Casting & Blasting in Wyoming

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by wyofly, Jan 5, 2013.

1. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

I'm fortunate to live where cast and blast is the norm during the fall months. When the mountain grouse season opens in September I load up the horses, my favorite 4 wt. rod and my 28 Ga. Parker and go into the Big Horn mountains for a day of casting and blasting. The trout are generally small ranging from 10-12 inches with the occasional 16+ inch cutthroat. At least once a season, we spend a week trout fishing and grouse hunting in the mountains.
    During the waterfowl and pheasant season, I hunt and fish along the Big Horn river and the islands in the river. I change to a 6 wt. rod and a #2 AyA in 16 Ga.
    Top of pic is a #2 AyA 16 Ga. and a 6wt. 9' Sage rod. Bottom of pic is a 28 Ga. Parker Repro and a 4 wt. 9' Sage rod.

[​IMG]

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    NIRVANA...lucky you! How long have you lived in Wyoming? Those are two very nice looking shotguns and custom rods. I have built rods for many years, but never have done a wood grip...besides the weight, always thought they would be too slick.

3. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

My wife and I bought our ranch 16 years ago. The wood is local Juniper, a very light wood with many different colors. At first, I thought that the wood grips would be slippery, but that is not the case in either fresh or saltwater. If you have a lathe you can turn a handle and drill a center hole pretty quick. It does take a little time with a rattail file, but not much more than with cork.

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Nice! Where about in Wyoming are you? One of my former Boeing co-workers bought 80 acres in Worland and loves it there.

5. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Sounds like you're living the dream! Beautiful guns and very nice rods.

6. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

freestone angler wrote"Nice! Where about in Wyoming are you? One of my former Boeing co-workers bought 80 acres in Worland and loves it there."
    We are about 20 miles north of Worland with about 2 miles of Big Horn River frontage. It's a good place to live and only 2 1/2 hours from a mall.:)

7. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Thanks Steve, yes it has been a life long dream.