Cast, blast, beer...

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Our fall cast and blast this year was hampered by wind and rain...lots of it. When I arrived last Wednesday it was partly cloudy, big on the cloudy part, like in big grey clouds above the house. This was not a good omen. Steve showed up shortly after I arrived as I was trimming the lawn back to look somewhat presentable for company. We decided to hang loose that afternoon and evening and wait for Scott to show up Thursday morning. We caught up on what was new and kicked back for the night.

When Scott showed up we decided we would try Summit Lake. Bob Jateff had said that there were triploid tiger trout planted there. Planted just where would turn out to be the mystery. Summit isn't very large, where could they possibly hide? But hide they did...we never found a single fish. Thank goodness the weather was decent and we got to enjoy the scenery. Here's few photos...

[​IMG]

The lake is dark with tannin and the lily pads have lost their blooms long ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes it's good to just meditate and breathe it all in.

[​IMG]

After we tired of trying we hunted the area for grouse..they were as elusive as the tiger trout.

The next day we headed for Lost Lake. I know, which Lost Lake? This one is north of Bonaparte in the Okanogan highlands. It's one of my favorite lakes and holds brook trout, my favorite fish. We noticed the temps were in the mid 30's as we approached the lake...and it was windy too...not good. As we set up I couldn't find my fingerless gloves which, given the weather, sent me off cussing my feeble mind for not being able to find them. Where the hell did I leave them...?

That little tantrum must have put some bad mojo on me as I didn't touch a fish as I moved around the east side of the lake. I usually can't keep them off the fly...damn!

I caught up with Steve and Scott at the south end and they were taking fish right and left. I finally settled in and started to catch some, albeit small ones. It rained and blew off and one and in general beat us up pretty good. Somewhere around 1:00 we decided a beer indoors sounded good.

A few snap shots...

Hmmmm, what do we have in here...?

[​IMG]

By golly, it's a brookie...

[​IMG]

Enough wind and rain, let's hit the tavern...

[​IMG]

Now that's much better, a crisp Alpine Tamarac Pilsner. Scott thought the pitcher was just for him.

[​IMG]

The three amigo's warming up and chillin' out. Where's the off switch for that bright blue thing...?

[​IMG]

Where are we...?

[​IMG]

That afternoon we hit the woods above the house for some grouse action...not much but some. Sasha did bust a small bird that seemed like it might have been this years brood. I snapped the RBL on it but when I hit the trigger, nada...the safety was on. We pushed on and on the return Sasha put up another bird, we thought it might have been the same bird. I'm sure the weather has them hunkered down and conserving energy.

Our last venture was to Aeneas on Saturday. Finally we got into some good sized feisty fish. The secret of the day was to "power troll". Cast your line out and row quickly. They would hit the fly like crazy. We all picked up quite a few fish, again in the rain. The temps at the lake were a lot warmer than Lost. Some of the larger/older fish had large splotches of parasites on them. The smaller/younger fish had none.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we decided we had enough we packed up and headed back to Oroville. We made a stop at the Pastime Bar and Grill for a beer or two. Stacey the bar maid poured us several tastes of what they had on tap. My favorite turned out to be Irish Death...strange name but very tasty. After another pint and some fries we headed up the the house for a nap. Saturday night we had the big BBQ with lamb chops, steak, chicken, tater salad, chili, and a cold one or two. Topped off with some port and we were fat and sassy. It stormed really heavy most of the night making sleep and on and off affair. In the morning we packed and headed out to find the sun finally breaking in the distance. The ride home was some of the best weather until I hit the pass. Home once again with great memories of laughter and good time...awaiting my next visit.

[​IMG]

2. In spite of the weather, it was a good trip and a great time catching up with some good freinds. Rather than Cast & Blast, this would be better titled "Cuss & Bust". Roper not only didn't have gloves but also lacked a rain jacket at one lake....

It was fun to watch Sasha trying to flush up some birds, only managed one but it we certainly wouldn't have found it without her.

On to the next adventure.

MB

3. Roper... Now that is what I call a first class report! A great read that wasn't at all dependent on the catching/bagging. In fact, I think it made it all the more interesting!:) Thanks for the time you invested in sharing!

Hope to meet-up with you guys again sometime soon. Salmon fever is beginning to subside now.

Upton O likes this.
  4. Now that boys is how its done.

5. It was a "blast" even with the crappy weather. It's always a treat hitting the Okanogan with Rick and Scott. I think I gained 10 pounds though. :eek:

6. So, ya found the Twisp Bakery, eh??

Good times were had by all.

7. I agree with Gregg, a most excellent post!

joneellis likes this.
  8. Yes I did. What a great place.

Here's a few pics I took.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      3.8 MB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      4.2 MB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      4.4 MB
      Views:
  9. Nice job

10. I'm really sorry to have missed it; looks like you guys had fun in spite of the weather!

11. Steve, love the colors on that brookie...

12. The camera didn't do it justice. It was super bright orange. Brookies are one of my all time favorite fish.

13. Nice job, fellas. Nice job. I liked the report and pics. Color me green with envy.

14. Sounds like an awesome few days. And yes, Irish Death is quite tasty.

15. Roper. You are a cool dude.

16. What would you expect from someone born in Rochester and raised in Honeyoye, NY....? :cool:

17. Roper- what a small world. Let me know if you ever get the taste for some genny cream ale or honey brown lager

18. "Cool Dude", exactly...None better.....