need to do to make it so. Some will want the fly to swim differently in the same circumstance than others. It would take pages of threads to describe every situation. As Spaz says "depends on the water"